Solid mid range devices on the cheap

Soldato
Me and the wifes phones are on their way out

currently im rocking an S7 Edge and shes on a J7 both around the same age both starting to do odd things like locking up and rebooting. Tried factory resets and on mine even rooting and flashing CFW but still doing it so needing replacements

We buy devices rather than contract them so looking for options. Anything thats an upgrade and going to be updated for the next couple years

Nothing top level though as we are replacing both at the same time and having a new baby only getting reduced wages from her side dont want to be spending 4 figures. Bang for buck while having reasonable longevity. Open to most things except maybe Moto, had a bad experience with batteries on the Moto Z and dont want to go back there

Soldato
Shame you’ve ruled out Motorola otherwise I’d have recommended the Motorola Moto G8 Power...

Energy efficient CPU which may not be the fastest in the price range but performance is still decent
Large 5000mah battery which is perfect for the energy efficient CPU
Nice large 6.4” screen
Near stock Android 10

Caporegime
Budget?

I've just got a Poco F2 Pro, and I can't think of anything I'd want beyond this. Maybe a better camera, but it's still better than my S9+ camera.

Soldato
poco f2 pro
nord
galaxy a series
xiamoi redmi series.
realme.

what are your key things that oyu look for in a phone.?
ie, camera, size, screen refresh rate.

what is the budget you are working with?
midrage id say was upto around 400quid. but thats not saying you cant get equally decent phones for 300.

Soldato
OP
was looking at the nord and 4a. would come in on the sensible side budget wise as said dont want to go into 4 figures want something modern and up to date though.

in terms of must haves.
I use wireless charging a lot at my desk. its not a deal breaker but would be nice to keep

Decent battery and performance. Im not a big mobile gamer but I play a lot of Marvel Strike Force so decent performance and battery life in that would be good. Wife also plays some games mostly suduko and Words with friends type stuff so pretty low performance requirements there

Reasonable camera. I dont own a fancy jiga pixel dlsr and while I dont take that many pics if I can get a few pics of my daughter for the future in between snapping pics of my ass / junk for the internet it would be nice.

Ideally UK purchasable I know there are some cracking chinese brands and deals out there but if it goes wrong and sometimes they do your left SOL while trying to sort replacements, so anything ali express or gear best is out for me

Would be nice to have expandable storage. Clouds great till your 4g or wireless drops out. Also ive got tubs of SD cards floating about so would be nice to use the couple currently in the phones we have to help transfer pics and stuff over

High screen refresh rates would be nice extra ive got a 144hz pc screen but never played with a 90+ hz phone so again probably not a deal breaker if it was that or breaking another 50quid or so

Soldato
realme x50 5g
or
Oneplus Nord would get my vote.

Pixel 4a is probably a good shout too but

cons: doesnt have a high refresh, only has one camera, has a smaller battery, its not out yet

for: single camera is good, stock android, its more compact.

they are all available to buy in the uk (except pixel as noted)

none of them have wireless charging though.

Back
Top Bottom