• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, Exactly one year ago today, I bagged an RTX 3080 FE at MSRP..

Associate
i bought a zotac 3090 from the rainforest in dec 2020 for mrsp, it made a major difference compared to the 1080 it replaced.
then bought a decent make (i forget which 1) 3090 in about may 2021 for mrsp but had to wait 3 months on a waiting list, sold it unopened for a small profit.
lastly i bought a 3080ti FE using telegram alerts for mrsp in about august 2021.
i sold the zotac 3090 (because it was **** for a 3090), got what i paid for it new even though it was used, and used the 3080ti FE in my pc which i still have to this day.
the 3080ti FE is faster than the zotac 3090!

Associate
Does any one else despise the 'drop' terminology used for these trickled in product shipments?

As though good guy corp is heroically pushing through enemy lines and blockades to airdrop in vital supplies to embattled soldiers deep in hostile territory.
Or likewise, bravely and against all odds, running humanitarian supply drops for civilians trapped suffering horrendous graphics-famine living conditions... impoverished gamers panic rushing to snatch whatever handful grains of silica subsistence they could prise from amongst their compatriots in their few minutes of frenzied desperation...

...hmm.. yeah maybe I'm reading too much into it..

Associate
Well done you got one! I gave up on getting one after almost a dozen tries of hyper stressful panic trying to buy whenever I got an alert and I just wasn't lucky.

Still chugging along with a 1070.

Associate
In a totally somnambulant gfx market for god knows how long after the mostly paper launches the fes were the only thing of interest apart from an occasional aib drop at god knows how much above mrsp. Some said they were some kind of cynical ploy but it just made it interesting.

Last edited:
Associate
yep, modern language is full of rubbish. Politicians talking about 'levelling up', gambling adverts shortening accumulators to 'accas' etc. Absolute mind pollution.
"Hustle" is my least favorite as in "I have a side hustle to make money to upgrade my gaming rig". Not only is the idea of having to work 24/7 gross on many levels, it's also emblematic of materialism and lack of agency i.e. the times we live in. I also hate some of the twee cutesy shortened words/phrases Brits in particular use: spag bowl, veg, pud, insta... Ick, so cringey. Just use the full word!

As for my ride on the 3-series crazy train, I was very lucky. I got two 3080s launch day for MSRP (from two different vendors). Thanks to the crypto craze and subsequent crash, I ultimately parlayed those two cards into a 3090 and a new power rack and a few hundred kg in weight plates.

Soldato
I got my 3070 from an OCUK forum only deal in June last year.

I had missed a couple, but setup an alert on the forum for any new threads in the seperate GPU section.

Anyway, was out walking around the fields here ony lunch break. I also had whatever discord alert thing which popped up 3070 in stock OCUK. Flicked onto the site out of interest, I had been watching prices and drops for months. Saw the 3070 there for 10 grand of whatever that place holder price was. No thread yet, but I knew it was coming. I was about a mile from home and no method of payment. ****!

I ran home, and I'm not particularly fit, got home slumped in a sweaty out of breath mess on my PC chair, just as the discount code was going up on the forum and bagged it.

I was like a school boy on Christmas day. £600 and has only recently been bettered price wise, no regrets at all.

Soldato
so how many did u sell them, ban this scalper :cry:

I sold them 1 :)
I was going to keep it and sell my 3080, but decided the small bump in performance wasn't worth holding onto it

I even replaced the thermal pads in the day I had it. Still ran too hot and noisy for my liking though which helped make the decision to keep the 3080 instead

• Haha
Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I sold them 1 :)
I was going to keep it and sell my 3080, but decided the small bump in performance wasn't worth holding onto it

I even replaced the thermal pads in the day I had it. Still ran too hot and noisy for my liking though which helped make the decision to keep the 3080 instead

Few understand :cry:

Associate
I was sat in the tea hut at work all logged in on over lockers on release day and managed to snag a 3080 on launch day a couple minuets after they went live. Was so lucky before the site crashed.

Back
Top Bottom