Some insurance advice please

Man of Honour
On the way to our holiday at the end of July this year, a Jag ploughed into the back of our car whilst we were stationary in a traffic jam on the M25. Fortunately no one was hurt and we were able to get to the side quickly before causing any more problems than what there was already. Strangely, the damage wasn’t as bad as I thought going by the sound of the impact. Merely cosmetic.

I took the chaps details and he seemed decent enough. I told him there that I wouldn’t be able to start this until my return in a few weeks. He understood.
On my return,I got a quote from a local body shop and said the bumper is best off being replaced as this is cheaper than a make good approach. Fair enough. So instead of contacting my insurers I emailed him stating that because the damage was only around £560 going by a quote I received, I gave him the option to settle outside of insurance. He emailed back within hours and said this would suit him. I said I would need payment up front and would be happy to supply a pro-forma invoice, which I did but only when I returned from another holiday ( I take all my time off in August).
Since then, despite emails, texts, phone calls I’ve heard nothing to this day with the exception of last week. I managed contact but he said he was in China and would be returning my emails over the weekend and he’ll reply Monday.

Monday and Tuesday comes and nothing. I thought I had been patient enough so again i called him. I must have caught him off guard as my work number carries no phone number since it’s behind a switch. When I spoke, he pretended that he couldn’t hear me and the phones been switched off since. I have left him a message via voice mail and email saying that if I haven’t heard from him by Friday 5pm I’ll be contacting my insurers to take this further. I should have done this in the first place.

I’ve not handled this too well, putting too much trust in people..

My gut feeling now is that he’s an uninsured driver, or driving illegally..
The reason I’m posting this is to asks your opinion of the matter? And what chance do i have that this has gone on too long for the insurers to bother about. Is there anything legally i can do.

I’m a bit ****** because it a small amount to be loosing any no claims protection over.

Thanks

Man of Honour
OP
Didn't get his insurance details as he said it was company owned but got his plate number and business card. I checked this out with his credit cards to verify his identity. Trying again this morning.

aslMID.. not heard of that.. Will give that a try.. I have legal cover.

edit.. just used the MID.. He is insured which is the main thing I guess. Thanks, I was unaware such a service existed. Would you recomend go through my own insurer or contact his?

Soldato
Your insurer may get a bit ****** with you as (at least my policy states) it must be reported within 48 hours of the incident.

It may be worth just going through a 3rd party claim company such as HelpHire etc

Back
Top Bottom