Solasta, Crown of the Magistar

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Anyone else playing this quirky little RPG once you get past the clunky character faces and the terrible voice acting it's a cracking little RPG.

Quite hard at the start as well. Some cool fan made dungeons as well.

Soldato
Yep, or rather did and completed it a while back, before they introduced sorcerer class.

But yeah, as you say, slightly clunky and voice acting is meh, but is good fun, story is interesting and worth the 30 hours for the run I did.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Ahh I am about halfway then.

Forgot to mention its based on DnD 5th addition, and i have already switch off encumbrance a boring mechanic for a computer game.

Associate
Yup, played it through twice now. Still my favourite RPG thingy (what is this genre known as?).

The controls and combat work really well. The voice acting is great but doesn't fit the characters at all.
Hated the sorcerer class.
One fight with some tree hugging spiders went on far too long due to no long range weaponry and the spiders refusing to come down so only 1 character could fight with crappy cantrips... but the rest have been great.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Well finished this a solid 8/10 however...

More RPG with multi dimensional ********, just give me a bloody dungeon to crawl through or a wizards tower to pillage... I am sick and tired of saving the world in RPGs !!

Soldato
As an FYI expansion out for this. New campaign in different area, new class's and about as long or longer then main campaign, though some say its in part as more fetch quests. £11 so could be worth a try if you liked base game.

Soldato
As an FYI, game is on gamepass (base game) so can be tried if you have gamepass without stomping up full price. though to be fair even then its only £13 atm on steam.

Soldato
Would i get old school baldurs gate 2, icewind dale vibes ?

Well, in some ways maybe, but this is a bit different in some respects, too. It's turn-based and the combat is more tactical and methodical. I hadn't seen the thread for this game before, but it's good to see it getting some attention. I really enjoyed my time with it. It's a great implementation of DnD rules, and the use of space, cover, height, etc. in combat is great.

For some fights you really need to think about status effects, counter-strategies, force multipliers, positioning. Some of the best turn-based DnD combat I've played, probably.

Outside of the combat the game isn't amazingly deep, but as a vehicle for getting stuck into some tactical DnD fighting I thought it was pretty darn good.

Back
Top Bottom