• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So did Nvidia screw everyone over with the MSRP of the 3080?

Soldato
maybe I'm just risk adverse but if I didn't have insurance I wouldn't be buying expensive stuff that I'm not happy to lose from damage/or being stolen etc

You don't need insurance for those type of things unless you are clumsy, live in a high crime rate area, or easily misplace stuff. What I've saved in insurance premiums outweighs any losses so far.

Now the insurance for the dog, well that's already in 4 figures/year but he's had his moneys worth.

The insurance company never loses - the more you claim the more your premium increases. Insurance is a payment for any covered loss, up front. Sounds like you've been easily sucked into this payment under the guise of 'peace of mind'.

Permabanned
Who knows? I haven't actually seen one for sale yet. Whatever they did, they really messed up.... again...

Soldato
I don't have contents insurance because I can afford to replace things if the get stolen/broken.

99% of the time people spend more money on insurance rather than just replacing stuff.

sonifbyour house burns down you can just drop 30 thousand quid to replace stuff?

Soldato
3080 FE's have been on sale several times, you just need to be fast.
I paid £680 for my Palit 3080 the day after launch.

I don't think Nvidia screwed anybody with the MSRP. Just a lot of demand and not enough supply but it seems AMD, Sony and MS are facing the same issues so I doubt Nvidia can be solely responsible for that. People are screwing themselves over by feeding the scalpers. If people stopped paying stupid prices there wouldn't be any scalpers :cool:

Associate
The FE's are a vanity project for Nvidia to help with marketing. They price fixed the prices they sell at to the MSRP of £649 in order for marketing to have a low RRP and a nice fancy (and expensive) cooler design to make the adverts super appealing and to build hype. But they make a very limited number of them so they're not a realistic option for the vast majority of people who are stuck with AIB models. Meanwhile the AIBs realistically sell for about £720 upwards for the base models and even higher for the fancy OC stuff.

RRP isn't what sets prices in the marketplace but rather supply and demand, with low supply and high demand the prices shoot up, the only reason the FEs stay at £649 is because Nvidia price fixes them when their partners sell them. The price fixing is to maintain the illusion that the cards are as cheap as 649 when in reality most people will pay way more. If you look at the cost to produce the FEs especially this time around with a custom PCB design and expensive cooler, the cards are pretty much sold at cost, there's no real profit on them for Nvidia, the benefit is in the hype they bring and being able to create otherwise impossibly good marketing claims.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

sonifbyour house burns down you can just drop 30 thousand quid to replace stuff?
Yes. Also the likelyhood of my house burning down is infinitely small, so why waste money on insurance when I can afford to replace things? Insurance is for people who can't afford to lose the investment. The truth is though, I wouldn't replace many of the things lost if the house burnt down.

Everything I have not paid in insurance has gone into a savings account. I effectively self insure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Well they screwed themselves out of the £650 I was prepared to give them for a 3080 FE by not having it generally available for sale.

I don't think they care. It's pushing prices up, and once those prices are up they will stay up. We didn't arrive at £650 for a GPU overnight, it started with the mining craze back in 2017 or thereabouts, and has crept up steadily every year since.

When they realised people will buy no matter the price, the old GPU pricing structure disappeared for good. It's never coming back, and this year will be no different I'm sorry to say. :(

Soldato
Yes. Also the likelyhood of my house burning down is infinitely small, so why waste money on insurance when I can afford to replace things? Insurance is for people who can't afford to lose the investment. The truth is though, I wouldn't replace many of the things lost if the house burnt down.

Everything I have not paid in insurance has gone into a savings account. I effectively self insure.

A basic £50,000 contents policy which includes accidental damage to electricals can be had for approx £8 per month through some reputable companies.
You're saving £96 per year, less than £1000 over ten years, at the risk of having to pay out thousands if something were to happen.

I'm sorry, but putting £8 per month into a savings account is nowhere near "self insuring" LOL :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

A basic £50,000 contents policy which includes accidental damage to electricals can be had for approx £8 per month through some reputable companies.
You're saving £96 per year, less than £1000 over ten years, at the risk of having to pay out thousands if something were to happen.

I'm sorry, but putting £8 per month into a savings account is nowhere near "self insuring" LOL :D

For a **** policy with low single item limits. A proper policy is more like 30 quid. Still a waste of money if you never avail yourself of it.

I'm 42 and there has never been an instance where I've thought "Damn, I wish I had insurance for that"*

*Not including compulsory insurance in that statement.

Associate
Well they screwed themselves out of the £650 I was prepared to give them for a 3080 FE by not having it generally available for sale.
They don't care about the £650 you was going to spend with them. That's the point. The FE is a bargain if you can get it but NVIDIA are not in the business of outselling the AIB partners. They expect most people to buy the AIB. If you can't get the FE and won't buy the AIB someone else will.

Permabanned
You know from reading some posts I get the idea that there is a certain misplaced hysteria with the 3080, in that people seem to be expecting it to be far more powerful than it is. Actual real world gaming it's coming in at about 50% better than the 2080S and only 24% faster than the 2080ti. Whether this is due to people buying cards that they just can't make the most of, I don't know, but these are not huge numbers. Certainly good, but not really worthy of mass hysteria, and certainly not worthy of increasing the one thing that was really good about them - the price.

Associate
Got my 3080 for £680... and damn right I'm going to make OCuk ship it, even if they would rather not. Even if I manage to get another one elsewhere.

Soldato
Not from what I can see tbh, been on the Discord etc and twice on the UK site from what I have seen have there been the 3080FE's come in.
This is every FE drop in the UK to date:

screenshot_2020-12-05atj1r.png

I grabbed a 3080 on the 26th, so it's definetly not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom