The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Caporegime
9min29, So a sony official admits the camera wont stand up to the same harsh weather conditions as a 1Dx/D5. so yeahs, what exactly is the point of this $4.5K camera? It is priced for the pros but is clearly no match. I'm sure the images are stunning and its filled to the bring with great technology but =for pros it is often the simple things, like can i hold it with a 70-200 for 4 hours in the rain and not have the camera or my fingers die? how many times will i have to change a battery during an event?

Soldato
Takes 2 minutes to write the 200shot buffer to card, that is a deal breaker for pros. And that is when using only the single fast slot. Seems liek the 2nd lsot is slwoer and clearing the buffer takes 3 or more minutes. Can you imagine shooting an sports event and you can't take a photo for 2-3 minutes? 200 photos sounds like a lot but that is 10seconds worth if you are shooting at the highest frame rate.
I can't understand why they decided not to use the XQD design. Sony always fail at something small, always...

Caporegime
Sony is on the right track but the glass is still half full, without the lenses no matter how good the bodies it is hard for people to jump ship, especially for where this camera is intended for.

Agreed. i have looked at getting a Sony several times from a A6500 to a A7 and now this one and everytime they are just not quite there or mess something important up. Great they are making huge strides with their technology but in reality it seems to be other camera manufacturers who end up making the better camera using the Sony tech.

Soldato
Screen_Shot_2017_04_27_at_12_37_56_PM.png

That is another deal breaker for pros. If the mount flange distance was more like DSLRs then you would have that problem, which is yet another reason why Nikon and Canon will liekly keep the same mount. Otherwise the camera need to be made much wider so there is a better space in the finger grip.
This guy does have fat fingers lol! Mines not that fat so not a problem for me

Soldato
In the video you posted he said the 3D tracking of the A9 was good but the Nikon's was better. I don;t think that is an issue for msot people but if Sony want $4.5K for the camera they have to show why.
Yea he also said that its as good as the 1dx mk2 though.

As long as its on par with one of those camera bodies its a winner in my book.

The difference between the d5 and A9 is very small when it comes to AF and if you think thats a deal breaker then so would the 1dx2 because the tracking on that is also not as good as the D5

Soldato
Agreed. i have looked at getting a Sony several times from a A6500 to a A7 and now this one and everytime they are just not quite there or mess something important up. Great they are making huge strides with their technology but in reality it seems to be other camera manufacturers who end up making the better camera using the Sony tech.
do you shoot sports or wildlife? if not and you primarily shoot between 14mm-400mm then you have plenty of lenses to choose from in the E mount

Caporegime
do you shoot sports or wildlife? if not and you primarily shoot between 14mm-400mm then you have plenty of lenses to choose from in the E mount

Indeed now I have but the body still has issues etc. Its never quite all there is what I am getting at. When I first looked at Sony, the lenses werent there and what was was silly money compared to the canon/nikon competition. The range has now improved but they keep messing something else up.

Caporegime
Exactly.

Pro camera price tag, but this is not a viable alternative to a 1Dx/D5 for pros.

If it was priced at more like $2200-2500 or so then it would be a great camera for its price.

I'm also curious what the FPS is with actual Autofocus. the 20FPS is without AF and it drops a lot when needing to focus. Now the Canon and Nikon pro bodies are the same but don't drop as much. The D5 can do around 12FPS with AF and the A9 seems to do something like 12-14. That is not really significantly faster and if the D5 is return even slightly more keepers then form a Pros perspective it would be a more dependable camera.

Anyway it seems like Sony is more interested in selling a camera with a very high price tag than seriously attracting the pros. If they wanted the pros they would have started with a pro-body like the 1Dx/D5 with some hefty batteries and pro-quality weather sealing. Sony's strategy seems strange but then recently they made an announcement that in terms of FF sales value they were #2 in the US for the last quarter e.g. surpassing Nikon. Apart form just being 1Q of 1 market the real devil is in the detail, sales value was higher but sales volume must have been lower Sony sold less FF camera but at a higher price point to generate a higher gross revenue. And given mirror-less cameras are cheaper to make than DSRLs, especially with a small less pro-like body then Sony really did well generating a lot of profit. This matches the sony lens pricing which is also very high. That is all very good news for Sony but doesn't mean much to consumers.

Caporegime
If it was priced at more like $2200-2500 or so then it would be a great camera for its price.

I'm also curious what the FPS is with actual Autofocus. the 20FPS is without AF and it drops a lot when needing to focus. Now the Canon and Nikon pro bodies are the same but don't drop as much. The D5 can do around 12FPS with AF and the A9 seems to do something like 12-14. That is not really significantly faster and if the D5 is return even slightly more keepers then form a Pros perspective it would be a more dependable camera.

Anyway it seems like Sony is more interested in selling a camera with a very high price tag than seriously attracting the pros. If they wanted the pros they would have started with a pro-body like the 1Dx/D5 with some hefty batteries and pro-quality weather sealing. Sony's strategy seems strange but then recently they made an announcement that in terms of FF sales value they were #2 in the US for the last quarter e.g. surpassing Nikon. Apart form just being 1Q of 1 market the real devil is in the detail, sales value was higher but sales volume must have been lower Sony sold less FF camera but at a higher price point to generate a higher gross revenue. And given mirror-less cameras are cheaper to make than DSRLs, especially with a small less pro-like body then Sony really did well generating a lot of profit. This matches the sony lens pricing which is also very high. That is all very good news for Sony but doesn't mean much to consumers.

Perfect summary really. its overpriced or not good enough. Sony just keeps missing the mark.

Although I hope Sony keep going and its keeps Nikon and Canon on their toes and is good for tech developments full stop.

Eventually Sony will bring out a world beater at a good price. By then their lens lineup should be pretty complete.

Caporegime
Perfect summary really. its overpriced or not good enough. Sony just keeps missing the mark.

Although I hope Sony keep going and its keeps Nikon and Canon on their toes and is good for tech developments full stop.

Eventually Sony will bring out a world beater at a good price. By then their lens lineup should be pretty complete.

The game Sony is playing is they have to do that and bring out enough good lenses at the same time. They have to do it before Canon or Nikon bring out their own killer body. Because 1 killer body from Canon and Nikon will totally destroy Sony's plans to get pros to convert. Canon and Nikon is on a clock to bring out their own body to match Sony before Sony can bring out those lenses, Sony needs to bring out those lenses before Canon bring out their own killer body.

Interesting to see who wins.

Soldato
The game Sony is playing is they have to do that and bring out enough good lenses at the same time. They have to do it before Canon or Nikon bring out their own killer body. Because 1 killer body from Canon and Nikon will totally destroy Sony's plans to get pros to convert. Canon and Nikon is on a clock to bring out their own body to match Sony before Sony can bring out those lenses, Sony needs to bring out those lenses before Canon bring out their own killer body.

Interesting to see who wins.
Well canikon won't be bringing out a new d6 or 1dx3 any time soon mate!

Caporegime
Will it still be e mount? The flang distance is an issue

I expect it to be an EF mount.

As you said...vice versa, Sony isn't bringing out a 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm, 11-24, 14mm, 15mm anytime soon.

Canon will definitely release a new 1DX body in 4-5 years.

The question is whether Sony will release all those lenses within that time because Canon is certain to release a new 1D body within that time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I expect it to be an EF mount.

As you said...vice versa, Sony isn't bringing out a 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm, 11-24, 14mm, 15mm anytime soon.

Canon will definitely release a new 1DX body in 4-5 years.

The question is whether Sony will release all those lenses within that time because Canon is certain to release a new 1D body within that time.
There is already a few 14mm primes. I've got one myself!

Sony churn out more lenses then Canon recently so they should be able to release those tele primes as they aim to be ready for the next Olympics in 3 years time

Caporegime
There is already a few 14mm primes. I've got one myself!

Sony churn out more lenses then Canon recently so they should be able to release those tele primes as they aim to be ready for the next Olympics in 3 years time

Ok, 1 down by my argument still stands, 5 years...

As for those lenses, because they are of a similar focal length, the tooling are similar, it's a totally different kettle of fish for these larger lenses hence they take so long.

Back
Top Bottom