1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Media getting a bit...overbearing.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Allnamestaken, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Troezar

Mobster

I've just said pretty much the same in another thread. Once someone in power gets to decide the truth and control what can be said it's all over. To be fair to the Americans their first amendment makes sense even if it does cause other issues. They just need be a parallel Bill of Responsibilities to remind people to exercise their rights responsibly ;)

2. kindai

Soldato

Now discussing removing statues throughout the country... I mean why? What does it achieve really? You cant erase history.

3. Mushy Peas

Capodecina

But they don't have you lovely people on them. <3

4. Domi

Hitman

Surely it depends on the statue and its location ?

A Hitler statue next to a Synagogue might be deemed inappropriate. How about Margaret Thatcher statues outside every Coal mine , Jimmy Saville statues at hospitals and primary schools ?

How many of you upset about this cared when they pulled down the Jimmy Saville statues ?

5. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Someone posted a link to another story by Quillette a website I had never previously read. There I found the following https://quillette.com/2020/06/09/fo...justice-meltdown-is-a-sign-of-things-to-come/ about the damage the “social justice” movement is wreaking in traditional media. Some of points about the egotism of the movement how the new religion apes the old religion and the price of submission to the ever growing demands echo my own misgivings.

6. Allnamestaken

Mobster

Well thats it, I had enough now. I'm a minority, I don't need the media pulling historical tv shows because I am going to be offended.

The BBC removed Little Britain over concerns for Racism, literally no one has ever really had a legit complaint against that.

7. Zatoichi.uK

Mobster

Seems people are going full damage control before someone comes for them. Mob rule, not a good place we are heading....

8. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I'm also a member of many OCUK type tech groups - do you know how Facebook works, it doesn't seem you do and all you want to do is put it down?
    I also get updates on music related stuff etc.

9. majestyk

Gangster

Yep. Radio this morning; commentators and politicians queuing up to claim they have never watched Little Britain, lest they get tarred and feathered by the mob.

10. CosmicClown

Hitman

Props to this post!!!

An accurate summation of whats happened.....

Literally people in China being bumped off as they have been banned from getting a job, buying food all because their social credit score is too low.

This will be coming to this country within the next 5-10 years.

11. Mushy Peas

Capodecina

Wasn't there a recurring skit where the irritating one did blackface?

12. mrbell1984

Caporegime

I know exactly how it works and there's only one reason it exists and it's to take your data.

13. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

And we've already had a thread where OCUK pages report back to Facebook so be careful.

14. Somnambulist

Capodecina

Twitter and Reddit are awash with recently created accounts trying to incite, revise history etc - I don’t think it’s too tinfoil to think China/Russia are sending in the internet troops to cause as much havoc as possible - and it’s a draining place to be. If I turn on the dark side of my brain and imagine myself as a tyrant, sowing further discord is exactly the sort of thing I’d order.

It’s tempting to log off but it feels like it’s where an ideological war is playing out and there are people on the fence who’re in danger of being radicalised.

The trousers are definitely around our ankles right now and we’re sleepwalking into mistakes that have already been made in the last hundred years.

15. Luke

Soldato

I binned Facebook yesterday. It's amazing how often I've gone to open it out of pure habit since.

16. Madwelsh

Hitman

I stopped FB and never joined instagram or tinder or any of that crap about 2011, saw it for what it was.. a way to harvest idiots, take away being human, all under the banner of it being 'friendly'. It's caused anything but friendly, people who are susceptable to mental issues, and in the public eye, they never get a break. Problem is, they can't stop watching.. How many celebs can I count on my hand doing this as we speak?

17. StriderX

Caporegime

Where do you think they got the idea from? It's an inherent part of our society, you just don't notice it when it's not so explicit. Though with all due respect, y'all keep electing authoritarians, so it shouldn't be much of a mystery why we're heading down the same path.

Although it's an easy assumption that is undoubtedly true, why is it seemingly never the case that there could be people in the West doing it to keep the status quo/end the status quo?

Unfortunately someone decided that we operate our country via an easily leveraged process. There are ~300 ultra-safe seats in our 'democracy', which means what remains is a rather cheap exercise in trying to get a majority to satisfy whatever special interest you want dealt with, such as regulatory direction and planning permission.

With how the government is it's own judge in this country, I fail to see why anyone is surprised at the state of things. Foreign influence is pitiful in comparison to the damage domestic influence has on our country. I'd say we could probably get rid of the former if we wanted to deal with the latter, as almost certainly end up being one and the same. Unfortunately, people are too busy being manipulated by those very same plutocrats to take notice of the insult that is being played upon them.

So, if i should be so candid. If the proverbial trousers are around our ankles, it's probably because we put them there in the first place and deflecting the blame at the onlookers laughing at us isn't going to pull them back up.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  18. Freakbro

Capodecina

How is removing a statue 'erasing history'? If you want to know about history, you don't look at a statue you read a ******* book :p

19. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I can't even begin to count how many times I've seen statues/monuments and then gone on to read the history behind them.
    So if the statues/monuments weren't there in the first place I would never have known.
    I did a tour of Bristol/Bath in 2016 and learned the good bits about Colston from the top of a tour bus, I then Googled him.

20. StriderX

Caporegime

Then teach it in schools, call it the ***** and ***** section of a history lesson. You could even make it so they have to find the worst people from history, excluding the obvious examples and talk about why they're ***** and *****.