**** Sony Xperia™ XZ Premium ****

Associate
The Z5 was the last great phone Sony made. Looked and felt stunning.

Their strategy since then is awful and their handsets have been mediocre at best, including this one which bizarrely seems to have larger bezels than prior models. Whatever the Xperia series phones had before that made them special is long gone imho.

Now if only Samsung would stop making shiny plastic toy-looking phones - they could step up to the Xperia's prior level of awesome.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Well that's a bit worrying, is the distortion issue present on all camera modes and other camera apps?

I'm seriously planning on this phone now after following the OP AMA on Reddit, so the OP5 is out and pretty much leaves the XZP left on my list. But seeing as the camera issue has been around for a month (same camera as the XZs) that doesn't really feel me with confidence. I guess I could wait for the Pixel 2 but current rumours doesn't really tempt me...

Soldato
OP
Well that's a bit worrying, is the distortion issue present on all camera modes and other camera apps?

I'm seriously planning on this phone now after following the OP AMA on Reddit, so the OP5 is out and pretty much leaves the XZP left on my list. But seeing as the camera issue has been around for a month (same camera as the XZs) that doesn't really feel me with confidence. I guess I could wait for the Pixel 2 but current rumours doesn't really tempt me...

Yeah hardware issue with new camera sensor. They will write firmware fix to correct the lines

Soldato
Decided to pick this phone up in the end last week. 6P battery life was getting bad and other issues started cropping up.

Already amazed with the battery life, even with Pokemon Go mixed in I'm getting 6h on screen time. And the UI is extremely smooth, I noticed a fair difference compared to the 6P.

Soldato
@Orcvader do you find that the "Phone Idle" process consumes a lot of battery power?

I picked up an Xperia X last week in the Prime Day sale to tide me over until the Pixel 2 drops, but the battery life is very sub-par because of this process. It consumes almost as much power as the screen :/ Apparently it's an extremely common issue on Xperia devices after they got Nougat. There are loads and loads of complaints online about it and Sony has yet to respond.

I was just wondering if Sony had managed to fix it on their flagship phone.

Soldato
Hmm now that you mentioned it just noticed it used about 16%, while screen is 44%. But I've no idea how accurate that is since I'm still getting a lot of on screen time out of the phone. A bit strange as well considering when I leave the phone idle doing nothing, the battery graph is just flat and doesn't seem to lose a charge.

I did disable some things like the smart cleaner though. Sounded like a RAM "cleaner" which from experience doesn't really help with battery and performance.

EDIT: I'll probably leave it overnight to see how much charge it loses.

Last edited:
Soldato
I took screenshots last night of the Screen and Phone Idle battery stats, and you can see that they almost used the same mAh. It's disappointing because I really like the phone, but there's little point me keeping it if I know that it potentially won't last the whole day :(

xqc8hg2.png

INwgL5t.png

RPVfntd.png

Soldato
So due to travelling between sites for work majority of my on screen time went into Pokemon Go:
Fy9MA5Il.png.jpg
RRKNaPUl.png.jpg
iLZoq7Xl.png.jpg

Really though I'm curious what Phone idle actually is. It's not as high as yours (double the time on but half the computed power usage) but it does seem to always be in the top 3 power users.

Back
Top Bottom