Sony secures exclusive PS3 game with Quantic Dream

Soldato
PSU.com said:
Sony Computer Entertainment World Wide Studios (SCE WWS) has announced that the company will be working on a collaborative project with development studio Quantic Dream to deliver a “groundbreaking” exclusive title for Sony’s PlayStation 3 console.

President and Founder of Quantic Dreams, David Cage commented, “We always believed that 'next generation' meant more meaningful content based on players' emotional involvement. To us, PS3 is the only platform that can truly deliver on this promise, and SCE WWS is a group that is both inspiring and pleasant to work with."

"We're really excited to be working with Quantic Dream for the first time and to have this opportunity to once again push the gaming experience to realise a new level of interactivity and, in particular, to engage players at an emotional level never experienced before. We're looking forward to revealing more news on this special title later this year”, enthused Michael Denny, Vice President of SCE Worldwide Studios.

Founded in 1997, Quantic Dream has since developed a number of critically acclaimed titles including Fahrenheit (known as Indigo Prophecy in North America) and Omikron: The Nomad Soul. The company is renowned for it's philosophy on building an emotional impact between player and character through strong narrative-laden content. Unfortunately, little is else known about the company’s upcoming project for PlayStation 3, though you can be sure PSU will bring you all the latest details as and when we get them.
Link

Quite interesting. Not heard of the other games they have done though - anyone else played them?

Soldato
Sounds good although how long will it be until we see this 'groundbreaking' game?

I don't understand this part either -

article said:
To us, PS3 is the only platform that can truly deliver on this promise

What does this actually mean?!

Soldato
You can't be serious. Fahrenheit was a potentially fantastic adventure-style game, with a novel interface and interesting murder-mystery storyline, that went utterly ridiculous about halfway through, and was ruined by a laughable plot, unlikable characters, and boring, sub-rythm-game action sequences.

I can understand liking it because it wasn't a bad game in all fairness, but I don't get how anyone could think it amazing, and if the developers really think they delivered some kind of adult, thoughtful game because they squeezed a couple of awkward sex scenes into it, they're kidding themselves.

oweneades said:
Sounds good although how long will it be until we see this 'groundbreaking' game?
I think that's supposed to be Heavy Rain. The game that's apparently going to give us amazingly detailed, complex and emotional characters and storylines, and yet can't even get their demo models to not look distrubingly weird and inhuman:

171932906_09f43bb747_o.jpg

I don't understand this part either -

What does this actually mean?!
It's a mix of "Sony paid us lots of money so we're going to tell everyone how amazing their system is" and "The Cell processor is really, really powerful so we can make even more detailed stuff with it".

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm full of the snarkiness this evening.

Caporegime
That's actually a low res image that's had detail lost via compression. It does look better than that.

As for Fahrenheit being good/bad, isn't it each to their own? Personally I really enjoyed playing a game that had an interesting storyline, makes a change from the continual boredom of generic stories, war titles and such.
The thing that did it for me with Fahrenheit was that it was a game that was clearly directed by someone with knowledge of movies, for that reason its presentation is up there with any game you can think of (in terms of presentation).

If that's again brought to the table with their next game then I an eager with anticipation.

Soldato
Fair enough each to their own I guess, I just found the plot pretty damned stupid, and as an attempt to get anywhere close to book or film level storytelling, it would be laughed out by any serious watcer/reader of those two.

Also, yeah in high-res that pic is much better:

heavyrain.jpg

Caporegime
It's still compressed as an image, you can see around the edges etc..
But you have picked one of the real moments in the video where her face goes out of sync (I actually laughed at that bit as I watched it).

It was from an early video using newly programmed software that hadn't been perfected.

Remember, PGR3 didn't even run properly until 2 days before it shipped.

Soldato
The first 3/4 of Farenheit was rather enjoyable, but then it all just got a bit wierd and just seemed to end abruptly.
Still it is never a bad thing to hear about an exclusive with a developer with a decent rep (for either console) tbh

Back
Top Bottom