So I got this £2 coin in change today.

Soldato
As the title says guys. Got given a £2 coin in change today and on initial inspection was like; "oh look it's and old £2 coin commemorating the commonwealth games in Scotland". Wasn't till I got home however that I noticed the oofing great capital A embossed into the back of it, so of course the romantic dreamer in me started thinking along the lines of, 'well this is irregular, irregular equates to cash monies'. On inspection it looks to me that the letter A is too neat to be embossed post circulation, but what do I know.
Just after your thoughts really and I'm preempting hilarity.

2poundcoin.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got one of the 1989 two pound coins that look similar. Don't know about your coin though.

Also. maybe resize the pic ?

this one :
1989: Tercentenary of the Scottish Claim of Right.
Reverse: Intertwined W and M (for William and Mary) with mace, Scottish crown above, 1689 over 1989 below, TERCENTENARY OF THE CLAIM OF RIGHT above.
No edge inscription.

Last edited:
Soldato
"The British two pound (£2) coin was first issued as a commemorative coin in 1986 to celebrate the Commonwealth Games in Scotland. Six further commemorative issues followed between 1989 and 1996. These coins did not circulate in large numbers."

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_pounds_(British_coin)

And yes, it would seem that the coin is quite rare today.

edit: If your just going to spend it let me know, I'll give you £3 for it (£1 for the time). My wife collects UK coins, no joke.

Last edited:
Soldato
looks like you are out of luck op :p
2 x 1986 Commonwealth Games Two Pound CoinsItem condition: --

Time left: 11h 51m 24s (10 Apr, 201113:12:22 BST)

Starting bid: £5.00 [ 0 bids ]

Place bid

Enter £5.00 or more

Add to Watch list

Postage: Free - Economy Delivery | See all deliverydetails
Item location: Cardiff, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Post to: United Kingdom

Delivery: Estimated within 5-7 working days

Payments: | See payment information

Returns: No returns ac

unless its gold :p

lcg

lcg

Associate
Wikipedia said:
The British two pound (£2) coin was first issued as a commemorative coin in 1986 to celebrate the Commonwealth Games in Scotland. Six further commemorative issues followed between 1989 and 1996. These coins did not circulate in large numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_pounds_(British_coin)

I didn't realise this. I just assumed the first £2 coins were the general-circulation ones first issued in 1998.

I have no idea what the A is for though.

Soldato
OP
Pics sorted now guys.
Just to save a lot of needless posts, I have read Wikipedia and the top hits from a simple Google search.
I was more interested in the capital letter A embossed on it and wondered if anybody had any experiences with anything similar post circulation, i.e. it was done at time of manufacture for one reason or another.
Please tell me I'm sitting on a fortune! :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom