So this morning I've decided to go cold turkey...

Soldato
Morning chaps, after waking up with that horrible ashtray taste in my mouth for what feels like the millionth time, ive decided to stop kidding myself and actually quit smoking today, as of now.

Have got rid of everything smoking related from my room (halls of residence) but fear that as the rest of my flat smoke, this won't be easy!

Has anyone got any tips etc for this as going from c. 20 a day to nothing can't be easy! I mean i'm even debating doing some work to take my mind off of it!

Cheers guys!

Rob

Associate
The best way of giving up is being 100% with yourself that you WANT to give up. Thats how I did it. Willpower.
If you really want to stop, you will.

Permabanned
The best way of giving up is being 100% with yourself that you WANT to give up. Thats how I did it. Willpower.
If you really want to stop, you will.

That's what I did, not even had a single puff since I gave up in January. Don't miss it at all now either! I'd never tried to give up previously because I had never really wanted to.

Associate
You have made the right decision.
I smoked between 10 and 30 a day (depending if I was out on the tiles :p) and decided to go cold turkey too. I haven't smoked for nearly 4 years now.

I don't think there is any one way to do this as many people will have different rules and ways they quit.

I say having even 1 drag on a cig is a fail. Whenever I felt the itch for a smoke, I just calmed myself down, thought about it logically and I eventually realised I don't actually need it and can ignore the tricks your mind plays on you. Just try and occupy yourself with other things. After a week or so you'll notice it's much much easier.
The biggest steps for me were the 'after dinner' fag and the 'with a pint' fag at the pub.

Anyway - BE STRONG!

Soldato
Doing work?!?1 You must be desperate! I'd suggest every time you want a fag (when your in your halls) go for a run of down the gym, yes it will be hard at first but you'll get a great feeling when you're done and you get fit. :D Win win.

Soldato
OP
Well at least ive got used to going to the pub and not smoking whilst having a drink, stopping doing that was a mission in itself! And i just dont like the taste of smoking whasoever anymore. It really just seems like the right time to throw in the towel.

to quote Homer J Simpson~"Going Cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds."

Hehe cheers for your words of support!

Associate
Good work! I'm currently trying to give up after 10 years of smoking...

I just threw away all my smoking paraphernalia one day and refused to buy any more. Every time I feel the urge to smoke I have a little mantra: "i don't need to smoke", and try and do something to take my mind off it. To be honest my cravings haven't been that bad, so I'm just taking it one day at a time really.

Good luck!

Soldato
OP
Are there any advice sites around at all? For quiting smoking obviously, just might be a good idea to have a look through some online material?

Associate
best of luck mate, soon you will detest that stinky sickly smell the same as all us non smokers, probbo just added 10% onto your lifespan and reduced the risk of contracting cancer, lung or heart disease.

Associate
I got told to stop smoking due to medical reasons, I have amazed myself and havent had a fag in over 3 weeks. Going from 40 a day to zero I thought would have been a lot harder but so far so good and managed to save over a £100 to put towards a holiday.
Riever

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thankyou all for the kind words and advice, its all being taken onboard i can assure you! Got to pop into uni in a bit, just need to get over the norm of having a cigarette before and after every lecture/tutorial!

Oh and i better hurry up and start/finish the work!

Soldato
I went for a year and 3 months without smoking. And on my 25th birthday decided to smoke a cigar, and drink some JD (haven't had a drink for bout 5 years). I'm now back on 30 a day hahaha. Anyway, today I quit again, made the decision last night. So meh, a few weeks back on the fags, well, this last week really full time. At least I know that I can turn them down as soon as I decide :). And I've decided.

Good luck fellow addict! (remember.. You'll always be a smoker. But if you're lucky, you'll be a smoker who hasn't smoked for a loooong time..)

Back
Top Bottom