*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
It would make sense for a dedicated movie screen but virtually all other stuff is 16:9 so there's just no market for 21:9 TVs. Enthusiasts will just get a bigger TV or use a projector.

I use a 21:9 monitor though so I'm used to the aspect ratio now.

Soldato
I checked my Amazon orders and it's saying it'll be delivered on the 13th of March, I too thought it was later on, we shall see.

j8MK4hq.jpg.png
It's not that I doubted you, it used to be ~6 months after a cinema release before it was released on disc. Hopefully it will be on sky soon as well.

Soldato
It's not that I doubted you, it used to be ~6 months after a cinema release before it was released on disc. Hopefully it will be on sky soon as well.

Ive already got a UHD of Inferno that was released in mid Oct '16, so the typical 6 months that I would have agreed with a couple of years ago is getting shorter

Rogue one BR is being released in April - 4 months prior it was still making major $$$ in the box office

Associate
So i ended up watching Sicario, Xmen apocalypse and 2016 Ghostbusters over the weekend.

Sicario looked great, a few scenes that shined via picture quality was the intro scene where they are stuck in traffic crossing the boarder, and when they are heading to the tunnel and the sun is setting.
HDR really shines here, The blacks, blues and orange looked fantastic.

Xmen looked fantastic with the Quicksilver scene and the big fight at the end.

Ghostbusters was quite cringe, i didn't laugh at any of the "jokes" on the plus side the CGI look great! The picture quality looked fantastic and HDR really shined.
It was quite strange seeing the particle effects and the beams on the black bars as if it was clipping through.
Also it would sometimes keep changing to imax and back to normal and that was weird.

Overall happy with them purchases although if i watch Ghostbusters again, it will only be for the final battle because HDR just makes the film look really great.

Associate
I'm still waiting on my resident evil afterlife to be delivered, i have Planet Earth 2 coming in about a week.

Going to order Mad max and Warcraft in a couple of weeks. Just not sure what else i should get. any suggestions?

Last edited:
Soldato
So i ended up watching Sicario, Xmen apocalypse and 2016 Ghostbusters over the weekend.

Sicario looked great, a few scenes that shined via picture quality was the intro scene where they are stuck in traffic crossing the boarder, and when they are heading to the tunnel and the sun is setting.
HDR really shines here, The blacks, blues and orange looked fantastic.

Xmen looked fantastic with the Quicksilver scene and the big fight at the end.

Ghostbusters was quite cringe, i didn't laugh at any of the "jokes" on the plus side the CGI look great! The picture quality looked fantastic and HDR really shined.
It was quite strange seeing the particle effects and the beams on the black bars as if it was clipping through.
Also it would sometimes keep changing to imax and back to normal and that was weird.

Overall happy with them purchases although if i watch Ghostbusters again, it will only be for the final battle because HDR just makes the film look really great.

I don't know why but i would like to see the ghostbusters films, if i set my hopes so low i cant possibly be disappointed riiigh?:p

Associate
I don't know why but i would like to see the ghostbusters films, if i set my hopes so low i cant possibly be disappointed riiigh?:p
I was in the exact the boat, i was thinking I've seen all the others so i guess i'll have to give this a watch. I set my expectations extremely low. Thankfully i only paid £15 for it brand new but damn the story is just weak, the jokes just aren't funny and it falls short for me.

If it wasn't for a fantastic CGI team and beautiful HDR the film would be one of the worst films i'd seen in years. I like Kristen Wigg as a actress in her more serious roles like in the Martian.

But Kristen Wigg and Melissa McCarthy just aren't funny to me. a lot of the "Jokes" seem very forced and not very natural at all, it's just a little weird. I don't know if you can get it cheap, get it for the final scene but do not pay full price.

Would i pay £15 for it again, no i'd prob go £10-£12 max but £15 isn't bad i guess. I'll be borrowing it the folks so they can watch it. will be interested to see what the folks think of it as they grew up from the early ghostbuster films.

Soldato
I cant help but think its a massivly over-pc'ed film if that makes sense. Cant have 4 male leads with a female secretary, oh no it has to be 4 woman.

To be fair they originally wanted to do it with the original cast but not all of them were interested (and Harold Ramis has now gone) so they thought it'd be easier for the public to accept a 'replacement' cast if they were women instead of men and thus totally different.

In reality it's irrelevant as you just can't have Ghostbusters without the original people.

Soldato
I feel Planet Earth II should have had an Atmos soundtrack, which is a shame that it doesn't. I'm still undecided on a great picture with atmos disc that can really show off it's capabilities.

Soldato
re PE2 - I don't know if it went as far as dubbing the animals :), but I thought they had acknowledged microphone positioning (unlike long range cameras)
was not feasible for surround sound capture (and isn't there backing music too anyway)
and retrofitting the surround sound may not be good like some concerts (eg. cream@Albert) 'converted' from stereo.

Soldato
re PE2 - I don't know if it went as far as dubbing the animals :), but I thought they had acknowledged microphone positioning (unlike long range cameras)
was not feasible for surround sound capture (and isn't there backing music too anyway)
and retrofitting the surround sound may not be good like some concerts (eg. cream@Albert) 'converted' from stereo.

No idea about the specifics, however, BBC Earth have previously released Atmos content and I was hoping for the same with this.

Soldato
No idea about the specifics, however, BBC Earth have previously released Atmos content and I was hoping for the same with this.

The specifics are that it's hard enough filming animals in the wild without trying to cart around and position a full Atmos recording set up with overhead mics!

Back
Top Bottom