• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, Exactly one year ago today, I bagged an RTX 3080 FE at MSRP..

Soldato
I still remember the moment vividly, Friday 6th August 10.30am, in the kitchen, preparing vegetables for my dinner later that day, yes really..

when the telegram alert on my phone pinged!

Then this was me..

Runs to computer, In my rush I forget to first dry soaking wet hands, cant use the keyboard to place order..AARRGGHH!!!!!!

Runs back to kitchen, dry hands, approximately 60 seconds have now been wasted, catastrophe! Surely I have missed my chance..runs back to computer, clicks on link to Nvidia store, 3080FE still showing in stock..WTF!

Clicks 'Buy Now' goes through to some unmentionables scummy site to complete purchase, have to verify card transaction over phone, ARRGGGHH! STRESS level off the chart!!

Finally...Purchase Verified.

Gets card on following Monday, Sells RTX 2080 following week for £450!

In the most catastrophic year ever known for buying a GPU, I win!

In the past year, I've seen my FE card rise in value to over £1250 at its peak, to somewhere now approaching 'can't give the buggers away'

If you'd told me that buying a GPU could ever be such an ordeal, I'd have laughed in your face
:D

Soldato
I was glad to grab a 3080 TI FE last December, but would have happily saved £400 and bought a 3080 FE but they'd stopped the drops for them.

Still, considering AIB 3080's were more expensive than the 3080 Ti FE at the time, it was a no-brainer for me.

Soldato
Bought 3080 Fe from drop few months after launch thanks to the alerts , should have sold it when was going double the price hehe

Associate
Bought 3080 Fe from drop few months after launch thanks to the alerts , should have sold it when was going double the price hehe

I should have ignored the "wait for RDNA2", and just grabbed the 5700xt. Then i could've also made a few quid whilst grabbing a new card. But such is life. Still no new GPU for me currently, and just waiting now till winter now. I missed Halo Infinite due to current card being too weak, but hardly a loss it seems.

Soldato
I had much of the same panic buying mine but I was at work so had to do it all on my phone, Just looked at it was July last year I got mine.

Soldato
It was either FE or nothing no chance I was gonna pay £1k+ for AIB 3080 at the time

Didn't take long getting the FE 3080 at the time the drops used to be every 2 weeks so only few weeks getting one

Associate
The alert saved my life.

Got my 3080 FE last year, did the thermal pad mod from day 1 as the memory temps. were into the 100’s.

Now I can sit and wait for the AM5 2nd gen. CPU (or Intel) and 50/60 series (or AMD) GPU to feed my next upgrade itch.

Caporegime
My 1080 is struggling with MSFS2020. Especially in vr!

It depends on how the release of the new cards pan out but I'm hopeful.
My 1080ti is just fine with 2020, especially in VR.

Best of it all was I got it B-Grade from OC/U.K. just before all this lunacy started.

Could have sold it for double at one point, even had people messaging me after mentioning I had one on various faceache groups (I wasn’t advertising it for sale, just people seemed that desperate to bag a GPU!)

Undoubtedly my best GPU purchase, and I’m keeping it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom