Song & Album of the year so far

Associate
It aint out yet but i saw them live and they played some of their new stuff, Kasabian - Empire

Some really good tracks on their, especially shoot the runner!

Wolfmothers album has also been pretty hot, breath of fresh air compared to the usual stuff that gets released these days

I Also enjoyed stadium arcadium by the fantastic RHCP....undoubtedly the best band i have ever seen live!

oh and inme are releasing a live album soon....doubt that counts tho! Tho their new album is in the process of being made so hopefully it will be released soon! ;)

Soldato
tom26 said:
Razorlight - In The Morning

This song is catchy in the worst possible way. The kind of way that makes you want to decapitate every member of Razorlight, but save a particularly gruesome death for Borrell. But then I feel I want to kill them every time I see that person who calls himself a frontman anyway.

Soldato
OP
tom26 said:
Best album has to be the Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
(awaits slating from the anti chili pepper group on the forums)

and best song I reckon Razorlight - In The Morning
I don't mind RHCP, but stadium arcadium was a mediocre album at best, with a couple of good songs - but barely enough to fill an album - let alone a double album

Soldato
Augmented said:
Despite Cat Power releasing an album this year, Don't Let Stars Keep Us Tangled Up by Cortney Tidwell is the one LP that's really sparked my attention. It's her full-length debut, following a short self-titled EP.

Yet another fantastic suggestion, cheers Augmented
icon14.gif
Really impressed with her music - indeed she does sound a little like Bjork, perhaps Bjork comined with Sigur Ros. Do you have any other newish music to recommend? (however not the really avant garde stuff I know you listen to;))

Soldato
Song - Nickelback - Animals

Album - Muse - Black Holes and Revelations

Without a doubt in my mind, this is the best album I've bought in a LONG time.

I'm going to go see them in Novemeber, I'm getting giddy! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Albums:
Drowning in a sea of love - Nathan Fake
Peeping Tom
AWWTM - Flaming Lips

Songs:
Young Folks - Peter Bjorn & John
Love Like Semtex - The Infadels

Soldato
Oooh gosh nearly the end of the year, let me see...

Take That - Beautiful World.

Not.

Albums:

Joanna Newsom - Ys (I cannot describe how beautiful this is)
Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope
Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

Songs:

Regina Spektor - Fidelity
Muse - Map Of The Problematique
The All American Rejects - Move Along
Beyonce - Irreplaceable
Joanna Newsom - Emily
The Strokes - You Only Live Once

Soldato
DJ Tiesto - In Search Of Sunrise 5. Really love this album, been listening to occasionally whilst jogging/boxing/driving whatever the occasion! Best of the series imo.

Imogen Heap - Speak For Yourself. You most know why :)

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm. Only come across this fantastic band earlier this year and been loving it.

Concord Dawn - Choas By Design. Some awesome DnB tunes on this.

Ministry of Sound Presents:
Dirty Sexy Music - Good compilation
Maximum Bass - Again, good compilation

Eminem Presents the Re-Up. Only listened to it a couple of times but I know it'll be played a lot more.

Dj Shadow - Enducing. Some good beats!

I also quite like Gwen Stefani's new album :o

Soldato
Doohickey said:
Joanna Newsom - Ys (I cannot describe how beautiful this is)
No need to :). That easily tops the list for me.

Other than that;
  • Max Richter - Songs from Before. Didn't think he could match the brilliance of The Blue Notebooks, but he managed it with complete grace.
  • Bat for Lashes - Fur and Gold Only just got into this, but she's come out with a really excellent album. Reminds me of Goldfrapp's best moments on Felt Mountain, before they went all glam-****.
  • Bella Union - not album, but label of the year, and what a year from them. A result of both Howling Bells - Howling Bells and Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther - best indie-rock-whatsit of the year (also Gang of Losers, but it just didn't grab me).

Special mentions to 東京事変 [The Tokyo Incidents] - Adult (not quite as catchy as the debut), Cat Power - The Greatest (I'm starting to feel she's playing the fool) and Mogwai - Mr Beast (not consistent enough). Oh, and...

2006 was a good year to my ears.

Caporegime
I'm going to get killed but...

I really like 12 Stops and Home by The Feeling.

I'm trying to get into the Muse album too, but it dips a bit in the middle and I can't quite grasp it. I don't think it's as good as Absolution.

In other news, The Killers album was a serious disappointment.

Um... that's pretty much the only new CDs I've bought this year. Being poor is the suck.

Back
Top Bottom