So you take your Monaro to have a leak fixed...

Caporegime
It should be a requirement by law if you ask me to have one installed! This thing can solve a lot of problems. Privacy is not an issue as the data is stored locally and only used at the owners discretion (to prove their case ofc!).

Can also have the memory in the key (if factories are forced to include this as standard equipement!) to prevent it from being stolen with the car.

I agree. They did try something in the states that recorded the 20 seconds before and after any hard impact or jolt. The only people who are against these things are the guys who are idiots and drive like tools, knowing they will get bent over come claim time.

Capodecina
Soldato
It should be a requirement by law if you ask me to have one installed! This thing can solve a lot of problems. Privacy is not an issue as the data is stored locally and only used at the owners discretion (to prove their case ofc!).
So your cunning plan is that legislation should be passed compelling people to fit into their cars a device on which they could rely to prove their innocence but which would not be available to the Police, insurance companies or other drivers to prove their guilt.

I think that you may need to review this particular legislation proposal :D

Capodecina
Soldato
Bugger all for a decent security system. Not that I'd expect an owner of a Hyundai to understand.
A "security" system attached to the interior mirror or windscreen :confused:

Any owner of a Hyundai would probably have the two brain cells necessary to spot it such a "security" system.

Associate
As above - its quite obvious why this is a good idea, in the past few months ive had a lorry hit me, a kid run out in front of the car, some idiots pulling out infront of me etc - now one of these would have made claiming for the lorry incident so much easier, and would have covered me incase I hadn't managed to slam the brakes on in the other near misses.

Caporegime
A "security" system attached to the interior mirror or windscreen :confused:

Any owner of a Hyundai would probably have the two brain cells necessary to spot it such a "security" system.

A device that plots and records and reports the location of the car using GPS is not a security device? What is it then? Because it sounds awfully like a glorified tracking device.

It can't be that obvious judging by the video that's been posted. If it was visible I doubt they would have taken the car out for a hoon like they did.

It's obviously not a substitute to an alarm system. But for what it is, it's very cheap.

Last edited:
Associate
So your cunning plan is that legislation should be passed compelling people to fit into their cars a device on which they could rely to prove their innocence but which would not be available to the Police, insurance companies or other drivers to prove their guilt.

I think that you may need to review this particular legislation proposal :D

Well ... if driver A (who is at fault) refuses to provide the recording then driver B (who will be more than happy to provide the recording, not at fault) wins the case by definition.

This is why "it has to be required by law" otherwise we wont have both sides of the argument to draw a conclusion of whos at fault.

Ofc, if the law forces factories to include it as standard equipement then problem solved. Cameras can be where parking sensors are for example and do both jobs!

Black boxes on planes have been used for ages, yet we rely on subjective tape measurements and "witnesses" to evaluate whos fault is. People give up their privacy when born nowadays .. I don't mind having my "driving data" recorded and brought forward when I dispute my case (for example, when a cyclist is trying to switch lanes meant for cars going 50mphs!)

Last edited:
Soldato
I leave a £60 ebay tracker in our cars whenever they go in (records gps location, speed, time etc). It's a bit paranoid, granted, but they take liberties with more powerful cars. So sod it.

Capodecina
Soldato
Well ... if driver A (who is at fault) refuses to provide the recording then driver B (who will be more than happy to provide the recording, not at fault) wins the case by definition.

This is why "it has to be required by law" otherwise we wont have both sides of the argument to draw a conclusion of whos at fault.
Not a bad idea at all; the real problem will be getting drivers to retrofit them.

Ofc, if the law forces factories to include it as standard equipment then problem solved. Cameras can be where parking sensors are for example and do both jobs!
Now that is genuinely a VERY good idea, they could be mounted on the front and the rear :)

If I were you, I would get in touch with http://www.roadhawk.co.uk tomorrow.

Associate
With cameras at all 4 corners you can even find out who smashed your car while parked and decided to drive off "quietly" instead of leaving a note and take full responsibility for their actions!

Applications are MANY.

Associate
Never seen these Road Hawk things before. Very interesting.

Out of interest, if you want to run one alongside a satnav/mobile phone charger, for example, and you don't fancy hardwiring one, how do you get power to both? Is there such thing as an in-car 'splitter'?

Soldato
I'm sure the people down at Road Hawk are rubbing their hands :)

Would be a pretty good method of advertising if they simply modified the video to show that speed and posted it out on a few forums ;)

Back
Top Bottom