The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
I suspect the engineering/design/electronics team at Sony have some sound reasoning as to their expert decision.

Accept it for what it is - a brilliant bit of kit.
I guess people suspected the same when Fuji said that adding IBIS affects image quality so they aren't going to do it, or any other convenient excuse a manufacturer tells people when they haven't done something they should have with a product. With all respect, don't believe everything you read from companies because long experience tells me in many instances it is BS.

I accept the A7RIII is a great-specced camera, but implying people can't voice their opinion about something they feel is a weakness and should just "accept it for what it is" is illogical and the kind of thing simplistic argument a child would use.

Associate
I'll happily listen to anyone who is an expert in design/engineering or electronics Raymond, but anyone else its just pedantic circular arguments. BTW is that a Sony A7R Mark III with a broken hotshoe?

Caporegime
I'll happily listen to anyone who is an expert in design/engineering or electronics Raymond, but anyone else its just pedantic circular arguments. BTW is that a Sony A7R Mark III with a broken hotshoe?

The principle is that this is the internet, a forum specific for discussion. A new camera is out, we discuss it. This isn’t the Sony fan club where no criticisms are allowed.

Ergo, we discuss cameras.

Caporegime
I'll happily listen to anyone who is an expert in design/engineering or electronics Raymond, but anyone else its just pedantic circular arguments.

If you believe that a company is always using scientific and truthful explanations then you are incredibly naive and lets just leave it at that.

BTW is that a Sony A7R Mark III with a broken hotshoe?
The screenshot even says "A9"...

Soldato
Those are some crazy people……80mp ?!

Can you imagine the CPU power it needs to do that at 10fps? and can you imagine it NOT overheat?

Not a chance lol

I remember my dad getting a 1MP camera and saying thats all you'll ever need......He said the same about 1GHZ cpus too....He knows nothing

Caporegime
I remember my dad getting a 1MP camera and saying thats all you'll ever need......He said the same about 1GHZ cpus too....He knows nothing
I think this is a bit different. 80MP means huge file sizes, huge data transfer bottlenecks on anything except XQD (and even then it will will struggle with high FPS dumps), and requires much more powerful hardware internals just to drive it. The real question is what benefit does 80MP+ bring you if you are not a niche photographer such as aerial shots or something like that? Even 16-24MP will cover a billboard.

Associate
The principle is that this is the internet, a forum specific for discussion. A new camera is out, we discuss it. This isn’t the Sony fan club where no criticisms are allowed.

Ergo, we discuss cameras.

Yes I agree, but people are being pedantic. There is a difference.

Richdog - classic - belittle then cut off discussion. I am not naïve in any way or shape. I happen to think that Sony having considered their options using experts, decided that the camera would be configured as it is.

As regards the photograph - yes I know it has A9 on the top. I was wondering why it was posted.

Caporegime
Pedantic would be moaning about the camera’s mount twist on the opposite way, pedantic isn’t when one slots of slower than the other, when you have 42mp files you need all the speed that you have. Pedantic isn’t when Nikon managed to put in 2 UHD-2 slots in theirs pushing through 45mp files at 9fps, so it proves it can be done.

I only question the lack of dual UHS-2 slots will slow it down, the same criticism at Canon even when I am a Canon shooter, it would be hypocritical of me not to bring the same to Sony, why are they immune to the same question?

Again, I am only asking the question, you can speculate answers but as a discussion forum, we need to ask the questions like we question Sony’s lens line up in which they have been improving, like we question Canon’s sensor performance and they have been improving. Like we question Nikon’s video capabilities and they have been improving. It’s not pedantic, its not don’t like it, don’t buy it. As a consumer, I will always ask questions.

Caporegime
Yes I agree, but people are being pedantic. There is a difference.

Richdog - classic - belittle then cut off discussion. I am not naïve in any way or shape. I happen to think that Sony having considered their options using experts, decided that the camera would be configured as it is.

As regards the photograph - yes I know it has A9 on the top. I was wondering why it was posted.
Eh, me cutting off discussion? You said unless I was an electronics expert there was no point discussing and it was a circular argument. Seems like you're not even sure what you're saying if you're contradicting yourself like that. :confused:

And Raymond is right, calling someone pedantic for raising a valid criticism is daft. It's a discussion thread and if you can't handle differing opinions like an adult then that's not out fault. :)

Soldato
I guess people suspected the same when Fuji said that adding IBIS affects image quality so they aren't going to do it, or any other convenient excuse a manufacturer tells people when they haven't done something they should have with a product. With all respect, don't believe everything you read from companies because long experience tells me in many instances it is BS.

I accept the A7RIII is a great-specced camera, but implying people can't voice their opinion about something they feel is a weakness and should just "accept it for what it is" is illogical and the kind of thing simplistic argument a child would use.
Then look elsewhere? Vote with your wallet

Caporegime
Then look elsewhere? Vote with your wallet
Thanks jonny, if you hadn't of posted that sage advice I would have ordered one automatically without even thinking... . you just saved me £3000. :eek:

It never ceases to amaze me how irrationally defensive people get over stuff like this, you say a camera looks amazing and criticise one single feature and people still manage to act like it's a personal insult. Highly amusing.

When the price of this drops a it I will be very tempted to ditch Fuji and order one. That won't stop me wishing they would have out 2x uhsii card slots inside. :D

Soldato
Thanks jonny, if you hadn't of posted that sage advice I would have ordered one automatically without even thinking... . you just saved me £3000. :eek:

It never ceases to amaze me how irrationally defensive people get over stuff like this, you say a camera looks amazing and criticise one single feature and people still manage to act like it's a personal insult. Highly amusing.

When the price of this drops a it I will be very tempted to ditch Fuji and order one. That won't stop me wishing they would have out 2x uhsii card slots inside. :D
I'm not defends. Far from it. I've used the A9 for sports using dual sd card slots and in the real world it never affected me on the field for my style of shooting. You could shoot Usain Bolt from start to finish on a 100m sprint before the buffer is filled. It takes a while to completely write to both cards but you can still shoot and don't need to wait until all files have been sent to your cards.

Listen. This camera is not perfect. No camera is. Even the 1dx2 doesn't have identical slots. Same as the d850 actually.

Soldato
Pedantic would be moaning about the camera’s mount twist on the opposite way, pedantic isn’t when one slots of slower than the other, when you have 42mp files you need all the speed that you have. Pedantic isn’t when Nikon managed to put in 2 UHD-2 slots in theirs pushing through 45mp files at 9fps, so it proves it can be done.

I only question the lack of dual UHS-2 slots will slow it down, the same criticism at Canon even when I am a Canon shooter, it would be hypocritical of me not to bring the same to Sony, why are they immune to the same question?

Again, I am only asking the question, you can speculate answers but as a discussion forum, we need to ask the questions like we question Sony’s lens line up in which they have been improving, like we question Canon’s sensor performance and they have been improving. Like we question Nikon’s video capabilities and they have been improving. It’s not pedantic, its not don’t like it, don’t buy it. As a consumer, I will always ask questions.
I thought the d850 has an sd card slot and one xqd slot? And the buffer is terrible considering they are using a xqd slot. It's barely any better than the 5d4.

Caporegime
Let's just leave it at that we all have the right to question why it doesn't have dual uhsii slots, regardless of what other cameras have as that doesn't make a difference. :)

I am going to try and have a play with a Sony a7r2 this weekend and check out some lenses.

Anyone know if the Sony smartphone apps are any good? Fujis sucked.

Soldato
Let's just leave it at that we all have the right to question why it doesn't have dual uhsii slots, regardless of what other cameras have as that doesn't make a difference. :)

I am going to try and have a play with a Sony a7r2 this weekend and check out some lenses.

Anyone know if the Sony smartphone apps are any good? Fujis sucked.
Bro I'm not saying you should not question the camera? Wtf happened here lol

Caporegime
Bro I'm not saying you should not question the camera? Wtf happened here lol
You said to 'vote with my wallet and don't buy it', which was just a pointless thing to say unless you think I would spend three grand something I didn't like, and in the end the memory card slots, while a factor, are of course not the end of the world. Anyway I said let's leave it there and then changed topic, do we really need to carry it on? :)

Soldato
You said to 'vote with my wallet and don't buy it', which was just a pointless thing to say unless you think I would spend three grand something I didn't like, and in the end the memory card slots, while a factor, are of course not the end of the world. Anyway I said let's leave it there and then changed topic, do we really need to carry it on? :)
Its not pointless. You feel that dual identical card slots are important and it sounded like a deal breaker for you

Caporegime
Its not pointless. You feel that dual identical card slots are important and it sounded like a deal breaker for you
Nope, I was just voicing a frustrated criticism and then you made a wrong and slightly odd assumption that I needed to be advised not to buy something I don't want.

Do we need further protracted discussion on this or can we finally drop it and talk about the other stuff in my previous post like apps etc? :)

Back
Top Bottom