Sold expesive board on ebay, seller says its faulty

Soldato
Sold an MSI X470 motherboard on ebay, fully working and tested, bios updated by myself as I stated in the listing, packaged it up really well, I always do, people have even left me positive feedback saying that I used enough bubble wrap to decorate there living room, the package was sent via next day delivery DPD, the buyer received it on Friday, he contacted me yesterday (Monday) saying it was faulty and doesn't work ???????

He then proceeded to send me threatening and intimidating messages...……….saying I was selling faulty goods on the bay etc and just give him his money back, I told him to return it to me for testing, something to note here is the board is only 2 months old and still under full warranty, if it was faulty, I would have just returned it to where I brought it from (shop in Bradford) and got it refunded / exchanged not sold it at a small loss.

I contacted ebay who told me to accept the return and once I receive the item back they will refund him, however I said, surely I get time to test it to see what he's been up to, they told me to contact them immediately if the board is physically damaged in anyway which is all well and good, however, im wondering if he's gone and flashed the wrong bios to it or something like that as there are very similar boards listed on the MSI website and you do have to be careful when choosing.

Is there anyway I can find out if this is what he's done ? any particular damage I should look for ? would you stick your ram and CPU etc into it to see if it still works and he just simply changed his mind etc ?

Yesterday (Monday) he couldn't send messages to me quick enough, today I have contacted ebay and escalated the claim, ive messaged him on multiple occasions asking if he's returned the board yet, even supplied a returns label and had no response what so ever from him ????

I DONT SELL DODGEY GOODS, STAT !!!

Soldato
OP
You're screwed either way, eBay will refund him and you'll end up with a duff board.

TBH im not so sure i'll ever see that board again, after some of the messages I sent him back, I think he's either trying to pull a fast one and just using faulty as an excuse to return it and get his money back, or he's worried of what he might of done to it and the come backs when I see what he's done to it.

Thankfully one of ebays return policies is you must receive the item you sent to them and in the condition you sent it to them too, I always take pictures and always note serial numbers until I receive a positive feedback, so theres no sending me back a board that he may or may not of previously killed.

Soldato
also did you take note of the serial numbers on the board etc.

Make sure IF you get it back they match if not then he knew what he was doing swapping his duff board for yours etc and then sending you one back :(.

EDIT

Sorry just read you post and yeah good job ya got serial numbers :)

Soldato
OP
also did you take note of the serial numbers on the board etc.

Make sure IF you get it back they match if not then he knew what he was doing swapping his duff board for yours etc and then sending you one back :(.

That's exactly what I did, noted the number on the board and matched it with the number on the box, one of my messages to him stated, the sticker better still be on the board, not be tampered with and match my records, im starting to think he's panicking and that's why he's not yet sent the board back or responded to any of my or eBay's messages, if id brought a defective board, and requested a return, had that return request accepted, id have it packaged back up and in the post the same day.

and ive already asked my Mrs to video me opening the package if and when I get it back, right down to unpacking and inspecting the board, i'll youtube it and send ebay the link.

Caporegime
Sounds like a basic scam. Kick up a massive fuss to see if you can get a refund without having to return the board = free motherboard.

I’d be straightforward and polite.

- inform him you have pictures of the board, it’s condition and it’s serial numbers
- he is welcome to return the board for assessment
- if it is faulty you’ll refund and return it under warranty
- if it is faulty due to physical damage you will contest the claim via PayPal

I would never sell on eBay tbh, you’re too vulnerable.

Soldato
Yeah also if you can actually get it filmed while the delivery driver rolls up to your door and have that all filmed to its more evidence etc.

Good luck man this sort of thing sucks.

Associate
This happened to me a while ago. I rung up eBay and explained everything to them, they read through all the emails what was sent between me and the buyer and it went in my favour.

Do you still have the buyers address? If so pop round

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a basic scam. Kick up a massive fuss to see if you can get a refund without having to return the board = free motherboard.

I’d be straightforward and polite.

- inform him you have pictures of the board, it’s condition and it’s serial numbers
- he is welcome to return the board for assessment
- if it is faulty you’ll refund and return it under warranty
- if it is faulty due to physical damage you will contest the claim via PayPal

I would never sell on eBay tbh, you’re too vulnerable.

- inform him you have pictures of the board, it’s condition and it’s serial numbers - done this, uploaded the pictures to ebay resolution centre so myself, him and ebay can see them.
- he is welcome to return the board for assessment - asked him to do this yesterday, return it for testing, like you stated, he just banged on about me giving him his money back or he'll go to his credit card to get his money back
- if it is faulty you’ll refund and return it under warranty - yup that's what I would have done
- if it is faulty due to physical damage you will contest the claim via PayPal - via ebay who will sort it out for me, just spoke to them again, he only has 10 days to get it back to me, any physical damage will be filmed by my partner as I open the package so they can see im not doing it, and they will take it from there.

Also just had a read through his messages again, quite funny really, he's saying it defective, give me my money back, im basically replying with return the board for testing, and he's again saying just give me my money back its defective, im saying return it for testing, then he's getting irate and saying, youre selling faulty goods on ebay, I then reply with its still under bloody warranty, if it was faulty I wouldn't have sold it on, id have returned it for a refund or replacement from where I brought it from, and his response, just give me my money back or i'll go to my credita card to get it back, ive then escalated the claim with ebay customer services......no further responses from him, they just confirmed for me too on the phone that he's not yet printed the returns label.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It’s just a scam, trying to get a refund and keep a free board. Don’t waste any energy, he’s not going to return it, he’ll just disappear.

Such SUCH !!! a shame that sellers cant leave negative feedback for buyers anymore.

EDIT: his username is louibibi he based in London, make sure if you sell anything on ebay, this user is blocked and doesn't try and scam you.

Associate
I had something similar with a graphics card.

It all started with a dispute for non-shipping. Yes, it took me a week to get it sent out, but it was already on the way when he raised the dispute (without contacting me).

It took him a week to collect it from the Post Office and then he claimed it was faulty. He raised another dispute for return which I accepted.

Card came back with physical scratches on it and totally dead. I contacted eBay and they told me there was nothing that could be done and I should contact citizens advice! So not only do I have a head graphics card, but I have shipping each way and a final value fee to pay! As a seller on eBay, you're at the mercy of people gaming the system.

I've also had one buyer send back an empty box and eBay weren't interested - that wasn't worth messing around with for £20, though.

Soldato
I think we've all been scammed at some point, theres so many scammers out there nowadays I think some people make a living off it. Were all fairly clued in when it comes to been careful online but imagine the amount of people new to online sales getting scammed left right and center out there. I dread to think how many times my parents must have been scammed.

Associate
I had exactly the same on eBay and the same as you the moment you state that you have evidence of your board ad serials numbers etc they don't bother to return it. they just try it on and half the time they will get success. Stick to your argument and best of luck

Soldato
OP
Totally do this! Any update?

Well ive been on the phone to ebay again tonight asking what he's playing at, they've made a full report to help my case, basically, he filed the return on Monday, printed the shipping label I sent on Tuesday, but according to Royal Mail tracking, he's still not even dropped it off at the post office, I told ebay tonight, theres something very fishy going on, they have said he has until next Friday to get it back to me otherwise the claim will be granted in my favour.

Im half expecting him to drop it off at the post office on Saturday, maybe he's just too busy in the week to drop it off, however, if there's no tracking info available from Saturday onwards, then he's pretty screwed as both me and my partner work and have to collect any parcels on a Saturday from the post office, as stated above, he has until Friday to get it in my hands.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom