So my daughter was driving ....

Soldato
... down the road which had a bus lane last Thursday and was forced into the bus lane by an oncoming police car in her lane with the blues and twos on.

So if we get a ticket through the post would it worth contesting? and how would you even prove that a police car forced her into the bus lane?

Soldato
... down the road which had a bus lane last Thursday and was forced into the bus lane by an oncoming police car in her lane with the blues and twos on.

So if we get a ticket through the post would it worth contesting? and how would you even prove that a police car forced her into the bus lane?

They would have access to records indicating whether an emergency vehicle was there around that time.

Its a difficult one really, as the right course of action would have been to stay in your lane to allow the emergency vehicle to use the bus lane.

Soldato
They would have access to records indicating whether an emergency vehicle was there around that time.

Its a difficult one really, as the right course of action would have been to stay in your lane to allow the emergency vehicle to use the bus lane.

So instead of you moving over to the left you would let the police car move even further onto the wrong side of the road :eek: Can't see that going well

Soldato
If it's anything like around here then they monitor the lanes with ANPR like a hawk, go in the lane and you WILL get a ticket. They even have nice little matrix displays at the side of the road that flash up to confirm you have indeed been snapped.

Soldato
So instead of you moving over to the left you would let the police car move even further onto the wrong side of the road :eek: Can't see that going well

woops, didnt read it properly. I assumed the vehicle was coming from behind. Seems odd for it to be on the wrong side of the road though. was traffic that bad on the other side?

Soldato
First things first: http://www.wmas.nhs.uk/news/blue_light_aware.aspx

Watch that.

I am a blue light driver we NEVER expect drivers to do anything illegal or that would cause them to get a ticket, so if she went into a monitored bus lane, it's her fault if she gets a ticket and that will be a courts stance on the matter. It's like people who get flashed on Red Light cameras, their excuse is that there was an Ambulance/Police car on blue lights so I moved. If we can't make progress (At least good blue light drivers) will sit at the back of stationairy traffic and turn the sirens off, when the lights go green they go back on once traffic can move through the lights. At the end of the day what is the point in making people panic because if we cause another accident on the way to a shout it means that the person we were going to in the first place will have to wait longer.

It's also never odd for an Emergency vehicle to be on the other side of the road, but they only ever do it in extreme circumstances.

Always remember that we will do all the work. All you have to do is find somewhere SAFE and LEGAL to stop.

Last edited:
Soldato
It won't be any defence if you do get a ticket, it sucks but that's the way it is. It's up to the person driving the emergency vehicle to get around you... you can make it easier for them but if you commit an offence doing so then it's still 100% your fault.

Soldato
The problem with refusing to drive over the lines at a red light to let an emergency vehicle through is that what if those few seconds made all the difference?

Personally, i'd happily take 3 points if it meant that a life was saved, but I shouldn't have to - it's just a quite frankly ridiculous rule.

Soldato
OP
First things first: http://www.wmas.nhs.uk/news/blue_light_aware.aspx

Watch that.

I am a blue light driver we NEVER expect drivers to do anything illegal or that would cause them to get a ticket, so if she went into a monitored bus lane, it's her fault if she gets a ticket and that will be a courts stance on the matter. It's like people who get flashed on Red Light cameras, their excuse is that there was an Ambulance/Police car on blue lights so I moved. If we can't make progress (At least good blue light drivers) will sit at the back of stationairy traffic and turn the sirens off, when the lights go green they go back on once traffic can move through the lights. At the end of the day what is the point in making people panic because if we cause another accident on the way to a shout it means that the person we were going to in the first place will have to wait longer.

It's also never odd for an Emergency vehicle to be on the other side of the road, but they only ever do it in extreme circumstances.

Always remember that we will do all the work. All you have to do is find somewhere SAFE and LEGAL to stop.

Maybe the police should also watch that video as I've definitely seen police cars on call get very irate and demand that people mount pavements and verges. I've also seen a situation where they've shouted at a car at the head of red lights to move forward and cross over the line at the lights so that they could get through.

In terms of if we get a fine, I may contest and see if there's any sympathy :)

Soldato
The problem with refusing to drive over the lines at a red light to let an emergency vehicle through is that what if those few seconds made all the difference?

Personally, i'd happily take 3 points if it meant that a life was saved, but I shouldn't have to - it's just a quite frankly ridiculous rule.

Well no it's not.

We are taught to be very selfish in the way we drive (as silly as it sounds) because of the responsibilty we have as emergency drivers. If there is any risk to a menouver you need to make you don't do it.

We want to arrive there as quick as possible granted but YOU are in control of your vehicle not us. We don't expect you to go over stop lines/bus lanes etc.

Don't get me wrong, there are bad blue light drivers out there but Police are some of the finest Emergency drivers out there and i've also been trained by ex Police pursuit drivers so i'm sure that the majority of emergency drivers are similar to me in the way that they do things.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will correct my above statement the only exception to this is if you are beckoned by a uniformed officer to go through the lights.

Seriously: If you want to know what to do in full watch that video and will answer all the questions in this thread

Soldato
It's like people who get flashed on Red Light cameras, their excuse is that there was an Ambulance/Police car on blue lights so I moved. If we can't make progress (At least good blue light drivers) will sit at the back of stationairy traffic and turn the sirens off, when the lights go green they go back on once traffic can move through the lights. At the end of the day what is the point in making people panic because if we cause another accident on the way to a shout it means that the person we were going to in the first place will have to wait longer.

Serious? Last week i saw an ambulance come up behind 4 cars at a 2 lane crossroads on a red light and one of the guys at the front didn't move for ages and the ambulance used all manner of different sirens/horns until they moved. Thought edging forward over the line was a perfectly acceptable thing to do :o

Soldato
Serious? Last week i saw an ambulance come up behind 4 cars at a 2 lane crossroads on a red light and one of the guys at the front didn't move for ages and the ambulance used all manner of different sirens/horns until they moved. Thought edging forward over the line was a perfectly acceptable thing to do :o

Like I say. Not all blue light drivers are good drivers ;)

Top Bottom