Something Super Cool

Man of Honour
Hello! A bold thread title I know but something gave me a sense of awe today and amongst all the doom and gloom I thought I’d share.

I’m currently in Athens (holibobs) and visited the national archaeological museum. Here’s a photo I took.

mi8nR7z.jpg

This is made out of bronze and is early first century BC, so over two thousand years old. In fact, just read the blurb from the museum:

TNNMVqq.jpg

It was so realistic it utterly blew me away. He was wrinkly! It’s one thing to make this out of stone but out of bronze? So presumably there was a mold made out of wax / clay / stone? Wow - how long must have that taken :eek:

Now here’s the bit which really boggled my mind. A little bit of backstory (soz): I have an iPhone XR (ooo look at me) which has a camera mode that can, via techno wizardly, replicate the blurry ‘bokeh’ (aka Raymond Lin) effect with a single camera lens. This is a really clever piece of modern tech but on this particular phone it will ONLY work if the phone can detect a face and in my experience it’s pretty picky (and sometimes refuses to pick up an actual human face). Everyone I have shown off this feature to has been impressed by it. It is very, very cool.

Low and behold, the bronze sculpture was so realistic that my space age modern invention phone was able to recognise it as a human face, permitting me to take the above ‘slightly blurry background’ photo. IMHO that is super, super cool - technologies from two millennia apart colliding :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hope I didn’t bore you :o :)

Soldato
Yeah more than likely a mold was made out wax, and then put into some kind of investment. The wax can then be melted out and a solid block of material (With the "cut out" of the wax inside) is left. Bronze melted down, poured in, investment washed away and et voila.

Mad that it's over 2000 years old though. It seems people can't even pull their trousers up, spot an eBay scam, buy the right kind of sofa or purchase the right colour carpet/wallpaper themselves these days :(

Now here’s the bit which really boggled my mind. A little bit of backstory (soz): I have an iPhone XR (ooo look at me) which has a camera mode that can, via techno wizardly, replicate the blurry ‘bokeh’ (aka Raymond Lin) effect with a single camera lens. This is a really clever piece of modern tech but on this particular phone it will ONLY work if the phone can detect a face and in my experience it’s pretty picky (and sometimes refuses to pick up an actual human face). Everyone I have shown off this feature to has been impressed by it. It is very, very cool.

Low and behold, the bronze sculpture was so realistic that my space age modern invention phone was able to recognise it as a human face, permitting me to take the above ‘slightly blurry background’ photo. IMHO that is super, super cool - technologies from two millennia apart colliding :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to see a face, at least it does't on the iPhone 8+

Associate
Always good to see some impressive sculpture instead of modern art garbage heaps / 'women's stimulation accessory' monsters.

There are other impressive examples like those in the Sansevero Chapel:

3kjYjwC.jpg

The realism of the veil effect has even given rise to the conspiracy theory that these sculptures involved transmuting real people in to marble. Now that's art :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Always good to see some impressive sculpture instead of modern art garbage heaps / ***** monsters.

There are other impressive examples like those in the Sansevero Chapel:

3kjYjwC.jpg

The realism of the veil effect has even given rise to the conspiracy theory that these sculptures involved transmuting real people in to marble. Now that's art :D
I wonder whether that inspired the monster in the Thing remake - creepy! :)

Soldato
One thing I miss most about living and working in Greece is all the museums and archaeological sites. You could live there for a thousand years and still not run out of things to explore.

Soldato
I think we have to tendency to look back at people in the past and think of them as being less capable than we are but you only to have to see some of the historic creative talent to have that illusion broken. Some of the techniques used in these sculptures have been lost to history and masters today would struggle to compare, that said art always evolves and realism isn't as important as it used to be but still.

Our understanding of the world and our evolving technology may have changed but the strive to create and learn has always been there.

Man of Honour
OP
I think we have to tendency to look back at people in the past and think of them as being less capable than we are but you only to have to see some of the historic creative talent to have that illusion broken. Some of the techniques used in these sculptures have been lost to history and masters today would struggle to compare, that said art always evolves and realism isn't as important as it used to be but still.

Our understanding of the world and our evolving technology may have changed but the strive to create and learn has always been there.
You’ve reminded me of something else that blew my mind.

9MAc9KB.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

:)

Back
Top Bottom