Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
Morning all,

I've started to look at the mind field that is Solar and wondering if anyone can offer real world reccomendations?

I've got virtual consultations booked for today and tomorrow with another company coming to see me on Tuesday.

I've got people offering GivEnergy systems, another which have a few more offerings including Huawei, FoxESS with modular battery setup and then Lux power.

Budget I have been told is quite healthy at between £8-£10k.

Companies are obviously going to say their products are the best on the market and that's why they are using them,

Any reccomendations will be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Haggle. A lot. When we got panels fitted it was crazy how much wriggle room the companies had. Even the company that said they charge a bit more because they're awesome etc, came back with a much better offer after we told them we're going elsewhere.

Soldato
OP
Haggle. A lot. When we got panels fitted it was crazy how much wriggle room the companies had. Even the company that said they charge a bit more because they're awesome etc, came back with a much better offer after we told them we're going elsewhere.

What sort of savings did you see?

Soldato
What sort of savings did you see?

I think between the starting point and the price we paid (and I suspect we could have got lower), over £1k (though this wasn't just one company, it was several with comparable systems), we paid about £4.5k I think (memory might not be spot on), and I'm sure we could have got it at least a couple of hundred lower.

Soldato
OP
I think between the starting point and the price we paid (and I suspect we could have got lower), over £1k (though this wasn't just one company, it was several with comparable systems), we paid about £4.5k I think (memory might not be spot on), and I'm sure we could have got it at least a couple of hundred lower.

Interesting...I'm looking at a 6Kw system with battery.

May see what they come back, prices all seem to be very similar so I guess it's whoever is hungry.

Everyone is busy with enquiries....I just wonder how many people are actually going to pull the trigger.

Associate
Im getting 14x Trina Vertex 390w panels, Givenergy 8.2kw AC coupled Battery and a solis 6kwh inverter installed on the 8th Feb, I plan to add a second 8.2 or 11.3kwh battery and the 2nd gen GE inverter charger Q3-Q4 this year as it increases the charge & discharge rate to 5kwh
If you can find them, from what I have read online the new Panasonic Evervolt panels are the best on the market ATM, they lose less efficiency to heat than any other residential panels on the market. (NOCT and temp coefficient figures).
Most panels ratings are with the panel at 20 degrees, but on a 20 deg ambient temp they will be around 45 deg, the pannys seem to retain their efficiency at higher temps, and from what I have read their 360w panel will out perform my 390 as they heat up, but I cant find any stock in the UK to even see how much of a price difference there would be

Soldato
OP
Im getting 14x Trina Vertex 390w panels, Givenergy 8.2kw AC coupled Battery and a solis 6kwh inverter installed on the 8th Feb, I plan to add a second 8.2 or 11.3kwh battery and the 2nd gen GE inverter charger Q3-Q4 this year as it increases the charge & discharge rate to 5kwh
If you can find them, from what I have read online the new Panasonic Evervolt panels are the best on the market ATM, they lose less efficiency to heat than any other residential panels on the market. (NOCT and temp coefficient figures).
Most panels ratings are with the panel at 20 degrees, but on a 20 deg ambient temp they will be around 45 deg, the pannys seem to retain their efficiency at higher temps, and from what I have read their 360w panel will out perform my 390 as they heat up, but I cant find any stock in the UK to even see how much of a price difference there would be

Thanks for that. I had a company ring today and all they offer is the Tesla Powerwall so I politely told them that it uses up most of my budget so thanks but no thanks.

Is there any reason why you aren't going to just install the batteries all at once? You will only pay 5% vat on installation with the solar but then pay full Vat if you then install more at a later date.

Associate

How much are you paying for that system if you don't mind me asking? What area and who is installing it as well? It seems a decent system. Is the solis inverter a hybrid one?

Soldato
OP
So...had a quote today well within budget.

Question is on a usage of around 12-15kwh per day would you go 5.2kwh or 8kwh battery?

Price is around £800 difference.

Based on the company savings calculator I'd only save an additional £20ish per year and consume 77% Vs 73% of the electric generated.

The calculation however doesn't take into consideration being able to charge the battery overnight on a cheaper tarriff. I'm wondering if I'd benefit in the longer term and the savings would actually be greater over the winter months?

Soldato
OP
What's the overnight tariff compared to the day one? Then just work it out from there.

Currently paying £0.05 but will be going up to £0.075 so compared to £0.15 or potentially £0.35 in September for day rate, the cost difference is quite significant.

Soldato
Currently paying £0.05 but will be going up to £0.075 so compared to £0.15 or potentially £0.35 in September for day rate, the cost difference is quite significant.

Being conservative at an extra 2kwh a day then, you're saving 27p a unit, so 54p a day. Over a year that's getting on for £200, seems pretty smart to me, pays off in 4 years.

EDIT - Of course, during the summer, when you're generating a lot, then it's not so good if you manage to use most of it. Equally, if you can't use your own generation, then it's an even faster payoff time.

Soldato
OP
Being conservative at an extra 2kwh a day then, you're saving 27p a unit, so 54p a day. Over a year that's getting on for £200, seems pretty smart to me, pays off in 4 years.

EDIT - Of course, during the summer, when you're generating a lot, then it's not so good if you manage to use most of it. Equally, if you can't use your own generation, then it's an even faster payoff time.

Thanks for that.

I think I will go for the larger battery...I have also asked them to pride me for 2x5.2kwh batteries as a comparison.

So far price is £9522 for 6,370kwh system, 5kwh GivEnergy inverter and 8.2kwh battery.

£8755 with a 5.2kwh battery.

Associate
I’d want enough battery storage to be able to provide for the the house all day.

I’ve had solar since 2011 and added a Tesla PW2 in November.

I’m on 5p octopus go, the average unit price I’ve been paying is just over 6p since installation.

Soldato
OP
I’d want enough battery storage to be able to provide for the the house all day.

I’ve had solar since 2011 and added a Tesla PW2 in November.

I’m on 5p octopus go, the average unit price I’ve been paying is just over 6p since installation.

For comparison I'm paying £0.08 by shifting most of our usage overnight...this is without solar.!

Soldato
So far price is £9522 for 6,370kwh system, 5kwh GivEnergy inverter and 8.2kwh battery.

That isn't a bad price at all really. Who was the quote from? My friend lives in Hull and is looking for an install similar to mine, but doesn't want to do it himself.

The GivEnergy system is great value for what it offers, it might be worth asking how much adding a second 8.2kWh pack would cost now, vs. having it done later if you are using a lot of energy. I chose to only buy one, and get another further down the line, but I am almost regretting not getting two done straight away some days, especially with low sun days, and obviously shorter winter days.

Soldato
OP
That isn't a bad price at all really. Who was the quote from? My friend lives in Hull and is looking for an install similar to mine, but doesn't want to do it himself.

The GivEnergy system is great value for what it offers, it might be worth asking how much adding a second 8.2kWh pack would cost now, vs. having it done later if you are using a lot of energy. I chose to only buy one, and get another further down the line, but I am almost regretting not getting two done straight away some days, especially with low sun days, and obviously shorter winter days.

Company called Effective Home https://effectivehome.co.uk/

I have been really impressed with the contact so far, they get 4.6* on Trustpilot with over 700 reviews.

Back
Top Bottom