• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, decided on a 3080? Which manufacturer and why?

Soldato
why? Lots of people plan to water cool so if you want a block from the start, your choice is going to be FE or any AIB card which is reference and gives a good long UK warranty.

what else is needed to know before you make your decision?

I have my preferred choices down to two cards.

if you wait until reviews are out are suspect they will all be sold out so. If not, no harm done, just send the first you you bought back or cancel it’s order.

FE isn't reference its custom. Nvidia have already said that.

Waiting for reviews but zotac, gigabyte, msi or evga for me.

Caporegime

I know and waterboard manufacturers have blocks available for the custom FE AND the reference AIB cards at launch date. Two different blocks.

if it was impossible to get the cooler off without breaking damaging the FE, waterblock manufacturers wouldn’t have wasted their r&d in making one to sell.

Soldato

Yes but there will be WC for ref and FE out confirmed so far.
I haven't had a GPU in my loop since I bought the 1080, and really would like to keep it that way … I don't want to add another £150 + to the price !

Soldato
why? Lots of people plan to water cool so if you want a block from the start, your choice is going to be FE or any AIB card which is reference and gives a good long UK warranty.

what else is needed to know before you make your decision?

I have my preferred choices down to two cards.

if you wait until reviews are out are suspect they will all be sold out so. If not, no harm done, just send the first you you bought back or cancel it’s order.

Granted for the few people planning to put under water the cooler and aesthetics don’t matter, but everything else still does.
General performance, power delivery and the 10Gb fiasco will still be valid reasons to wait for a review.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I just want to see the proper reviews for the 3080 FE on monday and then I see how much Nvidia cheated with the performance figures and how bad/good an overclocker the 3000 series is.

Then I can decided whether a 3080 would be a pointless buy and whether I can stomach paying £1400 for the 3090 which might then give me a decent lift in performance.

Permabanned
I will probably get either a Gigabyte or MSI. Perhaps Asus.
Over the years I have bought far more Gigabyte than anyone else. Asus aren't bad and are an option. MSI I like because they tend to have over-the-top cooling solutions which I like but they can be a little lazy in their designs at times. It will come down to the tests and reviews. I am sure one of those will shine and that's the one I will get.

Associate
Over the years I have bought far more Gigabyte than anyone else. Asus aren't bad and are an option. MSI I like because they tend to have over-the-top cooling solutions which I like but they can be a little lazy in their designs at times. It will come down to the tests and reviews. I am sure one of those will shine and that's the one I will get.
Same re:Gigabyte.

Never really had an issue with them. UK based warranty, tend to give decent warranty lengths too. 4 years on my 2070 Super, 3/4 Years on my AD27QD

Soldato

Same re:Gigabyte.

Never really had an issue with them. UK based warranty, tend to give decent warranty lengths too. 4 years on my 2070 Super, 3/4 Years on my AD27QD

just whether their Aorus card is just TOO Big . would have been nice to see the Master slot sizing between Gaming OC and Xtreme

Soldato
I asked my guy and he can only get PNY cards at the mo, he didn't get any response from anyone other than them sooo...

I had a GTX670 from PNY back in the day that was a bit whiney, hopefully, he'll get a bit more feedback from people by the time it comes to order time.

Associate
Looking at FE, as alternative was looking at ASUS TUF or Palit as they separate the GPU/VRM and memory cooling/heat sinks so could allow better overclocks (for cheaper cards) but I see yesterday the prices for the Palit have gone up above FE and I'm not looking to pay more than that if I can help it. If I can't get an FE will probably be the ASUS TUF, also matches my MB X570 TUF.

If its an AIB card with the fan blowing through I'm going to design and 3D print a shroud to direct that airflow to the rear case fans and not over my RAM/CPU

Back
Top Bottom