Song & Album of the year so far

Man of Honour
Carzy said:
Can't be looking very hard...

I actually made a similar post in a thread last year (regarding albums not singles). The best album I could think of was actually Broken Daylight's one which was pimped on this very forum :)

Soldato
why am i not surprised by most of the stuff thats come up in this thread?

on the other hand, someone mentioned mars volta which i am surprised about.

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Poor crop so far...

10k days sticks out

Carzy, where do you hear about most of those bands?

Various music websites, forums, magazines etc. Also people recommend me music and vice versa. Last.fm is pretty good for finding new stuff too, especially as a lot of the "groups" branch out to set up their own forums and other such things.

Associate
Albums

Camera Obscura - Let's get out of this country
Regina Spaktor - Begin to Hope
Graham Coxon - Love travels at illegal speeds
Karine Polwart - Scribbled in chalk

Songs

The three takes on Sufjan Steven's Chicago as featured on Avlanche
Karine Polwart - Hole in the heart

Associate
By far the best album this year for me is Bomb the Music Industry!'s Goodbye Cool World. This album is so catchy and I can listen to it over and over. A good review of it is here.

The best thing is it is free! You can download it from http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/. It is worth reading the lyrics and explanations to to see the reasoning behing the songs (5 Funerals) and how they were made (All Alone in my Big Empty Apartment).

Soldato
sinister_stu said:
I believe Mike Patton said that it was his idea of pop music. It's very good, but I wouldn't call it pop music.
I agree. It's more hip hop imo with some jazz, funk and other various styles chucked together. It does hark back to FNM in places too. But it certainly is good.

Associate
sneakyd said:
Have a listen to the lyrics Sinister_Stu. There's more to songs than the sound.

Plenty of dance music for that.

I assume you're referring to Snow Patrol, in which case, you're right the lyrics are much better than the music. Unfortunately, the music is repetitive and shows little in the way of new ideas, reducing the good lyrics to icing on a not particularly good cake.

Soldato
sinister_stu said:
I assume you're referring to Snow Patrol, in which case, you're right the lyrics are much better than the music. Unfortunately, the music is repetitive and shows little in the way of new ideas, reducing the good lyrics to icing on a not particularly good cake.
Yes. The same works in reverse. The music can be good, but if the lyrics are crap then it does reduce the quality of the songs somewhat.

Associate
Also, a song with mediocre lyrics and good music is better than one with good lyrics and mediocre lyrics. The vocal line is often more important to the song than the content of the lyrics.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I'm going to ruin this thread by saying:

Pussycat Dolls - PCD

:D can't stop playing it - don't flame me! I'm a girl and I'm allowed and there is no song on it that I dislike!!!

:)

BB x

Back
Top Bottom