Sony X Series Walkman owners, I have a couple of questions

Associate
So I'm thinking of getting a new mp3 player as my trusty Vaio Pocket is giving up after 5+ years of service. After looking at some of the spec me thread I'm considering the Sony X Series, in particular the 16gb version as I have no need for more (had the 40gb vaio for over 5 years and its not even half full and I probably listen to less than half of the music on it). I have a few question that aren't covered in any reviews.

1. Crashes. Has your X series crashed/frozen etc. I've noticed that the X series sports a reset hole, my vaio pocket started crashing the older it got and I now carry a paperclip attached to the case to reset it. Obviously this is frustrating.

2. Does it use any power when switched off? I'm assuming that the answer is not, that would be the logical thought, but the vaio pocket uses power when switched off (at a much reduced rate obviously). This means that if left for about a week (when new) the battery would be flat. Highly frustrating.

3. What happens when the battery runs out? When the battery on my vaio ran out you had to go through the setup process (touch pad config, more touch pad config, clock, date), which was really frustrating.

Answers to any of those questions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Soldato
I have the X1060 and haven't had any crashes so far, haven't noticed if it uses any power when off, as I seem to be charging it every other night, whilst adding videos/music. The battery ran out once and I just recharged it and used it as per normal.

Go for it mate, it's a superb player.:)

Soldato
things have improved a bit since the pockets were released:)

The only things i'd watch are the hold status and using noise reduction. If you enable hardware buttons when the hold switch is engaged (so it just locks the screen) i seem to have a habit of pressing a button when its in my pocket and running the battery down :p Also the NC does seem to gobble up the battery a fair bit quicker but i love it and the battery still lasts long enough.

Otherwise no, no problems. doesnt reset itself when the batter is dead. Never crashed, lasts seemingly forever when its not being used and sounds great. Ive got the x1050 :)

Associate
No issues with crashes and charging/power for me. My mate had a problem when he tried charging using a USB adaptor whilst watching a film, required a reset but was fine.

The only thing that has bugged me so far with this player, and i'm wondering if others have the same issue, is that when I'm playing all songs on shuffle and I leave it off for a few hours and come back it has reverted to the first song in my library.

Associate
Does no-one have any info on Napster 2 Go for these players? The same question was asked (not by me) on the forum of a big e-retailer named after a large river and there was no answer. I've Googled this myself but found no convincing answer. Napster don't have the player listed in their "compatibles" but have all the other Sony players. The box of the X and even the instruction manual don't mention Napster.

My wife and I share a Naspter account, so it would make sense to stick with a compatible player. I've been itching to buy one of these but without knowing one way or the other, my cash is staying put.

Help please.

Associate
Thanks for the help. I also found this link which almost confirms compatability accross the whole range. It therefore seems that Napster 2 Go will work with the Sony X-Series Walkman. Might go and get one now!

Associate
Quick update... I've now got the 16GB X-Series which is amazing! The sound quality is everything I'd hoped for and the noise cancellation works a treat. The player definitely works with Napster 2 Go as I'm currently transferring about my 20th album over now.

Brilliant!

Back
Top Bottom