Sony Bravia TV and Wifi link

Associate
A friend has just bought the Sony Bravia KDL-32W5500 tv, which has the following feature :

Enjoy video, music and photo content from your computer on your TV with DLNA home networking technology

It has : DLNA Ethernet (Video/Music/Photo)

My friend says it would be impossible to connect it to his (wireless) router as there's no easy way to get a wire down. He wants to get a wireless connection to the tv.

Do you think something like the "Belkin 802.11g Wireless G Gaming Adapter" would do the job?

I also noticed the tv has a PCMCIA card slot, as an alternative would a wifi PCMCIA card work?

Soldato
The Belkin adaptor may work - it's just a ethernet to wireless bridge so I guess it's fairly straight forward.

As for the "PCMCIA" slot, it's most likely a CAM slot not a PCMCIA slot.
Even if it was a proper PCMCIA then it's still unlikely to work....you'd need drivers and how would you get the driver into the TV and stored on what??

Soldato
G can cope streaming 1080p just fine. its only about 1MB/s with a high bitrate sometimes 700KB/s

StevenG

Nah, it's a little higher than that - 720p is around 700KB/s - 1MB/s, 1080p is between 1.5 and 2MB/s.

So you'd need at least a stable 16Mb/s connection on your wifi, which is pretty unlikely if it's got to go through a wall.

Has your friend considered Powerline by the way? I find it gives a much better connection than wireless if you've got any rooms to traverse. Couldn't be any simpler to set up either it really is plug and play.
My pair go right across the house and give me a stable 30Mb/s as measured by iperf. My wireless n network across the same distance barely gives me a stable net connection.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah, it's a little higher than that - 720p is around 700KB/s - 1MB/s, 1080p is between 1.5 and 2MB/s.

So you'd need at least a stable 16Mb/s connection on your wifi, which is pretty unlikely if it's got to go through a wall.

depends what you are streaming but yeah that is closer to the mark. 16Mb/sec would cover it for mkv's i would have thought, but not raw video and audio from a bluray. you'd need closer to 72Mb/sec sustained for that.

Associate
OP
Has your friend considered Powerline by the way? I find it gives a much better connection than wireless if you've got any rooms to traverse. Couldn't be any simpler to set up either it really is plug and play.
My pair go right across the house and give me a stable 30Mb/s as measured by iperf. My wireless n network across the same distance barely gives me a stable net connection.

I mentioned powerline first of all, but I don't know much about it to be honest. From what you say, it does sound like the thing he needs.

Back
Top Bottom