• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So my 5900x is pretty toasty...

Caporegime
Installed it last night. I have a Swiftech X3 liquid cooler with 360mm radiator.

It idles at 47°C and under load it hits 90°C which seems about 10-20 degrees too high to me?

I can re-seat the plate, and I'm going to try topping up the reservoir and removing an air bubble I saw when the PC wasn't powered on but what sort of temperatures are other people getting?

Associate
That is pretty high. I think reseating it is a good start but there are a ton of threads on various processes causing CPUs to remain awake so you never get true idle - good place to start is check resource monitor and order by average CPU to see whether anything is running.

Also make sure you’re on the balanced power plan in Windows.

Associate
Something is definitely wrong - either bad contact/seating with cooler or defective CPU.

My 5800x (departed) and 5950x both stay(ed) around 30 Celsius Idle on desktop, - 70-75 in multicore intensive gaming like COD and max 80-82 in prime95, cinebench etc..

C

Soldato
Lots of people are reporting high 5900x temps.

Just recorded my temps after 30 mins of BFV and these are on the low side of what I've been getting recently.

Using a Corsair H115i Platinum, 2 x140 AIO.

Associate
I get max of 80c and idle 37c on only air, so maybe you have a problem with your cooler, thermal paste and chip?

Last edited:
Soldato
Right now my 5900x is idling around 28C custom water loop (current water temp is 22C) playing red dead 2 at 1440p I get around 55C. This is with PBO off

Associate
Phanteks P600s
Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 420mm front mounted as intake.
3 x Corsair ML 140mm, 2 top 1 rear mounted as exhaust running silent mode.

Pasted CPU with Kryonaut Thermal Grizzly.

5900x running PBO +200mhz.

Idles 27c maxes around 61c full load, will probably turn off PBO though as it seems to do sod all.

Associate
Corsair h150i, temps have been toasty for my 5900x, these chips just run hot.

From what I understand, the downside to an AIO of any kind is that they are slow to react to temperature spikes, so the 90 could from single cores boosting to before it levels out, I was getting peaks like this on my previous unit (RMA unit).

On the new chip I'm running a CPU voltage offset of -0.025 and Noctua NT-H2, no PBO
47c right now with normal background processes, peak temps during benches and games at around 76c. (Cyberpunk 2077).

will update with temps if I get a chance to test PBO today.

*Edit, PBO was on*

Last edited:
Associate
so with the voltage offset removed I am now sat at similar temps, I'm thinking that the thermal paste I was using previously may have been trash (Antec gold looking stuff) still getting spikes with the offfsets removed but the peak temps are lower

Back
Top Bottom