1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, who's stubbornly still mining away...

Discussion in 'Crypto Currency & Mining' started by SixTwoSix, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Th0nt

Soldato

Good story, glad someone made well of the boom phase and learned along the way! *tips hat

2. mymorph

Wise Guy

Perfect

3. jerrytf

Associate

That's a great story, and yes it's low again, seems inevitable it will all peak again sometime. Was wondering cloud mining sites like Genesis, it is possible to make money with those not quite ready to build my own rig just yet, although now it may actually start to be worth it thanks

4. KHALIK

Gangster

Bitmain

I have made big losses with antiminers, (antiminer d3 and antminer litecoin)

I still get the shakes and headache when thinking of the losses ££££.

I personally rather now invest the money, in purchasing the coins from exchanges.

5. Th0nt

Soldato

Bitmain mined on the hardware for months creaming the golden hash rate. Unfortunately people did not vote with wallets abstaining this practice so its a high risk gamble on time if you could profit with them.

6. vectisitch

Wise Guy

i've never bought an asic miner. they are so over priced at the start, plus second hand they are still way over priced as people are trying to get back some money. And they only mine 1 type of coin so are worthless after. Cloud mining is a scam. i tried that in the early days only to be scammed after they disappeared over night. it's like having coins on an exchange, if your not in control yourself then you have no recourse when they go missing.

7. baron02

Hitman

I'm now back mining on Nicehash with 8GPU, I can't seem to make the Asrock H110 13gpu mine properly on 10gpu's even with a 70gb pagefile. Still mining at a loss but I'm thinking of the long game and reap the rewards later.

8. vectisitch

Wise Guy

i bought an h110 mb. i think it's dodgy as i can't get a single card to show an output on it. it all fires up ok but no video. very
    odd

9. AMDIT

Associate

Already had acquired gear to fold on but stopped to tryout the cc. Lucky with the mobos I have they have been flawless over 3 yrs. Used to mine with ocuk pool but I started trying out new coins like xtl ( now xtc) and upx

10. Trig

Mobster

I've still got some old kit but cba to go back to full power again

11. Th0nt

Soldato

I wouldnt mind trading my 1060 for a vega with cash to get a bit of harmonisation going.

12. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Sgarrista

With the bump in BTC and others its starting to look like it could be worth firing up again.
    Anyone else hold similar views. Not sure what to mine but getting tempted to fire up and mine a little again.

13. Th0nt

Soldato

I have got optimistic and then like we have seen in the past week become confused with the mining cliffs. On the whole I think its break even to a few pennies for a handful of tokens but still the majority of them are mine at loss if you dont want to hodl.

If you are lucky to ride the wave of a new coin e.g. GRIN I made a nice margin on the first week of mining this as not only was it key to jumping in on launch but it also had some complexity because i) small memory cards under 8Gb could not jump onto it and ii) lack of miner software oh and iii) seemed to be harder for average normie to configure the miner and the pool parameters.

So when this tailed off we were back to the standard range of choice. Chiefly too many miners bumps difficulty up high and then the whales use all the powerful hardware to take over the profit margins.

I then sniffed out this merge mining early enough to get in once again before the stampede. However even though we hear of people turning off their rigs, people breaking up and selling rigs - Im somewhat dissapointed as there is still too many miners about to make creaming off the top worthwhile for small time bedroom type miners (like me).

Alts have gradually gone down again, and the chunks of BTC rises every week mean you have to be very patient to get anywhere with trading I found.

14. EssexBoy

Hitman

Leave them off till above 10k imo.

15. Trig

Mobster

Unless you are pretty active and as Th0nt says, mine alts when they come out, and sell soon after I think we've seen the end of mass mining until we get some decent coins that are ASIC resistant.
    I never actually got to the point where I ran everything I had bought as I was a bit late to the game, probably enough to brak even and not much beyond that, still got a few GPU's and a Fintech board but what they're worth now means theres little point in selling them.

16. Telecaster

Mobster

I had all mine for sale and had no interest so have just left it running on nicehash.

17. baron02

Hitman

I have my rig mining for 2hrs a day on nicehash, took the decent cards out of the other rig's and put it into the 13gpu rig. Figured out the crashing issue, One of the hp server psu were shutting down so that been swapped out. May now put the other two cards in to get it to full capacity.

18. Th0nt

Soldato

15 gpu rig? :o

19. Vince

Man of Honour

Gents what to mine? I have my V11, Vegas and still like 20 RX550's its all been off and ive mined nothing for a few months. Time to turn it all back on!!

20. Th0nt

Soldato

@Vince you should be on cryptonight merge mining with that lot!