Sony confirms PS5 won’t be joined by new PlayStation VR hardware

Associate
The only thing the article states is that PS5 won’t be released with updated PSVR at the same time. No reason if they have a new device done it won’t come out 6 months later.

Good business sense, both devices getting a duel release would cost a fair amount I would guess.

Soldato
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news...panied-by-new-playstation-vr-hardware-3799323

Disappointing as I'd really hoped we'd see PSVR 2 launch alongside the next generation Playstation.

The main reason I could think of is that PSVR as is isn't being fully utilized anyway.

The PSVR should have similiar quality to the rift but it falls well behind because to reach 120hz the game have to run with super low settings

On PS5 the same headset will be able to do Ultra high settings and/or even supersampling and so both PS4 and PS5 VR games will look like a next gen upgrade even though it's the same headset.

An upgraded VR headset will come, but maybe after a couple years

Soldato
The main reason I could think of is that PSVR as is isn't being fully utilized anyway.

The PSVR should have similiar quality to the rift but it falls well behind because to reach 120hz the game have to run with super low settings

On PS5 the same headset will be able to do Ultra high settings and/or even supersampling and so both PS4 and PS5 VR games will look like a next gen upgrade even though it's the same headset.

An upgraded VR headset will come, but maybe after a couple years

Biggest problem with PSVR isn't the headset, it's the move controllers. Though I suppose a completely new way of handling tracking would be needed to improve them significantly, which would require a new headset.

Soldato
I haven’t noticed many issues with controller tracking but I play games sitting down only and never standing due to lack of space. I think the tracking issues is because of the single camera that you have to use - when an updated headset arrives in a few years hopefully it uses inside out tracking

Soldato
Yep, the tracking of the move sticks is pretty terrible.....and the ice cream style doesn't really work imho I understand why they did it though.

PSVR2 must have inside out tracking, better controllers, no light leakage from below and a lens upgrade to remove that god awful effect where you can see the edges in your peripheral vision.

If they can somehow reduce it's size, that would be a bonus.

Soldato
OP
The only thing the article states is that PS5 won’t be released with updated PSVR at the same time. No reason if they have a new device done it won’t come out 6 months later.

Good business sense, both devices getting a duel release would cost a fair amount I would guess.

Yeah, that's true I guess. I'm sure we'll see a PSVR2 in the near future after the PS5 releases. As others have said the hardware is in need of a serious overhaul (higher resolution, Inside outt tracking, new move controllers, wireless connectivity, etc) to compete with current VR systems.

I wonder if the existing PSVR headset will be compatible with the PS5 :confused:

Soldato
Argh, not the direction I wanted Sony to go with VR. Feel like its still a little side project for them which sucks.

My faith is all in Oculus now to further this.

Soldato
I believe Sony is still all in on it's VR and yes the PSVR headset from the PS4 plugs in and works on the PS5.

Sony is trying not to make Microsoft's mistake which is launching two many bits of hardware at the same time which kills sales of the other

Let's say the PS5 is $500 and PSVR is $300 and they launch day 1. Sure VR enthusiasts will get both, but the casuals may just get the console and forget about VR. But if they launch PSVR2 a year or two later, the market has settled and all those existing PS5 owners will be happy to drop $300 to get the headset, thus increasing potential market share

Soldato
I’m expecting big things from the PSVR2, my guess is inside out tracking, wireless connectivity to the PS5 and controllers more akin to the Oculus Rift/S/Quest

Wireless is a huge ask that neither of the 2 big boys could do, even despite one of them pricing their headset at near to £1,000.

Soldato
There’s a HTC Vive wireless adapter, and a Chinese brand brought out the TPcast..
And ALVR and VRidge have proven it’s possible on a software level.
Yeah they are expensive and cost as much as the psvr.

And software level is so dependent on WiFi that I just don’t think you can sell it like that due to it being dependent on circumstances beyond Sony’s control.

Associate
Yeah they are expensive and cost as much as the psvr.

And software level is so dependent on WiFi that I just don’t think you can sell it like that due to it being dependent on circumstances beyond Sony’s control.
But they are readily available, despite the high price, once carrack has finished working on the 60hz mode on the Quest, ALVR would likely work very well. It’s doable, and for VR to get bigger it has to loose the wire

Soldato
I’m expecting big things from the PSVR2, my guess is inside out tracking, wireless connectivity to the PS5 and controllers more akin to the Oculus Rift/S/Quest

This is a definite possibility.

Sony could be waiting for mainstream second gen VR headsets. Even the best PC headsets are only gen 1.5. Sony could be waiting until they can do a real wireless headset.

Personally I don't care about the wires because I only do VR sitting down. However the inside out tracking is a mandatory because the tracking area and tracking accuracy is not good with the PS camera

Back
Top Bottom