Sony WH-1000XM3's for desktop use?

Soldato
I'm considering replacing my current wired gaming headset and i'm wondering about getting Sony XM3s as they would also replace my cheap ear buds for phone/tablet use.

I'm just wondering if there any compelling reasons not to use headphones like XM3s with a desktop PC?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I'll voice one, i.e. personal preference.
Whilst some clearly love them. I didn't rate them at all.
Sure, the noise cancellation is VERY good. However, post that, I thought that my existing Sennheisers walked all over them, which brings us nicely back to the point about personal preference.

Soldato
I'm considering replacing my current wired gaming headset and i'm wondering about getting Sony XM3s as they would also replace my cheap ear buds for phone/tablet use.

I'm just wondering if there any compelling reasons not to use headphones like XM3s with a desktop PC?

Thanks

They're amazing for office use, wouldn't work without them these days, the noise-cancelling is class.

For home use though, particularly if you need to listen for the door or phone, not so much use :p

They are without a doubt the best wireless noise cancelling headphones....but even a <100 quid pair of open back cans like Grado are much better for music listening in quiet environments.

One thing they do have in their favour as well though is that they are supremely comfortable for all day wearing.

Associate
Pretty much this. Super comfy, ace noise cancelling (whether that be a good or bad thing), but sq wise they're hyped up typical Sony in house with massively bloated bass. Wouldn't be great for multiplayer shooters. And they lag over bt, would need to use them wired for anything multiplayer.

Soldato
They don't work for audio and voice over Bluetooth simultaneously for gaming.

You'd need to get something like the v Moda boom mic to use them as a proper headset. They work well for gaming though, footsteps are decent with noise cancellation you don't need them up so loud.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I dont need a mic as i only really play single player games so no issue there, i'm no audiophile either so i think i'll probably be fine with whatever sound profile it has and i'm assuming noise cancellation can be turned off when not required/wanted?

Soldato
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I dont need a mic as i only really play single player games so no issue there, i'm no audiophile either so i think i'll probably be fine with whatever sound profile it has and i'm assuming noise cancellation can be turned off when not required/wanted?

Yeah you can turn off NC.

By general audio standards they sound great, unless you're comparing to hifi nerd stuff you won't be disappointed. I listen to mostly electronic music while I'm working and they're quite well suited to it.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yeah you can turn off NC.

By general audio standards they sound great, unless you're comparing to hifi nerd stuff you won't be disappointed. I listen to mostly electronic music while I'm working and they're quite well suited to it.

You know, I find your comment about hifi nerd somewhat insulting.

Caporegime
You could get qcy T5's for phone and tablet use for £15 off AliExpress or £25 off eBay.

Then get a pair of k702 for £100 for gaming.

Total cost £115 and arguably you have a much better solution for both gaming and portable use with much better sound quality on the akgs.

Associate
I use the XM2's using aux cable for work and they are great. Use my webcam mic for Teams. Can easily wear them 8+ hours per day. Sound fantastic via my Bose Companion 5 which provides a nice LOUD volume. Can either use the Bose Control Pod or the side scroll wheel on my Logitech MX Master 2 to adjust volume.

Back
Top Bottom