• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So Sick of the GPU situation

Associate
I think going forward nvidia/AMD should think about putting in some kind of mining counter measure on gaming Gpus, on the flip side they could then release mining focused cards with small dies but high bus and memory speed for miners. The 2 markets really need product divergence.

Question for that is why would they want to do that, they can earn as much money as possible without maintaining different SKU.

Also why would a miner want to buy a dedicated mining card, they can sell to gamers when mining collapses.

Soldato
GPU prices have gone mad. 3070 now selling consistently at £800 mark. OCUK this morning had the gigabyte one at £779 I think and sold out in 10s.

3060ti market prices are now £600+

I saw some 2060s was marked as £500 and available with 2080ti at £1800.

there is an external 3080GPU at £1200. I am thinking soon enough it will make economical sense to shuck that and sell the GPU and enclosure to make money.

Caporegime
GPU prices have gone mad. 3070 now selling consistently at £800 mark. OCUK this morning had the gigabyte one at £779 I think and sold out in 10s.

3060ti market prices are now £600+

I saw some 2060s was marked as £500 and available with 2080ti at £1800.

there is an external 3080GPU at £1200. I am thinking soon enough it will make economical sense to shuck that and sell the GPU and enclosure to make money.

It's going to get *worse*

Soldato
A graphics card is made for what ever the customer wants it for. Just because you want to play games doesn't mean you're more deserving.
Why would I cry im just going to wait.

Tell that to the folk who have waited since day one for a 3080/90, look at what that Gibbo bloke said( most partners are shipping nothing at the moment) what a load of rubbish the miners are picking them all up from back handers. i already have a 3090FE so enjoy the wait :):):D

Soldato
I think going forward nvidia/AMD should think about putting in some kind of mining counter measure on gaming Gpus, on the flip side they could then release mining focused cards with small dies but high bus and memory speed for miners. The 2 markets really need product divergence.

Didn't AMD do that this generation and cripple mining on 6000 series cards ? Well made them not worth the time and they even stated they did that to make sure cards end up with the gamers ? I'm sure I read that somewhere. It's only Nvidia that is worth mining on this generation from what I understand of what is going on with mining.

Also not going to get involved in the argument if mining is right or wrong but my personal opinion is it's nothing more than a pyramid scheme where the few at top make money and lots of loosers at the bottom. Also agree on the waste of energy issue too and not too happy about this waste on a stupid scheme that will fail in time and be looked back as a bad joke.. but that's my opinion on it all. Also a bit disappointed in Elon Musk and his contribution to this, as he should know better..:rolleyes:

Soldato
Tell that to the folk who have waited since day one for a 3080/90, look at what that Gibbo bloke said( most partners are shipping nothing at the moment) what a load of rubbish the miners are picking them all up from back handers. i already have a 3090FE so enjoy the wait :):):D
You mean tell it to myself, I'm still waiting for a 3070. I'm happy to wait because my world doesn't collapse just because I can't buy a new graphics card.

Soldato
You mean tell it to myself, I'm still waiting for a 3070. I'm happy to wait because my world doesn't collapse just because I can't buy a new graphics card.

Yes indeed, but we as enthusiasts spend a ton of money on our hardware and i hate getting dicked around by matters which should not be our problem, of course there are other things going on the world, dribs and drabs of cards coming here is laughable, so pleased i bombed Asus off after being told told the cards are coming over 5 months ago.

Soldato
I sympathise it's quite a frustrating thing.

However - People are fed up, because they insist on buying an RTX 3080 or RX 6000 series GPU. As you know, they are (virtually) impossible to buy at RRP because AMD / NV can't produce nearly enough of them. People who pay well above RRP are unfortunately just pushing up the prices when buying from retailers and auction sellers - They generally charge whatever they think people are willing to pay. Online retailers use algorithms to automatically adjust prices, based on how quickly stock sells, and how many are remaining.

You can buy a RTX 3070/3060 TI FE at RRP if you use a service like PartAlert on twitter, it's a pain (you might need to wait a week or two) but it's doable.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sympathise it's quite a frustrating thing.

However - People are fed up, because they insist on buying an RTX 3080 or RX 6000 series GPU. As you know, they are (virtually) impossible to buy at RRP because AMD / NV can't produce nearly enough of them. People who pay well above RRP are unfortunately just pushing up the prices when buying from retailers and auction sellers - They generally charge whatever they think people are willing to pay. Online retailers use algorithms to automatically adjust prices, based on how quickly stock sells, and how many are remaining.

You can buy a RTX 3070/3060 TI FE at RRP if you use a service like PartAlert on twitter, it's a pain (you might need to wait a week or two) but it's doable.
Can't find any 6800 XT at RRP as they all sell out, got one in my basket but it was £900 and stopping myself because it's not a very good model and £200 over what it should be, on the partalert discord with alerts on and that is the closest I've got to yet.

Soldato
There is even a shortage of Nvidia Quadro cards!

I managed to pick up a Quadro P620 before xmas at discount (for my workstation), and pleased I even managed to get this.

Soldato
Question for that is why would they want to do that, they can earn as much money as possible without maintaining different SKU.

Also why would a miner want to buy a dedicated mining card, they can sell to gamers when mining collapses.
Because a dedicated mining card at say 4/500 quid with a 120mh rate would make it worth while especially if the equivalently priced gaming card would only pull 30mh. The companies could earn more money this way as the GPU die wouldnt need to be large like a gaming GPU rather relying on some fast VRAM and a high bus speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
It always makes me chuckle when I see threads like these.

How many people in here complaining about gpu shortages due to mining and it’s irresponsible energy wastage or damage to the environment, have solar panels or battery storage solutions? A couple, a few?

Yeah it's hilarious seeing people complain about power consumption in the context of GPU mining when what they plan to do with the card is use the same power to play games.

Associate
Because a dedicated mining card at say 4/500 quid with a 120mh rate would make it worth while especially if the equivalently priced gaming card would only pull 30mh. The companies could earn more money this way as the GPU die wouldnt need to be large like a gaming GPU rather relying on some fast VRAM and a high bus speed.
You don’t understand the mentality of miners: the reason people mine with GPUs is thus they have a resale value.

Typically if you bought a scalped GPU when it was released and mined you could resell it now for the same scalped value (or even more) and keep the coins.

A dedicated card has almost no resale value when it is not the most efficient for mining or when the price of the coin is dropping.

That’s also why you still have GPU mining and also why not everyone is on an Asic. A dedicated mining card would be a sub par Asic unless you can make a dedicated card superior to an Asic but it would have the same lack of resale value.

Also if the mining difficulty was not increasing, at the current rate it takes 90days to pay back most 30x0s at RRP. You can get back probably 25%-30% back of your GPU in a month and resell it for example.

Even if you primarily game, it almost make sense to recoup some of the GPU cost by mining at the moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom