1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, who's stubbornly still mining away...

Discussion in 'Crypto Currency & Mining' started by SixTwoSix, Aug 23, 2018.

1. mattpc

Mobster

I'm out. All the Nvidia cards are sold and now I'm selling off my vegas. I'm not mining just to cover colocation costs, I'd rather just buy the coin if I want it. On the plus side, it's been briliant getting my graphics cards sold and in to the hands of true gamers ;)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  2. Telecaster

Mobster

As before, still going. Raven has had a nice pump recently but I haven't sold any off.

Like I've mentioned previously, it's a no brainer to leave it running through winter as I don't need the heating on when mining even in the deepest darkest depths of winter, so it will be be March ish before I re-evaluate the situ. If we're still were we are now then come March it will be broke up and sold off completely.

3. mattpc

Mobster

Have a look at Bitcoin Interest mining on the new prog pow algo. It looks like potentially a good one this week for Nvidia miners. Whether it will last, I don't know. I'm not doing it though. Sold my last Nvidia card today. You can mine Bitcoin Interest on Vega as well but the return is no better than the cryptonight coins.

It makes sense what you say because you can use the side benefit of heating. I can't do that.

4. VTR

Mobster

Yep still going strong on 10 cards, nice to not have to turn the heating on over the winter :) The 1070Ti's and 1080's aren't going to drop in value now with the price of the new cards, and when the initial sell off rush is over and mining picks back up they will increase in value again :) Patience... trust me, I was here in 2013 :D

5. mattpc

Mobster

What happens when the backlog of new old stock of 1070ti and 1080 runs out. I just wonder if the price of the new cards will then drop? However, if they don't then it will work in your favour as your cards will hold or increase in value because they will still be cheap in comparison.

6. VTR

Mobster

The 1070Ti are worth around £280 now and the 1080 a little more, I can't see them dropping much tbh. Could be wrong though :)

7. mattpc

Mobster

dunno, as my previous post speculated it could go either way but I think you're probably right. Even if the market is eventually swamped with second hand nvidia cards for a time, the long term value is probably not going to be affected much unless the new models are dropped massively in price. I didn't sell all my Nvidias because I think the value is going to bomb. I sold them because I've taken the decision to get out of mining. The colocation costs were too high and I don't have the time or headspace anymore to keep considering stategy and which coin or algo I should be mining. Time to cash out and concentrate on my core work projects, brewing beer and family!

8. Th0nt

Soldato

Yeah I think we all have points in time where we evaluate the worthiness. In the tough phases especially where there is no profit for miners the priority of beer and family makes complete sense! :)

9. mattpc

Mobster

The thing is I'm already self employed working in two different sectors (neither of which are money spinners I might add), got a child who's turning one this weekend and a passion for homebrewing beer. There's always ways to do OK in the Crypto sector but you need to keep on top of things to do well on your trades and mining. I've got no time left to do this. It's ok when it's easy. Last year it was just easy and if you didn't have time to do things the very best way it didn't matter, you would still do perfectly OK out of mining and hoarding coins. Not so in the current climate.

Think I'd rather sell all the GPUS than have to call time on my beer making and sell my lovely Braumeister beer making equipment...

I must be clear though, I'm not saying mining is dead and everyone should panic sell. I'm simply saying I don't have the time to make mining work for me anymore.

10. InfiniteNoise

Wise Guy

Stopped mining months ago, around when the heatwave started, between the extra heat in my room and barely any profits, it wasn't worth it.

But if I were to resume mining, what's a good coin to mine with just CPU? I have Ryzen 1600, I know I won't get much but my CPU isn't being used for much, might as well use the resources I have.

11. Th0nt

Soldato

CPU mining is not worth it. If you feel you have to contribute the idle cycles to something look for one with either green intentions or the science based ones like Gridcoin.

12. Telecaster

Mobster

I must admit that even though I will leave it running through the winter, I'd dearly love to switch it all off and sell it, for the best part of 18 months it's just been a constant battle of temperature and noise management and I've about had enough, more from the noise point of view than the temp. The constant drone of 80-90% fan speed of 12x GPUs is doing my head in.

13. chroniclard

Capodecina

What cards are these? Mine were all 60 degrees or less with 50-60% fan speed, even in summer. Bit hotter in summer but only couple of degrees. Can barely hear them unless get within a few metres. :)

Though my rig is on top of a cupboard near a window(which is locked/cracked open slightly) in a large airy room.

14. mattpc

Mobster

I don't envy you. It's a real pity watercooling blocks are so expensive..... I generally found I could work around heat problems but the noise of many fans really cheesed me off. I'm done, it's out of my life. I only have to listen to my macbook getting hot under the collar in the summer now. I did consider watercooling when I first got a lot of GPUS but the cost was just bonkers even when mining was in a much better place.

15. Telecaster

Mobster

11x 1070s and 1x 1080ti, putting about about 2kw of heat. When the weather is warm I need all the doors open to allow the airflow through the room to get rid of the heat and obviously when it's cold I need all the doors open for the opposite, to allow the heat to warm my place. Sadly this means they can be heard in every room and I can even hear them when I'm in bed as they're in the next room.

They're all cheap blower cards except for one so the noise at 80-90% fan is verging on ridiculous. Thankfully as the ambient temp drops I should be able to tune them down a bit but not much.

I envy @mattpc being done with it all, I certainly lost any interest in chasing coins ages ago, I just leave it all running and check for the occasional stoppage but apart from that I never touch it.

16. mattpc

Mobster

That must be a £3000 rig, just sell it!

17. Telecaster

Mobster

Not sure what it's worth at current used mining equipment prices, I know it met ROI a long time ago because I managed to get in at a reasonable time.

I also have a large amount of pre paid electric packages to use up though which is another consideration.

It is tempting to sell it, a lot of hassle though trying to sell and post that lot as I'd need to test them all some how with gaming loads before I sold them and I don't have the means to do that.

18. Vince

Man of Honour

Part of the reason I went with low power cards and modified every single one that put out more than around 30/35 db, I am quite noise sensitive and couldn't cope with the noise. Now though they just sit and do their thing. I don't have the kind of investment others here have in that both my rigs cost around £700 and everything else that I mine with I already had, some with free electricity, some colocated in a DC etc etc. Right now im just carrying on using them to heat my lounge tbh with only £700 invested I may as well just run them into the ground :)

19. mattpc

Mobster

cheapest gtx 1070s are still £200 second hand. GTX 1080ti dunnno what bottom end is but I sold my budget one for £520 but it was not a blower. If the hassle of selling the cards is worse than the noise you're still a miner @Telecaster !

20. Telecaster

Mobster

Nah I'm just lazy, just the thought of stripping it all down, cleaning and testing then trying to sell and post 12x GPUs sends a shiver down my spine!

My 1080ti is a FE, I think off the top of my head I have two FE 1070s, 1x Quicksilver which is a beast, the rest are MSI Aeros, an ASUS Dual and two Zotac minis.

I can isolate the noise somewhat if I need proper quiet time, I too am noise sensitive which is why it's more of an annoyance for me.

Sounds bad but even if I sold it I can't think what I'd do with the cash other than sit on it, I certainly wouldn't put any of it into crypto I don't think.