Solar panels on house and selling on

Soldato
Hi guys I'm at a bit of a dead end here and seeking some guidance from folks more in the know!

I've sold my current property which was a new build by a large property developer from 2009. Now everything with the sale has gone smoothly until now which I'm at the point of exchanging contracts there is one thing that is holding everyone up. The buyers solicitors are having issue with us not having any kind of installation certificate of the solar thermal panels.

No problem I thought, I'll get hold of the management company who service this area (Radian Management) and I've had no luck with this, I've also tried the developers and even found the original installer but still nothing.

My issue here is that we never received anything when purchasing this property in the first place (we are the second owner) and our solicitors at the time never even raised any concern over this as the solar thermal panels and came with the house, not added at a later date.

Is our buyers solicitor being extra picky here and if so what else can anyone suggest to get around this? I've offered a solution of having a certified installer to write up a report and they have come back asking for this plus indemnity insurance against the panels which I feel is just taking the **** frankly.

This has held up exchange for the last 2 weeks and seems like the daftest reason to be holding things up!

Any help is appreciated :)

Associate
There was never any official scheme for solar thermal back in 2009 hence no certificate can be issued, sounds like your buyer is fitting you up for a lower offer.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Tell them to jog on. If they want the house enough, they will buy it.

+1

When we sold a few years back buyers solicitors wanted the same (indemnity insurance) for some electrical work done in the garage and for some bits related to the conservatory. I just said no - buy it or leave it - not fussed.

They bought it.

FYI - the indemnity insurance is normally to satisfy the buyers mortgage lender, not the buyer themselves.

Associate
Presume you own the panels (sounds like you do)........if so tell them to jog on!

If I was the buyer I would only have an issue if the panels were owned by a third party who effectively “rent” your roof space........legal minefield that one!

Associate
Sorry.......ignore the above, just realised it says Solar Thermal rather than Solar Photovoltaic.

Assume yours are part of the heating & hot water system.

Still think they are being awkward!

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yup, tell them they either want it or dont and you have plenty of other people interested who wont give you aggro. If they want an inspection and insurance, they can pay for it.

Soldato
OP
There was never any official scheme for solar thermal back in 2009 hence no certificate can be issued, sounds like your buyer is fitting you up for a lower offer.

That's pretty much what I've found also. As for lower offer, I honestly think he's just been advised poorly by hi, solicitor, this buyer has stuck around even after my initial purchase fell through so I'm pretty certain he's not up to any funny business on that side of things.

+1

When we sold a few years back buyers solicitors wanted the same (indemnity insurance) for some electrical work done in the garage and for some bits related to the conservatory. I just said no - buy it or leave it - not fussed.

They bought it.

FYI - the indemnity insurance is normally to satisfy the buyers mortgage lender, not the buyer themselves.

That's basically what my solicitor has said and makes it even more infuriating as he's a cash buyer with no lender to satisfy!

I think I've managed to get things moved on, I've had word that he's satisfied that we have had it maintained and provided evidence, fingers crossed I can finally exchange today.

Soldato
Tell them to jog on.

I wouldn't offer solutions to issues they raise either, you can quickly end up having more work to do/money spent. Ask them how they want the issue solving then do it or tell them to clear off if it's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom