Some PC Components Needed To Complete My HTPC

Soldato
Hey guys,

I have a SilverStone LC10S-M+ on my way, along with some DDR2 RAM. These are going to be used in conjunction with other items to build a HTPC. The main functions are going to be Blu-ray/HD-DVD playback at 720p and internet usage.

I will also have a Microsoft MCE remote available.

My optical drive will most likely be one of those LG combo drives. I need both formats because I collect both.

For the internet, homeplugs seem to be the way for me. My internet point is located a long way from where the HDTV is, and wireless is crap in my house. Do these homeplugs really work wonders?

I was thinking about going for a C2D mobo/CPU setup and perhaps getting a 4350 GPU. But I've never built a HTPC before so would appreciate advise on what components I should get.

Also, what do people recommend as a media centre OS? I don't want to use a Windows 7 beta, as once it's built I don't want to tinker with it any further. But I can wait it out to get a full retail version if Windows 7 is going to be better for this kind of setup.

Advice will be appreciated! :)

P.S. It should be noted that I will likely be buying all items second hand to save money. I don't have a set budget but I'm looking to spend as little as possible to achieve what I'm looking for. Money's tight and there's no point throwing it away! :p

Associate
I thought HTPC used Mini ITX not Mini ATX (thus using Intel Atoms?) though it appears I am wrong on that!

As far as home plugs are concerned I think they only work on the same mains loop so upstairs to the kitchen for example may not work as they are likely to be 2 'seperate' loops.

I would choose XP for the OS unless you're happy to wait for W7 to be out properly to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thought HTPC used Mini ITX not Mini ATX (thus using Intel Atoms?) though it appears I am wrong on that!

As far as home plugs are concerned I think they only work on the same mains loop so upstairs to the kitchen for example may not work as they are likely to be 2 'seperate' loops.

I would choose XP for the OS unless you're happy to wait for W7 to be out properly to be honest.

Yes, ATX motherboards are fine, so long as you have a big enough case. ;)

I hope yourunderstanding of home plugs is incorrect as wireless is useless in my house.

Surely standard XP is a bit crap as a media centre? Or did you mean XP Media Centre edition?

Associate
Yeah I meant media centre, I wouldn't have thought anyone would use anything else from XP in a HTPC. Also my understanding on homeplugs is based entirely on noise, if the connection between 2 loops is too noisey it wont work, can't offer any more help than that there I'm afraid :(

Have you tried high gain antennas on the wireless?

Soldato
OP
I had heard before that Vista was better for a media centre, and Windows 7 even better. But it would really help if some people with experience with HTPCs could help here. :)

Got a PSU sorted out now, and will use a hard drive I have lying around.

So just need a motherboard, CPU and graphics card needed now (on the hardware front). Suggestions would be appreciated! :)

And can anyone confirm what 5abr3 has said about homeplugs?

Thanks for your assistance thusfar 5abr3. :)

Associate
I have one homeplug in study downstairs and another upstairs in my room on otherside of house. Works flawlessly, I assume it's a different loop in house but can't confirm.

Edit: yay 1000 posts

Associate
Hey guys,

I was thinking about going for a C2D mobo/CPU setup and perhaps getting a 4350 GPU. But I've never built a HTPC before so would appreciate advise on what components I should get.

If it's just for HTPC use only, I would go for onboard graphics.

I have an E5200 on a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H board with nVidia 9400 chipset. It streams Blu-Ray ISO's from the server flawlessly, better than a PS3 playing back the original disk.

The board isn't cheap, but you could go for a 9300 based board or an AMD solution which would work out cheaper.

Associate
I had heard before that Vista was better for a media centre, and Windows 7 even better. But it would really help if some people with experience with HTPCs could help here. :)

Exactly.

And you would need Windows XP Media Center edition for the MS Media Center, though you could always get your own MC player/interface. Vista and Windows 7 have Media Center as standard (Home Premium edition or higher).

Back
Top Bottom