Some deer

Soldato
I've been getting up to get some shots of deer in the mist over the last few days. COLD! With a metal tripod, I rapidly lost the feeling in my fingers, but I got a few images that I thought were fairly decent.

1)
deer%204.jpg

2) edited
deer%205.jpg

3)
deer%206.jpg

4)
deer%207.jpg

5)
deer%208.jpg

Any/all comments welcomed. I was thinking of putting either the second or the third into the tranquil competition, but I'm not sure which yet.

Last edited:
Associate
Shot number 4 is really terrific, very much like the balance of everything. Would play with the levels a little on the others as some look a little over/under exposed in places. :)

Soldato
OP
Some good shots there! Where were they taken??
I really like No 2, however all of them are nice. Is it Swinton Park ?
It's actually Magdalen College (Oxford) deer park. I have the unfair advantage that I can fall out of bed and be there in about 3 minutes.

Thanks for the comments. As some of you have pointed out, the exposures on some of them leave a bit to be desired, but with the darkness of the trees, the mist and then later the sun as well, it was proving quite a tricky exercise. It's clearly visible in 5, where although focussed on the deer, it was metering for the mist behind them, leaving little but silhouettes. Also in 2, where I was metering for the deer but then moved the frame for composition, which brought the sky into the shot, overexposing the top corner.

// EDIT // Thinking about it, I'll probably crop off the top of 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah some promising shots there. I would go with a pretty severe crop off the top of 2, so that the grass/deer/leaves each constituted a third. I'd also be tempted to try and clone the foliage all the way across the frame.

I think 5 would also work well some of the top cropped away - I suspect it might look good in a square format.

Associate
It's actually Magdalen College (Oxford) deer park. I have the unfair advantage that I can fall out of bed and be there in about 3 minutes.

Thanks for the comments. As some of you have pointed out, the exposures on some of them leave a bit to be desired, but with the darkness of the trees, the mist and then later the sun as well, it was proving quite a tricky exercise. It's clearly visible in 5, where although focussed on the deer, it was metering for the mist behind them, leaving little but silhouettes. Also in 2, where I was metering for the deer but then moved the frame for composition, which brought the sky into the shot, overexposing the top corner.

// EDIT // Thinking about it, I'll probably crop off the top of 2.

Ive been workin with a girl who is doing a study on their behaviour for her dissertation, particularly red deer....got shed loads of photos to edit! Great time of year to photo them! Unfortunately im 45 mins from Lyme Park and Tatton Park up here in cheshire!

Back
Top Bottom