Sony - missed boat but separate agenda?

Soldato
Next Generation has an interesting article on an analysis of Sony's potential goals for the next generation games machines:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2866&Itemid=2

"The PS2 served many as a cheap DVD player in the console's early days, although the launch of DVD happened 3 1/2 years before the PS2 launch. The PS3 and its high-def format are launching closer together (after what Pachter implies was a well-planned console "delay"), indicating that Sony is targeting movie fanatics with its Blu-ray enabled console that just happens to play really nice-looking videogames."

Soldato
OP
Kreeeee said:
The built in player will be crap, they always are. If that's sonys aim then they are further up **** creek than I thought.

Your opinion is formed on 'what' basis?

Sounds a little 'fanboy' to be properly objective.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 360 is brilliant but I firmly believe that reserving judgement on the PS3 is more conducive to intelligent conversation. More to the point, Sony has something of a precedent with the PS2 in as far as marketing a product goes and a massive existing user base, I would hardly suggest that they are anywhere near afore mentioned creek, and they certainly haven't lost their paddles...

Soldato
Dosnt this hinge a lot on Blu-Ray beating HD-DVD? Which i personally cant see happening due to there typical manopolising of the market strategy..

They would be better off just making it regular DVD with a changable drive for blu-ray / HD dvd depending on which is the mor popular.. But seeing as u can get HD-DVD's and players already and there cheaper.. I cant see it being beaten .

Plu HD-DVD has got 50gb 3 layer discs out soon which will be more than enough to house full 4 hours of 1080p content.

Associate
TBH I think the pivotal battle will be the execution of there online platform, xbox live is seamless and for want of a better phrase, just works. If Sony crack this, I truely believe that they once again could tip the balance in there favor. Screw it up and they will effectively lose this round of the console war.

Soldato
i dont know much about the 2 formats, but after seeing the companies that are supporting both, i thought blue-ray had the most support, apart from microsoft obviously supporting hd-dvd, and Intel i think?

Man of Honour
SteveOBHave said:
Don't get me wrong, I think the 360 is brilliant but I firmly believe that reserving judgement on the PS3 is more conducive to intelligent conversation. More to the point, Sony has something of a precedent with the PS2 in as far as marketing a product goes and a massive existing user base, I would hardly suggest that they are anywhere near afore mentioned creek, and they certainly haven't lost their paddles...
Nintendo had insane success with the SNES but that meant jack when the N64 came out. Sony are not in a very strong financial situation and they are very much relying on the PS3s success.

Soldato
OP
Alpha178 said:
Dosnt this hinge a lot on Blu-Ray beating HD-DVD? Which i personally cant see happening due to there typical manopolising of the market strategy..

They would be better off just making it regular DVD with a changable drive for blu-ray / HD dvd depending on which is the mor popular.. But seeing as u can get HD-DVD's and players already and there cheaper.. I cant see it being beaten .

Plu HD-DVD has got 50gb 3 layer discs out soon which will be more than enough to house full 4 hours of 1080p content.

I'm not sure which will win out, but it sure is interesting to watch.

You'd have to agree that if you have a large number of Blue-Ray players out there then there would be a market for the media.

In as far as the HD-DVD thing goes, and the compatibility with HD-LCD-TVs it's early days yet and I'm sure any developments in the HD-DVD technology and any mistakes made will be watched closely by Sony.

Soldato
OP
Kreeeee said:
Nintendo had insane success with the SNES but that meant jack when the N64 came out. Sony are not in a very strong financial situation and they are very much relying on the PS3s success.

er - as the PS3 is being developed and built by Sony Electronics Inc. and they had a 2005 Revenue of 2.15B USD with support from the Sony Corporation (2006 revenue 65.58B USD) I struggle to draw a comparison between Nintendo, who had no other notable products, and Sony.

I'll happily eat my words if you produce some actual proof to Sony being in a poor financial situation, but I'm not seeing it.

Aside from that, Sony has posted an expected 900M USD loss on the PS3 launch, and their stock went up by 1.65%, thats a very weak financial situation that is...

Soldato
OP
EezerGoode said:
Sony has a fantastic track record of supporting duff media formats.

No argument there - MD and Atrac are just a pain. But HD-DVD and Blue-Ray are a slightly larger kettle of fish.

Personally I'd like to see some smart cookies come out with an open-source killer media and blow the big wigs out of the water... *sigh* dreams are free

Soldato
EezerGoode said:
Sony has a fantastic track record of supporting duff media formats.

Yeah like the CD :rolleyes:

Anyway even though HD-DVD players may well hit these shores in the summer, i wont buy one cos i will be buying a PS3 and i will be buying as such, blu-ray disks for my hi def format. (and i love gadgets etc) And the HD-DVD players that are out, u can play a whopping 6 movies on them, by the time the PS3 comes out, there will be quite a few BD movies on the go.

even if they do end up bringing out 3 layer 50GB HD-DVD's that will require buying another player, and even then it will only just be equal to BD, and also they have made a 200GB BD disk, so that aint all that important.

I dont see how anyone can say the PS3 is not in a strong position, it has the PlayStation brand behind it, which people know and love. They have a great track record with consoles, and they have great games, and a great back catalogue. People talk about nintendo Wii being about revolutionaising the way people interact with games etc, the PS2 has done an awfull lot in that respect and probably has the most varied interesting ways to interact with games around, from camera's to guitars its all there (might not all be Sony's own effort, but its on there platform, its them thats leading the way for the Wii imho)
I think the PS3 will be a success to be honest and unlike the 360 wont need contant upgrading (i.e. new bigger HDD to come, HD-DVD player to come)

Man of Honour
SteveOBHave said:
er - as the PS3 is being developed and built by Sony Electronics Inc. and they had a 2005 Revenue of 2.15B USD with support from the Sony Corporation (2006 revenue 65.58B USD) I struggle to draw a comparison between Nintendo, who had no other notable products, and Sony.
Do you have the source for sonys net profit for 2005? Compared to other years? I don't save every link I see showing profits so you can look for yourself.

Nintendo makes more profit than sonys game division. Sonys game division are holding the others afloat as their other products are decreasing in popularity. I never brought nintendos current products into this so I'm not sure why you did :confused: I merely used them to show popularity in the past gen doesn't guarantee success.

Last edited:
Commissario
I was reading that apparently the first HD DVD players are now on the market (initial shipment of 5000 or so have all sold out), and some of the companies that were previously only commited to releasing on Blu-Ray have started seriously looking at HD DVD again.

If that is true, it could mean Sony lose some of the advantages they had with Blu-ray if a lot of content that was previously going to be exclusive to it is also available on HD DVD.

Soldato
OP
JUMPURS said:
Sony only made $1.5BUSD in 2005, not over 2 as quoted

Sony's records page 42 of the acrobat doc ;)

and i got no idea on how nintendos works but Here is there anual report too i will let whoever's arguement it supports duke it out lol

Sources as requested

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=sony

http://finance.google.com/finance?cid=6288424

For the record, we are talking about the console as opposed to the games themselves. Sony Electronics make the console, Sony Games devision make the games...

Last edited:
Soldato
Sony would like you to believe they have a hidden agenda but since when has anyone bought a games machine for its movie capabilites? the ps2 & the xbox were both crap dvd players (the ps2 even more so).

I'd be worried if i were sony as they dont have the money this time to do what they did with previous consoles but microsoft do, survival of the fitest. If PS3 isnt a huge success i guess sony could be in real trouble.

Anyway, piracy will decide who wins as it usually does! its the best marketing the companies have ;)

Back
Top Bottom