So I test-drove a Tesla today

Soldato
OP
I must be getting old - I want the least noise as possible - no engine -road or wind noise - I want to waft in total silence unless I can listen to top quality music. :)

The speakers in the car seemed okay, but I don't think they're a match for B&W/Meridian/JBL/Dynaudio stuff (in cars)

Seems a weird point to make, considering it's a 70k car? Not to mention the huge running cost savings of electric?

In all fairness, I did say I'd spend 100K on one of these, which the P100D is (or just about with the Autopilot stuff)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd love to see how well someone could replicate a good engine noise with a decent amount of cash and time

I'd imagine some of the game companies who have made Gran Turismo, Forza etc, have captured some very detailed sounds. Then it's just a case of a playing the right note depending on a clever throttle position/moving speed algorithm.

Associate
Hmmm, genuinely conflicted on the model s. Currently have an Octavia whose PCP runs out at the end of the year and I have a bigger budget this time that would stretch to a cheaper model S (website has a 2019 model @ £680/month for example). However, I can't help feeling that I'd look over to an AMG, RS4 or other petrol driven beast and feel wistful. That and the additional inconvenience for the much longer trips I do every now and again, I might just wonder why I chose to spend so much.

What might kill it is towing ability - last time I looked (a while ago to be fair) the model s hadn't been type approved for towing yet (although more than capable to do it)?

Soldato
I'd imagine some of the game companies who have made Gran Turismo, Forza etc, have captured some very detailed sounds. Then it's just a case of a playing the right note depending on a clever throttle position/moving speed algorithm.

It still never sounds good though because it's still digital and an approximation. Also lacks depth to the noise.

The cars which have it already (like sporty Renaults) all sound ridiculously ****.

Soldato
I’m waiting for the optional software maps on electric cars which can mimic characteristics of classic engines.

Imagine VTEC kicking in on a Tesla mapped to a Honda F20C or the ever increasing acceleration of a great NA engine (like a certain 3.8 flat six) as it screams towards the redline. Would be the ultimate driving sim, especially if adjustable rear wheel steering and damper rates could be incorporated to mimic handling characteristics. Could even mimic the body roll of a three wheeler if you wanted!

Soldato
As ridiculous as a Corsa which is made to sound like "Racecar" imho, embrace the silence of electric!
Definitely! IIRC BOSE are working on in car active noise cancelling to help drown out the remaining wind and tyre noise. Wafting along in absolute silence or with some music on quietly in the background... lovely!

Soldato
For me, driving is about how a car excites my senses, and part of that excitement comes from sound.
The V8 in the M5, for example, makes such a nice sound. The deep, throaty monster never fails to put a smile on my face. And, for me, that's the problem - it doesn't scratch the itch of a "driver's" car - you wouldn't want to take it on a tour through the Scottish Highlands.
You get used to the lack of sound very quickly. I used to love the sound of a nice exhaust... I had a lovely titanium setup on a thumping V-Twin Ducati. Now when I hear a loud exhaust shooting up the road I can't help but think to myself "I can make the same, if not quicker, progress and in beautiful silence".

Maybe it's just my age :D

OcUK Staff
They just dropped the price by 50k for the P100D

https://www.drivingelectric.com/tesla/807/tesla-model-s-and-model-x-price-increase-planned

Most the options seem to be standard now also.

At this price point it’s not a bad car. I assume a year old car will be around £55k

Tesla does little for me, crazy fast, zero emotion, but at 80-90k for a car with such acceleration and such low running cost, that is an absolute bargain. Less than 20k more than an I-Pace for a much faster car, OK the looks and interior are somewhat questionable on the Tesla but the design does make them very accessible.

I can see the Porsche E-Tron or whatever its called being incredible, it will be a drastic improvement looks wise and handle better, for me that is Tesla second biggest let down, a 100k car that looks like a Mondeo, of course biggest issue being sound, but the new price makes them more attractive for sure.

Am guessing Tesla had a bit of a knee jerk with 50k off, thus realised that was a bit much and hence prices going back up, shows the kind of margins some car manufacturers have though.

Soldato
As ridiculous as a Corsa which is made to sound like "Racecar" imho, embrace the silence of electric!

Yep, a car has to sound good or be silent for me. A bad noise is just annoying :)

A loud 1.2 Corsa = annoying
A loud v8 or v12 = yes

Though I don't mind boxer rumble either as long as it's not TOO loud.

Soldato
it will be a drastic improvement looks wise and handle better, for me that is Tesla second biggest let down, a 100k car that looks like a Mondeo
This is one of the things I like about them. I think they look nice, but they blend in pretty well. I don't really do flash or "look at me" so it suits me nicely. You still get the odd "look" and a little attention from people who know what they are which can be nice but they don't attract too much attention.

OcUK Staff
This is one of the things I like about them. I think they look nice, but they blend in pretty well. I don't really do flash or "look at me" so it suits me nicely. You still get the odd "look" and a little attention from people who know what they are which can be nice but they don't attract too much attention.

But they are bland like a Mondeo, with an average quality interior like a Mondeo, but befitting of a 30k car. The Tesla is a 100k car and for me if it looked more like a top of the range series with similar quality then I'd be happier, the I-Pace has a better quality interior and is also a better looking. Its not about standing out, its more about it looking good quality and a car does not need to stand out to shout quality.

Caporegime
I must be getting old - I want the least noise as possible - no engine -road or wind noise - I want to waft in total silence unless I can listen to top quality music. :)

Any decent car should do that IMO. Practically most of the time, and only piping up when you put the boot down hard. Mine is practically silent (including wind and road noise) when the engine is at 2000rpm or less (99% of the time), but I get a nice throaty V8 noise when want to feel some acceleration.

That said, I do like the idea of quietness of an EV, especially in a car with a smaller, harder working engine.

Back
Top Bottom