So...How do I get into detailing?

Soldato
Right... my car really freaking annoys me. The swirl marks, I think Ive got a problem. I can't enjoy looking at it close up because of the sight of such minor marks.

So I was thinking (Ive had a lot of time to do that this week as Im off work with an injury) how do I get into detailing? And I mean proper detailing with machines etc, not like my neighbour treating his car to some turtle wax while proceeding to tell me he's detailed it.

I figured it will cost me around £200 to get my car done professionally.

How much are we talking for start up costs and whats needed? I'd like it to be more of a hobby on friends and family cars for the time being as Ive already got a full time job and a part time business on the go. I know some people with some fairly decent cars so getting a portfolio together should be easy If I was to get into this properly and start taking customers.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;15053628 said:
Lol you have never even done it before and already you are thinking of a portfolio so you can charge for it?

Erm...Lol its called planning ahead.

Obviously I want to get a machine first.

I also meant to ask if there are courses you can go on rather than learning from the internet. As I really wouldnt like to make a mess and land myself with a respray :o

If I never make a penny back I really wouldnt care aslong as I enjoy myself, and get my car looking how it should be.

Associate
[TW]Fox;15053628 said:
Lol you have never even done it before and already you are thinking of a portfolio so you can charge for it?

Its only washing cars, I've seen fresh import Albanians doing it in town.

Geet going mate, and fleece the anal morons.

Soldato
I swear 90% of the people over at Detailing world are the sorts of people who make love to their car. Its just not normal to be so anal about cleaning ones vehicle :confused:

Soldato
OP
Head over to www.detailingworld.co.uk , tons of information there and IIRC there were a few on there that were offering beginners the chance to go and practice and get advice on techniques etc.

Thanks mate, exactly what I was after. :)

I swear 90% of the people over at Detailing world are the sorts of people who make love to their car. Its just not normal to be so anal about cleaning ones vehicle :confused:

Oh I agree, to be honest I just want my car to be pretty decent. Tiny swirl makrs don't bother me a lot, but lots of random slight scratches (from kids in the drive on bikes & footballs) do when they are as noticable as mine.

Then cleaning my mrs' car today, which hasnt been washed for 3 months, and has been scraped along every single brach down the narrow country road leading to her house, made me decide that I wanted a machine and wanted to be able to get rid of slight scratches.

None of this beading crap particulalrly bothers me, I want a shiney, scratch free car.

HAHA. I own wax and clay.

It was that retard Mark with the Arctic White VXR that put me off it for life.

I own wax and clay too, but you haven't seen the marks on my car, no amount of waxing will hide it. :mad:

Soldato

You wonder how they can bear to drive their cars after spending 24 hours solid cleaning every nook and cranny.

I'm all for keeping the car clean, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Caporegime
HAHA. I own wax and clay.

It was that retard Mark with the Arctic White VXR that put me off it for life.

All that effort on a sodding Vauxhall :p

I can understand if you've got a new car and it's covered in swirls, I'd probably get it corrected but I wouldn't really break into a sweat about it :p

Soldato
I spent over 1k on bits n bobs for doing the cars, it all adds up quickly. If you were to do expensive cars you really need a paint depth meter and the good ones that can work on all body types are around £500.

Soldato
go to a scrappy get a panel or bonnett off a car and practise on that until your happy with the result and then use it on your car :)

Beaten too it :)

Great way of learning as most scrapyard panels are in need of a good 'detail'

I had a go on a few bonnets with my bro's Porta-Cable. Quite easy once you know how much pressure to apply and to stay away from edges.

Soldato
OP
go to a scrappy get a panel or bonnett off a car and practise on that until your happy with the result and then use it on your car :)

Great idea :) WIll definately be doing this.

I spent over 1k on bits n bobs for doing the cars, it all adds up quickly. If you were to do expensive cars you really need a paint depth meter and the good ones that can work on all body types are around £500.

Ouch. Which machine did you go for? Having had a quick look at the top 3 that are recommended on that detailingworld website, the Meguiars G220 looks like the easiest option?

EDIT : Damn, had seen the Paint Depth Meter but hadn't got around to pricing that up yet :(

Soldato
I own wax and clay too, but you haven't seen the marks on my car, no amount of waxing will hide it. :mad:

Autoglym Ultra Deep Polish works wonders on Sapphire Black.

P1030873.jpg

Soldato
Ouch. Which machine did you go for? Having had a quick look at the top 3 that are recommended on that detailingworld website, the Meguiars G220 looks like the easiest option?

EDIT : Damn, had seen the Paint Depth Meter but hadn't got around to pricing that up yet :(

I started with a Porta-Cable imported from the states then got a Makita polisher. The G220 would be an equivalent of a Porta-Cable.

Back
Top Bottom