So this morning I've decided to go cold turkey...

Permabanned
Good luck fellow addict! (remember.. You'll always be a smoker. But if you're lucky, you'll be a smoker who hasn't smoked for a loooong time..)

I used to read that before I gave up, and to be honest mate it's not true at all. I don't even think about smoking now, I don't mind other people smoking around me either - it's a non issue. Since I gave up I've been out many times and got so hammered I can barely remember getting home but I've not even had a puff of a ciggie.

I'm a non smoker now *shrug*.

Soldato
Yeh thats my biggest fer to be honest! I dont think that about an hours walking each day (what i do atm) would be enough though?!

My mum actually started smoking 7 months after she quit because she put on a lot of weight. When she started again she lost a kilo a week. :eek:

Soldato
i went cold turkey in September 2005, decided like you i'd had enough, had 3 ciggies left in the packet, as i smoked thm i asked myself what i actually enjoyed, and the answer was nothing, they taste rank, make you smell, a waste of a lot of money, there are no negatives to giving up smoking, only plusses, and remember you are not giving anything up, you are gaining a lot :)

Soldato
Im still going, 24 hours in. Lots of sex helped me get through the evening without them. Actually last evening was fine, but it was a good excuse to demand 4 helpings :D

I am off work so it is hard as hell, as is driving. So tempted to "Just have one".

I mustn't.........

Soldato
My old man started smoking at 14, hes 53 now and smoked maybe 20 to 30 roll ups a day. In February he got some bug which left him with a sore throat and he stopped smoking for a bit to see if that helped clear it up. He never touched a fag since.

The smoking ban also helped, having to always go outside for a smoke (even at home as my mums developed some repiritory problems over the last couple of years) meant that this was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Got to say he seems much better for it.

So er.... I guess my advice is to go and get yourself a sore throat :p

Soldato
Morning chaps, after waking up with that horrible ashtray taste in my mouth for what feels like the millionth time, ive decided to stop kidding myself and actually quit smoking today, as of now.

Have got rid of everything smoking related from my room (halls of residence) but fear that as the rest of my flat smoke, this won't be easy!

Has anyone got any tips etc for this as going from c. 20 a day to nothing can't be easy! I mean i'm even debating doing some work to take my mind off of it!

Cheers guys!

Rob

Only just seen this thread. I gave up just like that. One day I decided I didn't want to smoke any more and so I stopped. No drama, no cravings, nothing.

The hardest part for me was breaking the habit, especially in the pub with mates. Before you know it, you'd be reaching for the packet and you'd have to think "Hey, what am I doing??" before it was too late.

I suppose it depends on how much you want to give up, really.

Soldato
OP
My trick was to have parents that would castrate me if I ever started smoking.

Hehe same with mine but i was 17 when they finally found out so they couldnt do anything, and as i had my own job i was funding it.

I feel like a failure, went on a night out into town and i had half of someones cigarette. Though it could have been a lot worse, i guess seeng how easy it is to fold, its made me more determined :)

Really annoyed at myself :(

Soldato
Any tips on suppressing hunger? Cigarettes do it for me at the moment, but i really don't want to start putting on weight when/if i finally decide to take the plunge and quit :(

Soldato
OP
Any tips on suppressing hunger? Cigarettes do it for me at the moment, but i really don't want to start putting on weight when/if i finally decide to take the plunge and quit :(

Drinking lots of water seems to work for me. Just with a side effect of having to make frequent trips to the toilet....

Back
Top Bottom