Sony MDR-100 AAP - Need help deciding

Associate
Hi all,

So ive seen the aforementioned on sale for around £75 new and have been quite tempted to pick them up as a pair of travel/portable over ears, I cant find anywhere to demo them so was wondering if anyone could offer insight into their sound signature, I have the Fidelio X1's and have briefly heard the MDR-1a's, so a comparison to them would be great.

These would be replacing my Shure se215 in ears as they're 5 years old now, have been relegated to gym/running use and I'm finding in ears a bit uncomfortable now days.

Just need a bit more info to decide on the purchase.

Thanks!

Soldato
Haven't tried them myself but headfi users rate them above the 1R and 1A.
Bargain at 75 in blue, 85 in black. Send them back if you don't like them.

Associate
OP
Thing is atm I can only get them from a high street retailer as they have the buy now pay later option, not sure if they have the same return flexibility as the rainforest does. Thats why I wanted more info from the users here, headfi's all over the place with people liking and disliking them, maybe I read too much into it.

Soldato
Quite neutral sounding for a Sony, certainly less bassy than the MDR-1A. While not having the quantity of bass of it's sibling, the bass is certainly faster and sounds crisper and cleaner as a result. Decent mids and highs that gently roll off before becoming fatiguing.

My MDR-100AAPs share head time with my MDR-1As and HD650s, with the Sennheisers being my usual headphone of choice from my Schiit stack. If I want some thumping and growling bass then I reach for the MDR-1As but when I want to use my phone or FiiO X1 DAP my usual preference is for the 100AAPs more than their Sony sibling.

They also have this clever trick of being stupidly comfortable - the cushions are not the biggest but due to the oval shape my ear fits inside perfectly and I can wear them for hours without discomfort.

Back
Top Bottom