So...The boy wants a gaming PC

Man of Honour
Edit - 3060 FE is not even on NVs website anymore, looks like it is discontinued. That makes 3060ti lowest cost for £369. Great card for that price if you can get one.
The 3060 never had a FE, hence why it's pricing is wild west, and why I suggested aiming for the 3060ti instead

Soldato
Ok the best thing to do is install Telegram and join FE partalert.

This will send a message to your phone when these cards come in stock. If you can get a 3060 or 3060ti for MSRP then you will get a far better gaming experience than any of the pcs suggested so far.

When they come into stock you have about 2 minutes to get a card. They are that highly sought after. Do not buy anything else until you get a GPU and once you do buy the rest.

Is that group German? I need to try and get a new card for £360! Haha

Associate
At the end of the day we are only advising you. It is your money and you have to make the final decision. If you were to get a 3060ti FE from a drop for £369 you could then build the rest of the PC for around £300 and be close to your budget. Your budget is incredibly tight but I totally understand this is a luxury item and not something you should be going into debt for.

The initial build I linked was with a 5600G APU. That is a CPU+GPU in one chip and the GPU part of it is about 50% of the performance of a 1060, the 1060 is the most used GPU in the world according to the Steam survey and it is 5 years old and still does OK in games. A 3060ti is 3-4 times faster than a 1060 and the PCs I , GreautAuk and tamzzy have linked are all reasonable budget oriented builds that would be useable and upgradeable for many many years and not a throw away item that is useless the next year.

Because of the inflated prices of gpus there are no easy choices to make and that is the major stumbling block to getting a decent low cost PC.

Soldato
The initial build I linked was with a 5600G APU. That is a CPU+GPU in one chip and the GPU part of it is about 50% of the performance of a 1060, the 1060 is the most used GPU in the world according to the Steam survey and it is 5 years old and still does OK in games. A 3060ti is 3-4 times faster than a 1060.

This is very useful to know as I am terrible for overestimating what I "need" and end up overspending.

Associate
Prob is 1060 are going for over £200 on auction sites at mo... Remember these are used with as you say 25 to 30% of the power on a 3060ti, no ray tracing or dlss(later being more useful).. So a 3060 ti doesnt look so bad at £369 to me... Brand new so no unknown history, warranty and knowledge it should last you for the forseable future, and will be worth a lot more when you come to sell it in the future compared to the 1060.

Soldato
Get browsing Facebook market places for rigs around you for sale? Avoid all the fancy looking ones that are touted as "eSports" rigs as they are generally garbage and you might well pick up a decent system for £600/700

Associate
OP
So...still looking to build the boy a gaming PC. I think we can now stretch to around £550.

Sorry to ask again....Could one of you gents or ladies spec me up around that price +/- £50 to buy before xmas and allow the build to go ahead. My son and daughter would both like to build the PC, so it wuold be a family event (not sure if this is a good idea or not lol)...daughter even wants to do A level computer science next year so hopefully this would be a good learning experience. To recap, I beleive my son only needs a fairly robust computer which is future proof, with a reasonable GPU installed. He is not a hardcore gamer requiring huge fps.

Grateful for your baskets so I can decide and buy before the turkeys, fuel, chips, etc run out. Cheers guys and girls.

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £602.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

You cannot fit a discrete gpu into your budget and still have the rest of the system be decent. That will suit your needs and you can easily install a gpu when you can get one for a reasonable price.

Good luck with the build. I tried to get my children to help me with building PCs and they just looked at me like I was speaking Russian. For your Daughter wanting to do computer related subjects the actual build will be fun but booting into the BIOS will be more beneficial so she can see the DOCP settings and see how much difference that makes to performance, is massively important for the iGPU in the Ryzen APU to have fast ram. You can overclock the iGPU seperately to the actual cpu and get ok performance at low res and settings

P.s. The 5600g is out of stock on OCUK so you would have to shop around elsewhere for one. Other items are also oos but can shop around for them as well.

Soldato
EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Antec NX100 ATX Mid Tower Case

PNY CS900 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive x2

Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3733 CL17
Memory

Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor

Associate
Total: £610.12 (includes shipping: £12.30)

This is within your budget and is fully upgradeable. It is an APU so you can just add in a GPU if you can get one at a sensible price. The case is garbage and would need a couple of extra fans but can upgrade that whenever you like. You have money in your budget if you want to get a slightly stronger PSU that would allow for any gpu but 650w is good for upto a RTX 3070.

Win 10 keys can be got for around £10 , google is your friend and you can get instructions on the MS website on how to creat a bootable USB stick. All you need is an 8gb usb stick.

P.s. The 5600G is out of stock , you would have to shop around to find one.

P.s.s. Intel is launching Alderlake cpus in around 5 weeks time so if they are good there may be price drops on Ryzen chips so may be best to wait a few weeks.

+1 to this.
Gpu's are disgustingly expensive. The above spec will be a good starter and by the time gpus get anywhere near reasonable, this will still be more than capable.

Soldato
Just get a cheap 11400F/10400F and pick up an old GTX 600/700 series card for about £50-70 quid used which in total will be cheaper than an APU while offering a lot more performance.

Total: £491.24 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just get a cheap 11400F/10400F and pick up an old GTX 600/700 series card for about £50-70 quid used which in total will be cheaper than an APU while offering a lot more performance.

Total: £491.24 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Driver support will be patchy at best with old Nvidia cards. Possibly non existent with cards that age.

Soldato
Plenty of people still using those cards without issue.

Just looked. Drivers support ended a few months back. The 5600G is faster too. You’d literally be powering the card to serve as a display out. It’s a waste of money and will be hassle without driver support.

Soldato
Just looked. Drivers support ended a few months back. The 5600G is faster too. You’d literally be powering the card to serve as a display out. It’s a waste of money and will be hassle without driver support.
Showing as still supported with the latest drivers and no the 5600G is not faster which is not good given they are almost 5x the price.

Screenshot-171.png

Soldato
Showing as still supported with the latest drivers and no the 5600G is not faster which is not good given they are almost 5x the price.

Screenshot-171.png

You need to do some more research. Driver support ended. All but the fastest card would get beat by the 5600G. Unless you buy something like a 780 which isn’t going to be cheap and circa 250 watt.

Back
Top Bottom