Sony purchase Bungie

Soldato
Not sure there's any winners from this recent content wars just a whole lot of overpriced studios that will probably be dissolved in less than 10 years.

Still I guess Sony had to move...MS might be trying to snipe anything they can get their hands on.

Soldato
A necessary strategic move. Sony's very weak on live-service and that's the bread and butter of the market. Since they can't make their own hit in that arena yet they at least have to maintain the 3rd parties from getting scooped by M$, hence it also stays multiplatform. Not sure it really means much at all for us players.

Soldato
You think Sony and Bungie did this deal within 2 weeks of the Blizzard and Microsoft announcement?
I think they knew MS and Activision were talking after all I wouldn't be surprised if Sony at some point had a similar conversation. Its not out of the realms of plausibility that this was a backup option.

Associate
Hopefully they make something other than Destiny 3. I've not been impressed by any of the Destiny games tbh.

Soldato
Just speculation, but I've seen chat online about how it's not Destiny that Sony wants, but rather Bungie's experience with MP and GaaS. It'd explain why they're not making future Destiny content PS exclusive - they want Bungie to build multiplayer and live service versions of some existing and new franchises.

Multiplayer games set in the worlds of Ghost of Tsushima (like a greatly expanded Legends mode), Horizon, The Last of Us... There were also job postings months ago of Insomniac looking for people with multiplayer experience.

Interesting thoughts, but only time will tell.

Soldato
OP
Just speculation, but I've seen chat online about how it's not Destiny that Sony wants, but rather Bungie's experience with MP and GaaS. It'd explain why they're not making future Destiny content PS exclusive - they want Bungie to build multiplayer and live service versions of some existing and new franchises.

It's not really speculation is it? You think Sony paid 3.6b for Bungie only to never release anything again? There's a big new IP in the works that we know little about. They don't have a big back catalogue but they have a wealth of experience in the industry.

Soldato
It's not really speculation is it? You think Sony paid 3.6b for Bungie only to never release anything again? There's a big new IP in the works that we know little about. They don't have a big back catalogue but they have a wealth of experience in the industry.
What are you on about? Who said anything about them never releasing anything again? :confused:

Soldato
Destiny 2 by itself may not be a good deal.

But what Sony gets a 900 developer size studio who knows how to make single and multiplayer first person shooters - which Sony is going to need when Call of Duty becomes Xbox exclusive in 2023/2024

Soldato
The first good game I remember Bungie developing was Myth the fallen lords. What a fantastic game that was.
I thought they were bought out by Microsoft and still developing games for MS, but it seems they split in 2007 then signed with Activision blizzard in 2010 for 10 years. Guess thats now over and they're with Sony

Soldato
OP
What are you on about? Who said anything about them never releasing anything again? :confused:

It’s obviously not 3.6b for them to just continue with Destiny :cry:

TBF it might have been a response to the Bethseda acquisition and the Blizzard Announcement could have accelerated the time line.

This will have taken months, if it was a response to Blizzard is this even an adequate response?

Back
Top Bottom