Some people are just scumbags...

Soldato
OP
Isotope said:
True

I definitely feel that the attacks on your cats are harsh but I guess theres little that can be done about it.

Well, my response was going to be around freedom of movement in the EU...

Their laws are making it impossible to bring my animals to cyprus safely...

If this process was illegal, and the police know who it is that do it, as they have been reported many times... it could be stopped...

I am constructing a letter about this for the EU, and copying in the rspca...

:mad:

NqR

NqR

Associate
First of all i am a Greek Cypriot and i live i Cyprus.
Whoever told you that killing pets/animals(besides hunting) is legal is wrong.
I currently have around 20 cats and 4 dogs in my yard and my main problems is the main road passing in front of my house.

Anyway you can state the case to the police(if you have proof) and lead him/her to court.

Btw Even if your pets are not registered(i think it costs lots of money,around 150GBP for female dogs) you can still take legal action since he/she cannot "take the law in her hands".

Anw if you have any questions i would gladly answer them if i can.

p.s. You cant just wish "Turks should finish what they have started".Especially from a British guy(i guess).

Associate
NqR said:
I currently have around 20 cats and 4 dogs in my yard and my main problems is the main road passing in front of my house.

Anyway you can state the case to the police(if you have proof) and lead him/her to court.

Btw Even if your pets are not registered(i think it costs lots of money,around 150GBP for female dogs) you can still take legal action since he/she cannot "take the law in her hands".

p.s. You cant just wish "Turks should finish what they have started".Especially from a British guy(i guess).

No that's quite right he can't just say that, because the turks didn't start it, it was the Greeks with there silly "Enosis" the turks just invaded to prevent the turkish cypriots being massacred.

Soldato
SoSolid said:
No that's quite right he can't just say that, because the turks didn't start it, it was the Greeks with there silly "Enosis" the turks just invaded to prevent the turkish cypriots being massacred.

I suggest you study history.

Greece was under a military regime at the time, the head of the collonels was a cia agent, he wanted archbishop Makarios out, and he sent the army to persuade him to leave the island. The Turks saw that as an attack against the Turkish Cypriots and invaded the island, with Atila 1 and 2. Eventually they end up taking over half the island, killing and relocating thousands of people from their homes.

How exactly does invading and island has anything to do with "precenting a massacre?" Do you actually know what happened there or are you talking out of your ass?

Soldato
OP
NqR said:

NqR

Just want to make it clear that I DONT wish the turks finished anything, I have many many cypriot friends, it was a tongue in cheek comment I now regret, and I am gonna edit it...

This debate should not be about that issue, or jewish issues...

It was a cypriot who told me it was legal, now I know it isnt, I can take much more control...

Whereabouts are you in Cyprus? I live in Nicosia, Strovolos area, would be good to have a beer and chew the fat, always keen to meet new guys over here...

Both my cats were always careful of roads, and I have never seen them go near one, they even go out the side of my house to avoid roads... Besides, I dont live on a busy road... but my landlady has told me (she is a cypriot obviously, and a lovely one at that) that poison is a major issue around here..

Guys can we keep this discussion about the animal poisoning now please..

Ta

;)

Associate
pyro said:
I suggest you study history.

Greece was under a military regime at the time, the head of the collonels was a cia agent, he wanted archbishop Makarios out, and he sent the army to persuade him to leave the island. The Turks saw that as an attack against the Turkish Cypriots and invaded the island, with Atila 1 and 2. Eventually they end up taking over half the island, killing and relocating thousands of people from their homes.
How exactly does invading and island has anything to do with "precenting a massacre?" Do you actually know what happened there or are you talking out of your ass?
Ok first off, we have a family friend who was part of the greek cypriot national guard. His orders were to kill every single turkish cypriot he saw and take no prisoners. You forgot to mention the terrorist campaign grievous lead against the British (so many greeks forget about this!). There is a street in cyprus called makarios avenue, during the 50 if you were british you simply couldntwalk down this street without a greek terrorist attack against you. Enosis was the idea of joining Cyprus to Greece, Im sorry but I dont want to be ruled by Greece when I can be independent. But I apologise for wanting to live and for my people resisting your bullets that were fired upon us. I hope you forgive me.

Man of Honour
Having previously lived in Cyprus for fifteen years (my parents still live over there in Limassol) I feel bad because I could have told anybody who was thinking about moving there the issues they'd face with any number of things, especially their pets.

Three or four of the many, many Cypriots I know and have known actually showed something other than fear when introduced to my parents' terrier/poodle cross (basically, he isn't a fearsome beast). That's not saying the other 680.000 other Cypriots would react in the same way, but from my experience, a lot of Cypriots don't really have the same attitude to pets as we do in the UK: hunting dogs are boxed up for fifty weeks a year and let out to go hunting for the remaining two and are surprised when said dogs keel over and die before their time; I can't remember an instance where I've seen a dog being walked by a local.

Cat poisoning probably stems from the vast number of stray cats over in Cyprus: there are loads of them and they ransack bins, make a racket and spray everywhere. Even so, actively seeking out a particular cat (i.e. throwing meat over a fence) is not conducive to an image of an animal-loving nation. My parents' friend's Scottie was poisoned... and how dangerous are they (assuming it's not poked in the eye or kicked)?

Having lived in Cyprus, there are so many wonderful things about that country that would have me moving over there in an instant... but I would have to leave my two cats here in this country: I wouldn't trust them to live in Cyprus. And then there is the whole prospect of getting and keeping a job: for all the effort the country has made to facilitate their entry into the EU, there are still some practices that - by Western European standards - are backwards. The only place I've not seen people worried about poisoning was on the British military bases of Episkopi and Akrotiri (I've been to Dhekalia but not spent enough time there). None of this does much to detract for the fact that most Cypriots are lovely, kind and very generous...

And NqR, with the greatest respect, if Dr Who is a foreigner, the courts/police won't give him the time of day, unless there is irrefutable proof that a particular person was caught doing something. A Greek Cypriot might have a chance but a foreigner won't.

I'm really sorry that your two cats have been killed, Dr. - I know I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to either of my two boys...

I await the inevitable flames...

NqR

NqR

Associate
SoSolid said:
Ok first off, we have a family friend who was part of the greek cypriot national guard. His orders were to kill every single turkish cypriot he saw and take no prisoners. You forgot to mention the terrorist campaign grievous lead against the British (so many greeks forget about this!). There is a street in cyprus called makarios avenue, during the 50 if you were british you simply couldntwalk down this street without a greek terrorist attack against you. Enosis was the idea of joining Cyprus to Greece, Im sorry but I dont want to be ruled by Greece when I can be independent. But I apologise for wanting to live and for my people resisting your bullets that were fired upon us. I hope you forgive me.

Sosolid,you havent got a clue.I never bother to explain or write long posts in

In a few words, Britain was ruling Greek-Cypriots until 1954-55.That's when EOKA(National Organisation of Cypriot Fighters) started a revolution-war and England "withdraw" at the end and they signed a settlement.
" Cyprus achieved independence from the United Kingdom. However, the settlement explicitly denied enosis - the union with Greece sought by EOKA."

Then,in 1971 EOKA B was formed(EOKA B not EOKA->SoSolid) and in 1974 tried to overthrow Makarios,which was the president AND the Church captain(do know the english translation) in order to achieve a Union between Greece and Cyprus(which btw the inhabitands are Greek but due the the enlgish occupation it was considered a different country).
Then that's when Turkey invaded Cyprus with the excuse to protect the turkish minority on insland.Exploiting the civil war Turkey took over the half south part of the island leaving thousands of deaths and missing person even untill today.

NqR

NqR

Associate
Dr Who said:
Whereabouts are you in Cyprus? I live in Nicosia, Strovolos area, would be good to have a beer and chew the fat, always keen to meet new guys over here...
i live near strovolos,Deftera if it happens to heard it.What have you been doing here?Working?Studing?.
I currently study (actually last year) and i am gonna have to join the army in a few weeks:(

Soldato
NqR said:
i live near strovolos,Deftera if it happens to heard it.What have you been doing here?Working?Studing?.
I currently study (actually last year) and i am gonna have to join the army in a few weeks:(

Seira ;)

Soldato
WHO told you it is legal to kill pets in such a way? it is ABSOLUTELY illegal and i suggest you contact local ecologists and animal rights groups and make it a BIG issue in this hole called cyprus :mad:

Some years ago a crazy man (the docs said later he suffers from psychological problems) tried to kill our little cocker spaniel but luckily i saw him and we sued him right away he was sentenced to pay a large fine and he did it again caught again and sent to a psychaitric clinic.

To sum it up , cyprus =EU and they are subject to the same laws.

Soldato
well i read all the comments made for the stinky cyrpiots killing cats etc.

its nice to place labels on nations as a whole, wouldnt it be appropriate for me to say the british are a bunch of barbaric scum who LOVE fox hunting and for fun.... check animal abuse levels RSPCA provides for the UK :rolleyes:

take it easy guys, just because you have met the wrong people doesnt mean that the whole of them are like that, and i dislike cypriots for other reasons :D

Soldato
Iraklis F.C. said:
take it easy guys, just because you have met the wrong people doesnt mean that the whole of them are like that, and i dislike cypriots for other reasons :D

Yeah, what's the deal with the lame accent? :p

Associate
LOl you don't have to explain anything to me mate. My dad was part of the turkish cypriot resistance. My grandad was also part of the police force during the 1950's and actually met your terrorist friend, Grievous. I've researched the history of the island and made sure I understand both sides of the argument. I don't need some biased little punk to lecture me.

Soldato
Dr Who said:
As a lot of you know, I moved to Cyprus a few months back, well last month my beloved cats ronnie and bob moved out as well...

Last week I was told that the cypriots have a habit of throwing down poison meat to kill "strays" but they actually target areas where there are pet cats and dogs, and this is totally legal...

Its well known that the Cypriots are not an animal loving nation, and I thought this practice cannot be as bad as people say, but in the last 7 days, both of my cats have been killed by this practice...

I truely cannot believe that a nation of people can be this inhumane and barbaric...

Anyone know if there is an EU department that deals with this barbaric practice?

What are your thoughts (other than I am dumb for letting my cats get out)

:mad: :rolleyes:

Gutted for you mate, report it at least, you never know they might act. :(

As for the nationalist rows sparking up in this thread, easy fellas. No point incurring a ban.

Soldato
SoSolid said:
LOl you don't have to explain anything to me mate. My dad was part of the turkish cypriot resistance. My grandad was also part of the police force during the 1950's and actually met your terrorist friend, Grievous. I've researched the history of the island and made sure I understand both sides of the argument. I don't need some biased little punk to lecture me.

So your grandad was a cop there and your dad was with the Turkish cypriot resistance? Resist who? Or was he part of the force that occypied and still occupies the island? Do you have any idea how much death and suffering Atilla caused, and still causes to the Cypriots? I don't really need to point out who's the biased punk in here kiddo :D

Last edited:
Associate
Wish something could be done about the stray cats out there, really annoy me at night time, they make so much noise. I'm not saying they need to be killed before somebody starts having a go at me. A bit off topic, im moving back to cyprus for the summer on friday, so for anybody living in cyprus, wheres the best place to go for some good nightclubs that are pretty friendly to british, im not really aloud in the centre of ayia napa.

Back
Top Bottom