• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Some thoughts about the RRP prices of Ampere / RDNA 2 gfx cards...

Soldato
It would be useful to know how much people are paying on average, compared to the RRP of reference graphics cards.

So, how much did you pay? Or, did you manage to snag a reference model?

Can we trust RRP prices for (reference) graphics cards at all, or are they meaningless?

intuitively, many of us think the prices will remain well above the RRP for many more months, due to the current low production rate of GPUs.

Ultimately, I think what we'd all like to know is when GPU die production will increase, the impression I get from AMD and Nvidia is - they don't know either, that's why Nvidia sets a rough date of Q2. Note that they don't say the availability will be plentiful even by this point.

If any additional info about GPU die production could be posted here, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Associate
I think most people always mentioned that the production may increase such as there will be more supply in April, but I don’t know what are the sources.

Soldato
OP
The lack of FE graphics cards from NV suggests to me that things aren't going particularly well. We've had some rtx 3080 FEs 2-3 weeks ago, but as ever the quantity is low.

Soldato
OP
Got my 3090 FE from "Nvidia" for £1399, a lot of money but knowing that I could auction it off at £1700 makes me feel better.
Indeed, in your position, I'd keep the GPU for a while, then try to sell it at the RRP on an auction website before the price drops. I'd wait until GPUs at least have some availability though

Soldato
OP
I thought AMD's production would be better, considering the use of TSMCs 7nm foundries. It's not a new fabrication process anymore, so this makes me wonder if AMD, cheaped out on buying production capacity, or maybe TSMC had limited 7nm capacity available.

Associate
I went for Palit at release time as these were not popular and got a 3090 for about £1500 and a 3070 for my son for £515.00.
I had a bad experiance many years ago with Palit but these cards are solid the cooler on the 3070 is huge for the size of the card it just fits in a Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh temps are excellent on this system.

Soldato
I thought AMD's production would be better, considering the use of TSMCs 7nm foundries. It's not a new fabrication process anymore, so this makes me wonder if AMD, cheaped out on buying production capacity, or maybe TSMC had limited 7nm capacity available.

AMD is making cpu's, gpu's and console APU's so it's obvious they are focusing on the high demand of the console market right now. Traditionally they always sold less than Nvidia so put gpu's at the end of the queue for now. Nvidia on the other hand is either limiting production to inflate prices or is selling direct to miners. They made a big thing out of the lower price of the 3080 but I think that was just a carrot to entice buyers who are now paying over £1000.

Currently the gpu's are priced around £300 over msrp wehich is insane but plenty of idiots jumping at the chance to hand over the money. I'm not even gonna bother with this gen.

Soldato
OP
AMD is making cpu's, gpu's and console APU's so it's obvious they are focusing on the high demand of the console market right now. Traditionally they always sold less than Nvidia so put gpu's at the end of the queue for now. Nvidia on the other hand is either limiting production to inflate prices or is selling direct to miners. They made a big thing out of the lower price of the 3080 but I think that was just a carrot to entice buyers who are now paying over £1000.

Currently the gpu's are priced around £300 over msrp wehich is insane but plenty of idiots jumping at the chance to hand over the money. I'm not even gonna bother with this gen.

Ah ha, a fellow R9 390 user, there are few of us left now :). its still doing ok, but starting to show its age now, unless I decide to abandon games like Cyberpunk 2077 altogether. I remember thinking £250-£300 was a lot for a graphics card and that was only about 5 years ago!

Soldato
OP
they are focusing on the high demand of the console market right now

This does make we wonder if GPU production will be ramped up about the same time as the console demand has been met - optimistically, in a few months?

No reason why NV should delay, but I did see some reports suggesting poor GPU die yields on 8nm Samsung. Apparently not poor enough to warrant switching to TSMC production though

Oddly enough, if Nvidia stated (checked by third party) they don't make any profit on the 3070 FE at £470, I might be willing to spend £550 on a RTX 3070 aib. Otherwise, I'd feel ripped off.

I think the RTX 3070 FE price is purely to screw over AMD's RX 6800, which costs more for only marginally better performance, and has no DLSS equivalent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
The Nvidia cards came out mid Septemeber ? 4.5 months ago and we are still in this boat, worrying.

Is it really going to improve that much and when it does will prices magically drop back to the original prices, or will we be told they are priced what the market will pay .....

Soldato
OP
The Nvidia cards came out mid Septemeber ? 4.5 months ago and we are still in this boat, worrying.
Indeed, this is one reason why I'm not confident production rates will necessarily be better when next gen 5nm graphics cards are released, especially given that companies tend to struggle with production yields on new fabrication processes.

Last edited:
Soldato
With how long people are going to have to wait until production picks up and the 3080 having been out since September it'll probably be worth waiting for the next generation before too long, normally it's around 18 months between releases. Annoyingly the RRP is fair on the 6800XT and 3080 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom