So from my dvd collection...

Soldato
Here are the films I haven't watched! I'm just wondering if there are any films listed that are absolute must watches?

I intend on watching 2 a day for a while :)

Casablanca 7/10
Transporter
Thin Red Line
Tsotsi
Some Like it Hot
Hard Boiled
The Good The Bad and the Ugly 9/10
Analyse This
L.A Confidential
Schindlers List
Seven Samaurai 8/10
Bullet In The Head
Vertigo
Rear Window 8/10
Raging Bull
Fearless
Unleashed
Psycho
O Brother, Where Art Thou
Full Contact
Metropolis
In Bruges
Alien 1/2/3

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There are many classics in there, you have a lot to look forward to! I'll comment on a few:

Some Like it Hot is still surprisingly sharp and funny considering its age, so I certainly wouldn't overlook it.

Schindler's List is one of the most harrowing films I have ever seen - it's a tough watch at times so make sure you are in the mood for it.

I can't believe your a film student and you haven't seen Alien - that has to be the perfect example of building suspense in a film ever, surely? :p

The first two Alien films are very good (if not slightly slow by today's standards), whilst the third is passable.

Soldato
Vertigo. Hitchcock innovated techniques that changed cinema.

Remember that iconic scene in JAWS, the fast pullback zoom where Scheider is on a deckchair and suddenly realises the impending doom? First used in Vertigo, and hardly ever credited as such.

Man of Honour
Casablanca and Seven Samurai are absolute must watches, the rest you can watch in any order you choose although personally speaking I'd probably watch Fearless and In Bruges very rapidly after the first two but that's just because I enjoy them rather than them being peerless films as the first two are.

Associate
PSYCHO! The best psychological thriller ever made.

Make sure you watch it late at night in the dark and on your own, if you don't **** yourself then you're a braver man than I (probably not that difficult);)
It does have a slow start but stick with it, it is more than worth it.

Edit: Please say you're talking about the original film and not that heinous remake about five years ago?!!

@DampCat - is the quote in your sig from 'The Raven' by Edgar Allen Poe?

Last edited:
Associate
I would have to say that The Good The Bad & The Ugly is my favorite movie of all time. I've been a huge fan since I was about five. The movie can be enjoyed on many levels and was loved by everybody I forced to watch it :D

Don
leave Transporter until last, that shouldn't even be in the same list as the other films

my vote for the next film goes to 'Rear Window'

also, buy 12 Angry Men

Back
Top Bottom