Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Associate
I'd 100% call the actual engineering/support team if the only info you got was from Facebook then.
I’ve yet to see anyone else running dual hybrids, but if this is true then that’s slightly encouraging. I’m only going by what the giv rep said on a giv Facebook support/help page. Either way, a second battery wasn’t offered to me and it’s a no go. All very disappointing!
I was told a similar thing about not officially supporting it yet - yes, some people have issues but it seems to be how it's installed ( ie. Not kept as separate system) that seems to be an issue.
I'm going to ask the members if their prepared to share some photos/schematics their systems that work.
They did say say it only shows currently as one plant on the app but I can live with that.

I do hope something is sorted out for you as I know it would be disappointing

Associate
I’ve yet to see anyone else running dual hybrids, but if this is true then that’s slightly encouraging. I’m only going by what the giv rep said on a giv Facebook support/help page. Either way, a second battery wasn’t offered to me and it’s a no go. All very disappointing!
For reference this is a user's comment from the Givenergy forum:

"we’ve got two HY5s which are completely separate except that they both connect via their MCB to the consumer unit. They have their own battery, PV and EM115 tracking grid import/export. They do work well together load sharing and they discharge their batteries overnight to 1-2% of each other, so well balanced."

Soldato
In theory two hybrid inverters should work, they may well need separate batteries and solar panel strings though. The inverter will match the frequency to what it see's, should make no difference if that's from just the grid or grid and another inverter.

If we ever get to installing an additional array, then we will have the existing Solaredge inverter and the new one.

Man of Honour
We're planning some significant work at home (50+ sqm extension) and will take advantage of this work to fit PV and Battery system. I know the ROI probably won't be realised quickly, but there's the SEG tariff which maybe not as good as FIT but meh it's better than nothing.

We have a large south facing roof (over 40sqm) so plenty of space.

Any systems NOT recommended?

Soldato
So everything seems to be up and running, batteries going through discharge currently as per commissioning process, but solar was kicking out 5+kwh easy when the sun was partly out earlier. Now to get my SEG all filled in.

Soldato
Nice, although it looks like they left some of the rails longer than need be. Watch the shading on the soil pipe - it will have an affect, but if its early morning / late afternoon only it probably won't make much difference. Or just make it shorter.

My boiler flue affects the two panels that it shades, but it shades them for most the most the day.

Soldato
Cheers, may raise that with them as the upper rails are absolutely fine its just those bottom 2, and will monitor the soil pipe. typical though, battery was discharging with full sun, soon as it gets to 0 it goes away and then its now charging itself from the grid as part of it's calibration!

Soldato
I am assuming if you have solar installed you should get some form of electrical installation certificate?

In laws had solar done recently, I asked if they had any paper work and literally nothing other than a couple of instruction manuals?

Soldato
Special installations - Part P?

Yea I just spoke to installer, yes they issue a certificate which covers part P, apparently they have to register all the serial numbers of the equipment with the manufacturer for warranty then issue the certificate.

We knew the are not MCS, not too bothered about that, but yes no electrical installation certificate at all I was very concerned.

Man of Honour
It has to be a certain height from the roof so you don't get a smell getting dragged down by the air currents - you can put an AAC on there though (just make sure to get the outside one) https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/soil-and-waste/how-to-use-an-air-admittance-valve/ problem with that (from experience) is they eventually fail and you can get syphoning in the system at which point you need to get up there and replace it.

Back
Top Bottom