Sony and Blu-Ray question (business related, not technical)

Associate
Evening all,

I think I recall seeing a tv program a while ago which talked about the PS3 vs 360 "profits" and how, despite making a huge loss on the consoles, Sony were better off overall due to Blu-Ray wining the HD format war.

My question is, why were Sony so desperate to win said war? I've done some research which suggests they didn't even own 30% of the Blu-Ray patent (as many other companies are in on the Blu-Ray spoils). Does anyone have any idea how Sony makes it's money from Blu-Rays? I have tried to look this stuff up but I'm failing miserably in getting anything vaguely concrete, which justifies the huge losses Sony made selling PS3's.

Am I remembering this program incorrectly or are my google skills failing me miserably tonight? Is anyone able to explain this or, even better, source anything which explains my questions?

TIA

Soldato
i always looked at the bluray capability as sony's ace card against microsoft.

the x-box 'red circle of death' scenario would have also made a wallop in brand belief and loyalty.

why wouldn't sony be so desperate to win the war? of course they wanted to win it and maintain their position.

didn't microsoft bring out a blu-ray add-on anyway? this in itself should show they missed a trick.

they then both moved into the wii style of play. nintendo had two ace cards with that.

Caporegime
You guy's google skills need some work :p

Sony wanted to win the BR v HDDVD war was because they got burn from Betamax v VHS back in the late 70's to early 80's. Betamax was technically a better format but lost to VHS, why? well, I could go into it but read this, it should give you an idea.

http://www.t3.com/features/betamax-to-blu-ray-famous-format-wars

Google - Sony, Betamax, Bluray and its variants you will find loads of articles on it, from the history back in the 70's to the latest HD-DVD war and why it did what it did to make sure it won this time...etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Because once Blu-Ray won the format war, people would want a good blu-ray player. And the PS3 offered a very good value player which also doubled as a current gen game console. Therefore they could make many extra sales because of people simply wanting the player.

Man of Honour
Because once Blu-Ray won the format war, people would want a good blu-ray player. And the PS3 offered a very good value player which also doubled as a current gen game console. Therefore they could make many extra sales because of people simply wanting the player.

That's my thoughts on the matter, too, pretty much.

Also MS brought out an HD-DVD addon for the Xbox. They've never had a BD capability on it (to my knowledge).

Personally, I thought HD-DVDs looked better, from image/still comparisons, but that's just me. I now have a sony bd player and I'm very happy with it :)

Soldato
i imagine it will be because they own a slight percentage of the patent etc. every time a blu ray is licensed or sold they get a piece of a the pie. maybe they have printing factories as well so get dosh that way. lose money on the console. make it back on the games and films through sneaky methods ?

Back
Top Bottom