• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

[SOLVED] MSI RTX 3080 low-ish Time Spy score in comparison to others?

Associate
This is going to be really random. But when I had my windows power settings set to high performance I got low 3d mark score with the 3080 in port royal at least. Setting it to balanced increased that score by over 1000. Didn't test it on time spy to see if it made a difference there.

Associate
OP
Ok ran another test with optimised default settings on my 9700k and got a score of 16,388. That's stock settings XMP disabled etc. Something still isn't right.

My power settings through windows is already set to Balanced but have restored it to defaults and my score is: 16,475

Associate
OP
72c is the peak. That's without a custom fan curve and both scores were 16,388 and 16475. With a custom fan curve the scores were much the same.

Soldato
They're not supposed to hit 19000 easily as far as I know...

My default is hitting 17,100
Most I can manage is mid 18000s but that's overclocked with the fan locked at 100%

I've not used DDU and it's in a mATX case so likely hotter than a lot of others. Plus I'm using a 650w PSU so I don't expect to be breaking any records :D

Associate
OP
Set the lot on fire......

Only joking. I would do a fresh install of Windows. It does solve a lot of problems.

Sorry if you have done that, I only skim read

I haven't yet.... That's my last resort tbh but it's looking more and more likely at this point since I really don't get why it's not performing well. I'm hoping it's just software side since mine performs in terms of numbers as it should, clock, temp etc are all good.

Soldato
I haven't yet.... That's my last resort tbh but it's looking more and more likely at this point since I really don't get why it's not performing well. I'm hoping it's just software side since mine performs in terms of numbers as it should, clock, temp etc are all good.

Honestly, after about a hour of cocking about it's what I do.

Quick backup and wipe. Computers are that fast these days it takes 30 mins. Get it done and rule it out pal.

Soldato
Check if your gpu is running at pci-e 16x. I know some motherboards drop it to 8x if some of the other slots are used. Gpu-z will show the bus interface speed setting.

Associate
OP
Check if your gpu is running at pci-e 16x. I know some motherboards drop it to 8x if some of the other slots are used. Gpu-z will show the bus interface speed setting.

Yup, checked GPU Z and PCIe x 16 3.0 @ x 16 3.0

Seems I can't post any more now, reach 15, not sure how to reply now to other suggestions but will try and reinstall of windows 10

Oh, forgot to mention, I do have a TP Link wireless adapter installed on my 1x slot but have never experienced any issues with my previous MSI 1080 before (This has since been sold so can't test for comparison)

@koooowweeee Cheers dude, currently in the process of noting what software I have for a fresh install of Windows 10 and will update after that's done with score, really hoping this will help if not I guess somethings up with my card. If that's the case it's not exactly easy to rma it.

Reset of windows 10, and an overclock on the clock freq of +60 and mem +500 sees the score at 16,558. Honestly not sure what the issue seems to be at this point, either I'm unlucky and got a 3080 that is just an underperformer or there is something genuinely wrong. Don't get me wrong I am also lucky I have one and respect that but expected it to be at least performing close to what it should in theory.

@smogsy already tried that, including from a clean reset of windows where all I had installed and open was afterburner and steam to actually have Time spy open. Same low scores. There's only a few things I have in mind left to try now but will do it tomorrow if I get time

@Vyncenze huh interestingly I got 11,585 stock settings with Port Royal. Graphics test 53.63 FPS. What CPU do you have and what Time Spy score do you get?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, checked GPU Z and PCIe x 16 3.0 @ x 16 3.0

Seems I can't post any more now, reach 15, not sure how to reply now to other suggestions but will try and reinstall of windows 10

I think that's it for 24 hours, it's to stop bots and spammers. You can update your last post tho? Tagging someone with your reply should work.

Put @ then the name.

I don't think anyone can really help you further tho. You have tried most things. With it being new tech it's hard for anyone to know more than what you do or what's been posted already.

If you do find the fault, please come back and share

Associate
I've got the ventus 3080 and it gets 16500 graphics score on stock settings.

I am still using a 4690k though so not if it that is causing a lower score (am at or almost at 100% cpu when running the benchmark), waiting for the new ryzen release and will be picking up one of those to replace.

After overclocking I get around 17000 score, is being held back by the 320 watt power limit

Associate
I've got the ventus 3080 and it gets 16500 graphics score on stock settings.

I am still using a 4690k though so not if it that is causing a lower score (am at or almost at 100% cpu when running the benchmark), waiting for the new ryzen release and will be picking up one of those to replace.

After overclocking I get around 17000 score, is being held back by the 320 watt power limit

Ah, you must be the other 4690k + 3080 owner I saw trying to beat my score on Friday ;)

I'm really looking forward to upgrading when Zen 3 drops too, it's bottlenecking atrociously.

Associate
Ah, you must be the other 4690k + 3080 owner I saw trying to beat my score on Friday ;)

I'm really looking forward to upgrading when Zen 3 drops too, it's bottlenecking atrociously.
haha yes my username is minibren

edit: just played around and managed to beat your overall score ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
My initial guess "windows" crap you have loaded.

Close all programs running in the background and all login items

Reviewers run very minimal windows with nothing running
I know from exp just having chrome open in the bg drops my scores by 25%

Associate
Try Port Royal and see what you get. Supposedly that one is almost all GPU, so it should rule out anything weird with the CPU (I know you can compare graphics scores but still worth a go?)

Mine's 11415 with the same card, at stock

Back
Top Bottom