So it had to happen - PLASMA now died - Update for AV now.

Soldato
Have no idea on modern TVs apart from OLED is bad idea due to my own ineptitude of wandering off and forgetting it was left on (Read a few posts on this forum to convince its not for me).
If you come from plasma why would this be a problem? I am a projector person over TV so I might have missed something. Isn't Plasma the one where you shouldn't leave something on the screen and walk away? If OLED is the same surely you are used to that?

Soldato
If you come from plasma why would this be a problem? I am a projector person over TV so I might have missed something. Isn't Plasma the one where you shouldn't leave something on the screen and walk away? If OLED is the same surely you are used to that?
It is..

I've been through Rear Projection, Plasma, now OLED and we have an older 2016 LG OLED on main duty with zero screen burn issues despite the kids or the Mrs not taking any 'care'.. By contrast my older Pioneer 43" Plasma had image retention at the drop of a hat and I had to take 'care' of it to keep it manageable.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Holy thread revival...

So ended up with a 77" Sony XR OLED.

After fighting all day to get it on wall just watched guardians of the galaxy and it's like watching a new movie.

Why did I wait so long OLED is bloody brilliant!!

Soldato
Holy thread revival...

So ended up with a 77" Sony XR OLED.

After fighting all day to get it on wall just watched guardians of the galaxy and it's like watching a new movie.

Why did I wait so long OLED is bloody brilliant!!
Saw these in John Lewis a few weeks back they look absolutely incredible. It’s on my wish list, but work on the house and a wedding has priority for now!

Enjoy!!

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
So after the TV is sorted, I was thinking of adding some surround sound but as I am just a average joe with a 3 bed detached AV setup was not even thought about in the 1950s when the house was built. Currently I have Sony NT-7 Soundbar (which sounds great) but time has moved on.

Is it even worth bothering with 5.1 or should I get just get a new and improved sound bar (music is still important) Not floor standers either, any ideas ?

Room as below, so not ideal.

GCN47Pi.jpg

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Not thought of Sonos and after the old product pull malarky and over the air support Sonos kind of put me off.

Man of Honour
So after the TV is sorted, I was thinking of adding some surround sound but as I am just a average joe with a 3 bed detached AV setup was not even thought about in the 1950s when the house was built. Currently I have Sony NT-7 Soundbar (which sounds great) but time has moved on.

Is it even worth bothering with 5.1 or should I get just get a new and improved sound bar (music is still important) Not floor standers either, any ideas ?

Room as below, so not ideal.

GCN47Pi.jpg

If you're happy with the NT-7* then, other than for Atmos if you want it, is there a compelling reason to change?

Technology certainly moves on, but not always at the pace you might expect. If anything, the past 5 or 6 years have shown that the bulk of the consumer market isn't that bothered about sound quality per se, they just want the bells and whistles. The advances made with HD audio from Blu-ray and UHD disc have been largely discarded in favour of compressed audio via DD 5.1 and DD+ 5.1 with Atmos. If you're watching Sky or Virgin or streaming Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc then DD5.1 or DD+ is the best you're going to get.

Stereo audio performance from sound bars / sound bases has improved with the advent of products such as the Naim Mu-So, but then again the Mu-So isn't a traditional sound bar. It's more of a smart speaker. But it does show that Hi-Fi performance isn't constrained to a traditional amp + two speaker layout.

Sonos is fine if you want all the streaming bells-and-whistles and the multiroom music stuff. Their control interface ap running on your smart phone or tablet still remains one of the best thought-out and easiest to use. Sound quality for movies if decent if a little bass heavy if you opt for the very pricey (IMO) sub. The surrounds (Ones or One SLs usually) do their job just fine. The Ones carry a reasonable amount of bass weight for a speaker not much larger than a tin of baked beans.

Music quality is acceptable by sound bar standards. Not the best, but not the worst by far.

With the room layout you have - i.e. firing across the short axis and with the gear parked up at one end - I think I'd be tempted to avoid any sound bar that relies solely on bounced audio to create pseudo/virtual surrounds for the sides/rear. Physical speakers are going to work much better, whether wireless or wired. Atmos by using bounced audio reflected of the ceiling shouldn't be a problem though.

( * ? - I can't find that with Google, so wonder if the model is correct?)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Expensive month....

Popped into richer sounds and as usual stellar service (I really do like company) they kindly set up a few soundbars for me and walked away with Sony HT-A7000.

Good enough for my needs and will pick up the rears after the crypto death has ended :)

For some reason the A-9000 did not work for me musically for movies they was bloody brilliant.

(Yes the model was wrong but for the life of me I can't remember what it was though)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom