• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So just how are AMD going to shoot themselves in the foot with the NAVI launch?

Caporegime
LOL, so wishful some of you.

At every release in recent years AMD have set prices for the mid and high end cards that equal Nvidia's. FuryX slower than 980ti but same RRp and more expensive on the street. Vega 64 vs 1080. Radeon 7 vs 2080.

OF course AMD are going to price these at $499 for 2070 performance. The 7nm node is very expensive.

Damn, I hate being right.

Caporegime
Well it's $449 so you were $50 out :p

And I'd still dispute the price is this high purely because 7nm is expensive.

It is probably not only the cost of 7nm, but that does set a lower bound. Anyway, my point was AMd has always priced matched Nvidia since the FuryX and I didn't see that pattern changing.

And it is not only at the high end, look at the 480 vs 1060, 590 vs 1660. etc. AMD does sometimes have some standout GPUs like the 570 and Vega 56 after that was heavily discounted

Soldato
Anyway, my point was AMd has always priced matched Nvidia since the FuryX and I didn't see that pattern changing.
True, true. I wasn't expecting AMD to sell this stuff for pennies but I also wasn't expecting full-on price parity.

I thought (or at least hoped) that the Ryzen mentality would carry over and Radeon would ride the wave of momentum and throw some disruptive shots into the gaming card space. They really haven't. Hell, I'd go as far as saying they've inadvertently embarrassed themselves.

It's clear that AMD is still 2 separate companies and Lisa Su's steady hand and attitude still hasn't permeated down into the graphics division. But then I have said for a while that Navi feels like a reset project to usher out the old and unify AMD under a single vision and direction.

Still, these 2 cards are only using about 60% of the traditional number of stream processors, which bodes well for some properly fast cards further up the stack. I'll just get my lamentations of pricing in early :p

Back
Top Bottom