Sony cancels VRR and ALLM support

Soldato
Public FYI announcement: Sony has been promising theses HDMi 2.1 features for its x900h TV for 6 months now.

today it's announced that you will have to buy a new 2021 model, 2020 models will no longer get it

Soldato
Don't buy on promises of what a product might be in the future. If a company can't sell what you want now, wait until they can, or buy something else.

Soldato
I was considering Sony as an option next year for when I upgrade from my C8 OLED from a 55" model to 65. I won't be doing so now, despite the current previews looking good (brighter displays due to a heat shield being applied and a new image processor).

Obviously I'm not impacted as I don't own the subject TV set but I was burned by the ATV1 Sony sets that were unstable, has a slow UI and came with missing features such as USB recording that were promised as updates. Those updates took too long to come and often did stupid things like disabling the satellite tuners when enabling YouView.
Clearly Sony haven't changed on the software support front and still overpromise and under deliver.

Doesn't look like this has officially been confirmed by Sony but the removal of these features from the support pages on their own site does suggest it could be true.

Soldato
Wow. I almost bought these models based on this promise, thinking "It's Sony, they'll follow through".

But then I thought, despite trusting them, I'm better off getting something I know works now, and got my OLED's

Glad I did. I'd be fuming if I had got one of these TV's.

And they are doing the same "promise" with the next gen? Bad form!

I see that the PS5 still does not support VRR either. Really bad.

I'm generally a Sony fan, but none of my AV equipment is from them now.

Soldato
Looks like it's still going ahead and maybe somebody dropped the ball or was misinformed.

Sony UK responding to people on Twitter saying it's still going ahead.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/sony-xh90-x900h-vrr-and-allm/td-p/3754225/page/6

It's still on the specs and features chart that it's coming in future firmware update.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xh90-series/specifications?cid=sco-eu-twresponses

Forbes contact states:

UPDATE: Robert Zohn of Value Electronics has been in touch to say that according to his Sony contacts, the VRR and ALLM gaming features ARE still scheduled to be added to Sony’s X900H/XH90 via the next firmware update, and that Sony will be releasing a formal statement on the matter soon

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...ion-5-tvs-not-really-ready-for-playstation-5/

Soldato
Well, that is good news for owners if true.

Think a lot of potential buyers (if they were even aware of news this may not happen) will be wary of relying on 'promises' now

Soldato
There doesn't appear to be any more zones in the x*9 pfald, so the lcd backlight tech has not massively changed ie. tending to mini-led.
leastaway the big xf*8 8k has still 320 zones.

Back
Top Bottom