soo. broke my back

Soldato
Hi

Went on a segway rally today.

Fell off and broke my back.
Will be 12 weeks in bed to heal.

So that ruins my new job and the holiday i planned to go to tomorrow.

Greeeattttt

Caporegime
have heard more than a few injuries from this activity, hope everything sorts itself out. health is always more important than financial

Man of Honour
Did this happen on a mountain?

I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes life gives you lemons. It's what you do with them that makes the difference. You could put them in your mouth and run your tongue around them or you could cover them in a semi-viscous lubricant and have fun. You could also make a refreshing drink.

Good luck!

Soldato
Most crashes on segways are user error, they are very easy to control but if something goes wrong and people panic and try to jump off etc that's when injuries happen. You can see it frequently in the video posted above.

You fell off though? It's pretty damn hard to fall off them... How on earth did you manage that?

Soldato
Broke my back about 20 months ago, head on collision with a mound on a down hill track, forced my head upwards and then back into my shoulder blades causing a wedge fracture of my t3 and t4 vertebra. Cracked my helmet so very glad i was wearing one.

Did it on the Saturday and was at work on the Monday because the stupid doctor sent me home with severe bruising. Hurt like all hell as well.

what specific injury did you sustain? i was told they would have proffered surgery but because of the delay in finding the fractures the healing would cause complications and risk that didn't seem worth taking. I take it they haven't said surgery is needed?

Either way hope your feeling better soon!

Soldato
What are the bits that always seem to be falling off it in those crash videos?

You should take some relief in the fact you broke your back but didn't end up paralysed. I know a couple of people who did similar and are back doing everything they used to do beforehand.

Soldato
OP
I broke the L1 vert. Bit more than a fracture buts its "stable" so they dont want to do anything but dope me up and see if I can move in the morning.
I plan to get a second opinion from bupa in a couple of days though.

I dont know how I managed to fall off the silly segway, people tell me I hit a rock and it chucked me off and I did a flip and landed bolt upright on my bum.

Oh well.

What annoys me now if that my phone is low on battery and im here all night with no charger!

Soldato
A fracture is a break, a break is a fracture. they are all the same thing just different degrees of separation.

Make sure you are seen to and happy with the diagnosis before healing occurs, i have severe pain in my spine, shoulder and referred pain in my chest and arm pit but a repair would mean re breaking the two offending vertebrae and risking increased nerve damage, worse case scenario loss of movement.

Back
Top Bottom